Best Genesis on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opti, Feb 4, 2005.

1. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

:righton: I got mine back and the replacement copy sounds fantastic. Thanks PDO!

danielbravo likes this.
  2. Some of the Atlantic CD originals are Virgin/Charisma masters as the disc was pressed in the same plant as the Charisma disc at the same time with the Charisma matix label, but Atlantic labels and packaging.

Ones I have seen like this:

Abacab PolyGram/Germany and JVC/Japan
    Genesis PolyGram/Germany and JVC/Japan
    ...and then there were 3 PolyGram/Germany
    Selling England by the Pound Sonopress/Germany
    Wind and Wuthering Sanyo/Japan

Peter Gabriel/4/Security PolyGram/Germany

The first three and PG4 are "target" CDs too if PolyGram made

3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Well, that clears some things up. A few years back I sent away for the import remaster of Trespass, as it was not released in the US, but I found it to sound worse than the cheap older version I picked up at a used store years ago. The used copy I have turns out to be a British Charisma "mastered by Nimbus" version. I almost sold it for $4 because I just figured the Virgin remaster would be better; I mean it sure looks a lot prettier!

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I sent my first copy back and told them I got a bootleg. They insisted it was a real copy. Horribly no-noised, nasty muted sounding CD.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So I guess the Americans aren't missing much by not having this Remaster available in the States. Although I have no idea how the MCA version that's available here sounds, as I lucked out with getting the UK Charisma on my first go-round.

6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm generally pretty satisfied with the Definitive Edition remasters. I have a Japanese LP pressing of Foxtrot and it sounds like Peter Gabriel's vocals were recorded a few rooms away from the rest of the band. His vocals don't seem so distant on the CD version. Oh and those Japanese mini LP CDs are really easy on the eyes as well!!

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The MCA CD sounds surprisingly similar in tonality to the UK vinyl. There's a bit more hiss but nothing horribly out of line for the vintage of the album. The UK vinyl has a little more sparkle and life but the MCA CD is a worthy replacement for the remaster. :laugh:

Take the Definitive Edition remaster in your hands, find a brick wall and throw it at the wall as hard as you can. Repeat until the CD shrapnel is no bigger than a corn flake. This is for your own good.

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Is this the only Definitve Edition remaster I should do this with?

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

YES. The others are a definite improvement over the original CD versions.

10. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I've seen claims here that the DER of _Foxtrot_ is also terrible.

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

'Foxtrot' isn't terrible, though it's not from the original tape. neither is 'Lamb Lies Down' (which IS from the original tape), though it's really nothing special. just one of many, many, MANY albums which I wish I'd kept the original vinyl instead. both are noticeable improvements over Virgin's first digital efforts. but maybe both are better served in the analog realm.

I had big hopes for both of these, especially considering how cramped (26+ minutes per side?) the grooves were. (though, again, I never owned an original 'Foxtrot', just the GRT Canadian copy. maybe the original isn't as good as I imagine? the UK 'Lamb' I owned was pretty nice, though.)

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I wonder why? Sounds fine to me. It's not the best recording ever made but the CD sounds really similar to the UK vinyl. Great album.

13. Jeff Carney

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I got a better copy. :D

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

for the record, there was at least one other chopped-up Virgin edition of 'Foxtrot.' mine was pressed by Sanyo, and included the index points for 'Supper's Ready.'

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I have the Defintive remaster of The Lamb and I was very disappointed. I think it sounds terrible and compressed. I never owned the previous cd version. I just listen to the many Live versions I have instead. That album sounds so good live with many great improvisations and more breathing room and dynamics.

Dertriumphdestodes likes this.
  17. See post #2 :)

EDIT - scrub that, Jim's link is far better.

18. Can you elaborate Jamie? Are you saying your DER of Foxtrot doesn't do what mine does? :confused:

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

the previous CD version is so far beyond disappointing, it's not funny. it sounds as if there's an air conditioner running full blast beside the microphone. try and find an original Charisma UK vinyl pressing. (god, I sure wish I hadn't tossed mine. sometimes I can be such an idiot.) or maybe the first Japanese LP (which I've never heard personally, but have been told by someone whose ears I trust that it sounds pretty darn good.).

danielbravo likes this.
  20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Thanks. How can I indentify it?

21. Jeff Carney

Can't agree here. I think Nick Davies did a fantastic job on The Lamb DE remaster. And if there is compression there ain't much. It's incredibly dynamic. I can almost guarantee the new 5.1 won't touch it.

Live versions of the Lamb are great fun though, I agree!

danielbravo likes this.
  22. Jeff Carney

My friends call me Jeff. :winkgrin:

Seriously though Phil, your opinion on the DE remaster of _Foxtrot_ really helped me out. As a result of reading about the challenges you cited with it I nabbed a UK Virgin/Charisma chopped cover of _Foxtrot_. I had seen but didn't buy it and after reading your opinion about the remaster I went back to the store the next day it was still there. $4.99! Sounds amazing!!! So good I haven't even A/B'd it with the DE remaster which I didn't have any longer anyway. One day I'll grab one just to compare out of curiousity.

23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

sorry I can't remember matrix codes. but if you get one with the large mad hatter on the labels (well, two of 'em, anyway) you should be okay. I think they moved to the small hatter before they changed stampers.

24. D'oh! What's wrong with me lately? Sorry! :D

25. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I picked up a Tresspass W Germany virgin/charisma....sounds very good ( still have not listened to the D Remaster)
    About a month ago, I picked up Genesis Foxtrot from virgin/charisma pressed in UK....not as good as the D Remaster, but better than the Atco US cd..