Best floorstanding speakers for Cambridge CXA60 ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mc4, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vrøvl

vrøvl Well-Known Member

How about the Cambridge Aeromax 6 speakers? I would think system synergy should be good.

mc4 likes this.
  2. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

They are around £900, probably above the OP's budget. If I was spending £900 on floor standers, the Cambridges would not even make the shortlist.

mc4 likes this.
  3. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

Those considering the CXA 60 should note that Richer Sounds are selling it for £499 with a £100 discount on speakers. Similarly the CXA80 is £599 with the £100 speaker discount. The flash deal finishes tonight.

mc4 likes this.
  4. mc4

mc4 Member Thread Starter

Hy again,

Thank you for all your inputs helping me choose the best floorstanding speakers that I can afford to match my Cambridge CXA60.
    As I told earlier, I did test a pair of Master Audio Bronze 5 but I was not satisfied with the overall sound. They are better than my previous Bose 4.2, especially in medium frequencies, but I noticed here and there some "bright" sounds that hurt my ears... so have to try others.
    Fortunately I had a chance to try the Wharfedale Diamond 240 and at first sight they were huge, but two or three days later they were OK, and the sound was and is great. Much more bass than the MA5, the middle is OK and the high frequencies do not hurt anymore.
    I bought them ;)

Thanks ;)

5. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Mc4, checking in to see if you are still liking the wharfedale Diamond 240s with the Cambridge CXA60? Seems like a good combination. The 240s are 4 ohm and I believe the sensitivity is around 90 so curious if the CXA60 had any trouble driving the towers?

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

And they could be right. Or perhaps they are right, but have more discerning ears and it doesn't matter for most people. OR, they could be delusional. I also believe that unless your speakers are getting pretty good it is more difficult to hear any differences between amplifiers. And most definitely, the huge sonic differences between speakers are far greater than those between amplifiers...as are the effects of the ROOM.

If you are "...afraid to continue with bright, harsh and shrillness sound..." you need to think about the ROOM more, because the tile floor you mention is far more the cause of that than any equipment you have! Can you put in a rug (maybe just when you listen)? What are the walls/ceiling like? Layout? Can you post pictures? Treating the room and maybe changing the layout will matter a lot more than worrying about matching speakers to the Cambridge. (I'm not saying that doesn't matter at all, just that it is like a tertiary effect). I'd almost be thinking about directional horn speakers, to reduce energy hitting the tile in the first place. Possibly also changing to a tube amp if you want a more "laid back" sound, like a PrimaLuna etc.

My recent speaker recommendations that I think are excellent are the Focal 936, and the also neutral and not as expensive newly designed Monitor Audio Silver 300. My friend bought the 936s and has hard wood floors; the sound is not "forward" so maybe those would be good for you.

Dan Steele likes this.
  7. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I ended up buying the ELAC Debut 2.0 floor standers (F6.2) to pair with the Cambridge CXA-60, still breaking them in but like what I hear so far. They were crazy inexpensive last week for Black Friday sale. I am experimenting with different placement positions. Three Rear ports so some of the reviews have suggested at least 2 feet from the wall. I am switching from bookshelfs so they seem pretty tall (43 inches), but I already hear so much more detail compared to before, starting with some tracks I know really well.

OptimisticGoat and c-eling like this.
  8. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Congrats. I think you'll be happy with that combo for a good long while. And when and if the need for system tweaks presents itself, room treatments do offer a wealth of opportunities.

OptimisticGoat and Dan Steele like this.
  9. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Archguy, I hear a lot about room treatments but honestly dont know the first thing about them other than I should cover my TV with a blanket. I took a pic if you or someone else is willing to offer suggestions. My setup is in the basement and still have kids roaming around so need to have gear to play movies, heck they still play the Wii, so it is not just stereo only. The details: concrete floor with carpet, speakers are on spikes. Listening area is about 13 feet wide by 12 feet deep (on the couch my head is 12 feet from the facing wall, so 9-10 feet from the speakers which are 2 feet from the wall). However my basement is an L shape with the gear in the corner, the longer vertical goes another 25 feet, the shorter horizontal has another 10 feet behind the couch into a bar area (so total dimensions are 38 feet x 22 feet. Ceiling height is 8 feet in my listening area and then higher behind. The speakers are 8 feet apart and toed in about 20 degrees. My rookie guess is that I should eventually add some structure on my right to box in the sound? (Sub is hidden behind the arm of the couch on the left, And no TT right now, thats the hole at the bottom, earmarked for 2019 :cry:)

[​IMG]

OptimisticGoat, Archguy and c-eling like this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Nice set-up Steve!
    I've had my Polk TSI 400's for over a decade now, I've become so accustomed to them I'm so afraid of changing. I want new speakers but it's such a daunting task...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Dan Steele likes this.
  11. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Thanks Cory, I’ve been wanting to upgrade my speakers for a while. These are still budget towers but a big improvement, and all I need for now. Still need a TT, which will probably be a MOFI Studiodeck unless I stumble across a vintage one I like. But for now my target CDs like Dire Straits s/t (Japan, because I know you would ask) sound great to my ears!

12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

And that's all that counts!
    Been looking at budget's as well. Tough trying to 'test' new speakers via reviews. I've had my eye on Emotiva T1's or Tekton's Lore's for awhile now. I don't need anything massive or too analytic.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  13. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Those Emotiva’s look very modern! I looked at brands carried by Crutchfield (where I ended up ordering) and Music Direct, because I trust both of those companies and they have a 60 day and 45 day, respectively, return policy (I’m a little more cautious after reading the Soundstage Direct horror stories). For Crutchfield I would have had to pay $10 per speaker to ship back if I didnt like them, which made it an easy decision to buy them. I’m sure the Wharfedale Diamond 240 or even 230 would have sounded good too.

14. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Room looks nice, honestly. It's a whole lot better than most basements I've seen! Furniture and carpet look great from an acoustic standpoint.

One thing that comes to mind is the 'point of first reflection' issue--you can have someone hold a mirror along the side wall(s) and determine at which point you see the speakers from your favorite listening spot. Then damp those (e.g. with sound-absorptive panels).

Since it appears you're entirely open on the right side, damping the left side becomes even more critical. I'd also damp the walls behind the speakers, whether or not they have rear-firing ports. You can buy these little panels on eBay and use spray adhesive to attach them to the wall or do what I did: attach them to chipboard panels (in any pattern you like) which may then be moved according to need.

[​IMG]

If they actually have logotype on them, those would not be the ones I'd buy! Anyway, a primary virtue of these is that they're dirt cheap. I've made some (much) more elaborate ones from carved/pierced wood which I'll have to photograph some time.

I also see these which are nearly four feet tall, which could save some work. Then we'll get to talking about the ceiling, although your other half may have something to say about that.

[​IMG]

ETA: The other (unrelated) thing that occurs to me is that you may not be happy with your turntable so close to the floor. As much as I like the integrated effect of everything in its own place...not only will access be a concern but with so much carpeting there you'll probably have a static-electricity issue too.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Dan Steele likes this.
  15. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Archguy, I think these look great but doubt these will meet the WAF (wife approval factor), esp on the ceiling! I will eventually move the center channel speaker and TT up one level which will take it off the bottom.

16. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Looked at a similar combination (Cambridge CAX80?) today. Very nice.

Dan Steele likes this.
  17. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Hey OpGoat, yea there is a Cambridge CXA60 and CXA80. The 80 is obviously 20 wpc more and adds a usb port and balanced XLR inputs, and is $250 more.

18. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Like most of us, I'm naturally skeptical of audio journalism but it may be worth noting that What HiFi concluded that the CXA80 lacked the agility of the CXA60, which sent them over the moon.

OptimisticGoat and Dan Steele like this.
  19. OptimisticGoat

So, a couple more listening experiences and I agree with Archguys audiojournalists. Decided to spend a bit more $$ and tried the CXA80. I side by sided it with the Yamaha AS1100. Big yes to the CXA 60 and the Yamaha As1100 blew the CXA80 away. I would choose the CXA 60 over the CXA 80 but the Yamaha blew them both away at the same price point as the CXA 80. Now setting it up at home....

Archguy, Dan Steele and Martin K like this.
  20. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Here in the US, the Yamaha A-S1100 is $2000 and the CXA-60 is $750, not quite the same price point if we are talking about the same gear. I really like the Cambridge unit and hope you enjoy the Yamaha.

Archguy and OptimisticGoat like this.
  21. OptimisticGoat

They are $1000 apart in Au(1500v 2500) As is the CXA60 1500 v CCA80 2500). Who knows how they work this out. ? Anyway at the higher price point Cambridge evaporates IMHO. I would buy the Cambridge CXA 60 in a heartbeat.

Archguy and Dan Steele like this.
  22. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Oh, got it, in Australia, CXA-80 is same price as the Yamaha, CXA-60 is 1000 less than both. It is weird that there is that much disparity, separate from the exchange rate.

23. OptimisticGoat

It is weird. However we are used to that in Australia. Nothing makes sense. I can say that I love my new set up which is Cambridge free but I would buy the Cambridge CXA-60 in a heartbeat if I had to consider a second set up.
    Just spent a very big sum on my first new audio system for 30 years. Lots of learning going on and SHF forum has much kudos for considered responses to Audio queries.

Dan Steele likes this.
  24. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

The comparison is perhaps more interesting in the EU. The CXA80 is €800, and the A-S1100 is €1050.

25. OptimisticGoat

Don’t get me started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.