Best Genesis on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opti, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Have you got the replacement yet?

2. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I just got the Virgin/charisma Lamb and it sounds good. I thought the USA original cd of Lamb sounded terrible, but this sounds good. a lot more detail than the DE. Any comments?

4. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Does it have the buzz in one channel?

I'd love to get this one but I thought I had read that all version prior to the DE had used a faulty tape also used on early pressings of the LP.

I have the original Atlantic and if it weren't for that buzz it would be pretty good.

5. I also have a V/C. This has the buzz in both channels ...

6. Jeff Carney

Okay, was it both? I only recently scored an original Atlantic and haven't listen to it much but the buzz I had read about was definitely there.

I wonder if early Japanese pressings are the same? I suspect they are, but would like to know for certain.

The good news is that Lamb is really one of the best DEs.

7. jojopuppyfish

My V/C lamb says on the inner ring austria or australia or something with aus.

And I remember the Atlantic I use to own had the buzzing. I do not here that on the version I just picked up.

8. GP

GP Senior Member

Would you care to post the matrix info that's on the inner ring, if you get a chance?

I'd ask for an audio sample too, but I don't want to push my luck. :D

9. jojopuppyfish

dado austria cgscd-1-2

Which song or song part do you want me to sample from?

10. Jeff Carney

Any quieter section would be perfect!

11. jojopuppyfish

Nevermind. I can hear the buzz inbetween the end of In the Cage and The Grand Parade.

12. Jeff Carney

Yeah, I have a feeling this is on every pressing prior to the DE. It's only bad during quiet sections, of course, but still a drag.

13. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Yesterday, a WEA-Atlantic Duke arrived in the mail. Can't wait to hear it again--the way I remember it!!

Re: W&W...I found an Atco US copy (disc was made in Japan), and I honestly preferred it to the DE. Always thought the DE was a bit on the harsh side. Even with diminished bass, the Atco W&W sounded more "right" to me...

Still looking for a target of ATTWT, an Atlantic non-DE Seconds Out, and Three Sides Live. This has been a difficult hunt, but well worth the time and energy!

---Matt

:righton:

jp312 likes this.
  14. oldcuster

oldcuster Senior Member

Congrats on the Duke score! That version sounds so much better.

Now that you mention the Atco W&W, I think I'll try pick that up. A local store has a copy that I've been eyeing for a couple weeks. (I've never owned any version of it)

15. CybrKhatru

Thanks....!
    This was the version I had waaay back when (1986 or so), and I'm looking forward to hearing what I've been missing.. :D

---Matt

16. Jeff Carney

The WEA _Duke_ is just plain as good as Duke can sound on CD, IMO. It beats the earlier Japan pressing (the early US pressing on JVC matches the Japanese, btw) by just a notch. The reason is that it's just a *tad* duller and sounds a bit less digital as a result. "Duke's Travel's" you can just CRANK on the WEA and it will never cause earbleed. The Japanese pressing (US JVC) is good but gets a bit tinny, particularly at higher volumes.

I worked long on deciding which I preferred on this one. And I can highly recommend the WEA, but the Japan pressing or US JVC is also very, very good.

The DE is just too EQd and maybe a bit compressed. No comparison, IMO.

17. CybrKhatru

Jeff,

I haven't compared them yet, but at this point, I'd be willing to bet that it IS at least a little compressed. So far, I've detected at least some compression on virtually ALL the DEs when comparing them to the earlier versions. Looking forward to doing my own "shootout" this weekend!

---Matt :agree:

18. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

I'm sure the SACDs that are due out May 03, oops, I mean Sep 04, oops I mean Apr 06, oops....

will sound the best. ;)

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Been away for a while so don't know if this has been talked about yet. I found a copy of the Charisma Genesis "Live" CD and compared it to the DE version. It's definitely the version to have. Much nicer, fuller and clearer than the DE. The DE is a bit thin on the low end and comes across as being anemic and bright. BTW, the levels were pretty close which surprised me.

20. Jeff Carney

Agree, Jaime! :agree:

I have a sonopressing Virgin/Charisma of Genesis _Live_ that is just plain incredible. The original Atlantic that Zal did is also on that level and both are so good I have them both.

I suspect the DE had some no-noise used. None of the DEs are loud, in fact they all pretty much match the older issues as far as volume. That's one nice thing about them but most of them still can't compare with earlier pressings, IMO.

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Welcome back Jamie! :wave: I was going to start a where's Jamie Tate thread!

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

They'll be on "Dual-Chip" by the time they come out!

23. Jeff Carney

They are going to be remixed and judging by what I've heard from Platinum Collection, probably ruined.

Frankly, unless the change their mind and issue the original mixes of these albums, I couldn't care less if they ever issue them. :shake:

24. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

I have just received the W&W Atco made in Japan disc purchased from a forum member and it sounds great to my ears, far less bright that the v/c and a touch more bass.

jp312 likes this.
  25. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

In terms of getting one package for someone who is a Genesis fan, I think the Platinum Collection is clearly the way to go. In addition to spanning all studio records from Trespass in 1970 through Calling All Stations in 1997, it's a budget priced CD selling usually for about $20 (not bad for three discs!). It is true that a few classics are missing like "Watcher of The Skies", "In The Cage", "One For The Vine", "No Reply At All", "Man On The Corner", etc. Despite this, its a great set.

Now some will say this is not the way to go, because some of the tracks are newly remixed (and slightly different versions than you might recall). Despite this, I still say if you are going to own one Genesis collection - this is it. If you are a casual listener of Genesis you probably will only notice very slight changes on a couple of tunes and I'm guessing that they will not bother you if you don't want their catalog.

Dave