Best Genesis on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opti, Feb 4, 2005.

1. snowman

snowman Forum Resident

Talking CD's ... the original American and British (Nimbus) are obviously different 'cause my original UK's smoke the US remasters.

2. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

To me, unequivocably the remasters are the way to go on all of these. By the way, you picked the best 3, but Nursery Cryme and Trespass are excellent as well.

3. GP

GP Senior Member

For the DEs, I currently have just SEBTP, TOTT, and Live--the sound of those three is what has kept me from getting anymore DEs.

I came across an MCA Trespass recently for almost nothing. Despite the weird Trident Studio drum sound, I think it is surprisingly good.

My opinion might be a barometer for everyone else to avoid it though, since the DEs are so well liked. :)

4. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

I agree if you're saying that _Trespass_ and _Nursery Cryme_ are excellent albums, but if you're saying the remasters are the way to go on these, I must point out that the remaster of _Trespass_ is simply not as good as the original UK Charisma/Virgin issue.

danielbravo likes this.
  5. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

lol, I found out from this forum there does not seem to be a concensus about which version of Trespass is best. Good luck to me finding a copy I like the sound of ;)

6. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

I've been contemplating buying Trespass as well. I'm leaning toward the MCA disc; other considerations aside, it should be by far the easiest version to find in the United States!

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The best Trespass is UK Charisma 1092 by Nimbus.

danielbravo and Daniel Plainview like this.
  8. Jeff Carney

I think the concensus is the original UK Virgin/Charisma chopped cover.

9. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Don't get the remaster. Dreadful!

The MCA is closer to the UK vinyl. The only thing is some of the fades are a bit quick but it's mucho better than the remaster.

10. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

The now long gone original pressing I had (the ones with the covers in the grey border) had the subindexes, and it wasn't a Sanyo pressing I don't think. Whatever. The sub indexes never appeared on a pressing after.

Then again, not many CD players these days do sub indexes :(

11. Great Deceiver

Great Deceiver Active Member

What exactly do you mean by subindexes? Do you mean Supper's Ready was split up into separate tracks?

I think the MCA will be the one to get, as it's the easiest to acquire here in the states.

12. GP

GP Senior Member

Yeah, I'd love to hear the original UKs but can't seem to find them. I'm also curious about the original JPN CDs, but the last time I looked on Evilbay they were selling for $100-$150, which means they are officially out of my reach.

I like the MCA disc, but it is a little weird that most tracks aren't allowed to fade, they're just snipped, like right in the middle of a reverb decay. It's very good if you can ignore that fault anyway.

13. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

My copy of Foxtrot remaster has index points in Supper's Ready (if that's what you meant by subindexes).

14. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

No. CDs have the ability to have subindexes, so while SR may be track N, as long as your player supported it, you could skip to the next section within that tune, but still be track N.

I haven't seen a modern player recently that does it. Sad really. When I burn CDs and I'm doing live stuff that has a medley, I subindex still. Old habits die hard.

Ah, memories of my original Fisher CD player ...

15. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Call me crazy, but I like the remaster.

16. Jeff Carney

And this is after having *heard* the original Charisma/Virgin UK CD issue?

17. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Mine has the number CASCD 1020.

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes. Sorry, I meant to say CASCD 1020. :angel:

19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I started a thread about up the live ' Seconds Out '. Although it was only referenced twice (I think), it seems that the remaster might be preferred over the original CD pressing? Any opinions I am going to pick this one up soon.

20. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Imo, Seconds Out is one of the best in the Definitive Edition Remaster series. I used to have the original US CD and both the DER and the Japanese Mini LP CD sound much better to my ears. There's little to no noticeable NoNoise like on Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and especially Trespass. I say go for it! :righton:

Oh and there's some really fine bass tones coming out of Mike Rutherford's bass pedals on Seconds Out as well. I don't have a sub but it would probably sound pretty impressive.

danielbravo likes this.
  21. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Any opinions between the West German Target and regular USA pressings of Genesis S/T? I have both but have not really compared the two. My WG Target says nothing about being from West Germany anywhere but on the actual CD. Is this normal?

PAT

22. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Yup. I have both.

23. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Resurrecting this thread rather than starting another...

I was in a local store yesterday and I found that they just got in a bunch of old(er) CDs. They had Japanese-pressed Atlantic versions of "Duke", "Genesis" and "Invisible Touch" as well as a Target-looking disc that was pressed in Switzerland, of Phil Collins' "No Jacket Required". Any opinions on these? All of them were under $10 each.

FWIW, I have a German-pressed Charisma of "Duke" but straight US Atlantic CDs of the others.

Has anyone ever made up a list of the best versions of the Genesis catalog on CD?

Kevin

24. Jeff Carney

Here are my recs so far in this somewhat never ending project:

Trespass: MCA is the only way to go. Beats the original Virgin/Charisma by a MILE and the "remaster" by two miles. Both of those are no-noised.
    Nursery Cryme - Virgin/Charisma is slightly better than the DE remaster, but only by a hair.
    Foxtrot: Virgin/Charsima
    Live: Virgin/Charisma or Atlantic beat the DE
    SE: Virgin/Charsima
    Lamb: DE
    Trick: Original Atlantic (WEA US pressing) is best by a HAIR, followed *very* closely by the Japan pressed disc and UK Virgin/Charsima
    W&W: DE
    AttWT: DE
    Duke: Original Atlantic (WEA US pressing) by a nose, followed very closely by the Japan pressed Atltantic. Avoid the DE.
    Abacab: US pressed or Japan pressed Atlantics are fine.

25. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

My Virgin/Charisma CD is definitely not no-noised. The copyright on this CD is 1985, and noise reduction did not exist back then. (I haven't heard the MCA, so I can't say if that one is better.)