Best Group In 1967?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Sep 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Just call me a nerd, I can handle it! :)

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

The Doors

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

:D

4. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

+1

thehatandbeard likes this.
  5. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

6. The Doors.

douglas mcclenaghan likes this.
  7. Simple,
    rock and roll was ground zero of the then culture wars, the Monkees were seen as a fabricated group (session players, outside writers) very synced with radio, TV, and records, in a way most bands trying to make it did not get. They were essentially a teenybopper group they experienced a generational revision with Xers and Millennials (essentially those not involved in the 60s, less baggage ). The Monkees themselves went out of their way to prove their cred by hobnobbing and supporting hipper icons: Hendrix, Zappa, Beatles, Buckley, etc.,

SG47 likes this.
  8. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

"Groovin" by the (Young) Rascals was an instant classic with a sound that still sounds fresh 52 years later.

It is one of those rare records that stands apart from the music scene of it's era, and yet manages to capture the zeitgeist of it's time. That difference created a sound that turns out to be timeless.

rockinlazys and Crimson Witch like this.
  9. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

*Group* presumably excludes solo artists, even those backed by a nameless group of session players (?) I would also assume the Monkees are disqualified for this reason, as the majority of their recordings feature only one (sometimes two) of the four singers, backed by uncredited session vocalists and instrumentalists from the Wrecking Crew.

On this premise, the pop/rock groups under consideration are :

Rolling Stones
    Yardbirds
    Beatles
    Pink Floyd
    Pretty Things
    Canned Heat
    The Hollies

From this short list, the Rolling Stones are my favourite at the moment.

alexpop likes this.
  10. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

we all know that it was a teenybooper craze... don't freak out, we know this...

but there are some great songs here written by Carole King and Neil Diamond and Boyce/Hart and played by The Wrecking Crew (and contemporaries.)

11. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

The Beatles.

rockinlazys and Crimson Witch like this.
  12. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I was in grade school, so it was a The Beatles first, maybe The Monkees second.

13. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Are those 1967 numbers. Those numbers match today for the Monkees, but Sgt Pepper has 11,000,000 in sales and MMT has 6,000,000.

14. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Pretty much nails it for me, though I would add Jefferson Airplane and, if the Music Gods had been kinder, Moby Grape.

If I really gave it some thought, I could add a few more since... 1967 was my favorite year for music ever!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

If there was a Poll, it'd be the Beatles....

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  16. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

All I Need-You're My Everything-Loneliness Made Me Realize It's You That I Need-I Wish It Would Rain-I Truly Truly Believe...The Temptations,1967.

17. zen

zen Senior Member

Lotta best groups, no doubt.

18. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

I would argue that the Monkees were a "group," like other acts such as the Temptations, the Four Seasons, etc., consisting of more than one vocalist.

I wouldn't call the Mamas and the Papas a "band" because they don't play their instruments (although John played guitar, at least on stage). But they were a group.

The Monkees were a group, although on a good part of Headquarters they actually functioned as a band.

Once they got started and became a Frankenstein monster that turned on their creator (Don Kirshner) they exercised more control and artistic input than other vocal groups that were part of a hit-machine who have made the RnR HoF (like The Supremes).

19. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

The Doors. Cannot think of anybody that would surpass the debut album and Strange Days that year.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    douglas mcclenaghan and finslaw like this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The Byrds in the US and The Ian Campbell Folk Group in the UK.

zither likes this.
  21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

That's a fair point, one which I had in fact considered. Though vocal groups like the Mamas & Papas, Four Seasons, or the Temptations typically featured all members singing their own vocals whereas the Monkees (with the exception of Headquarters) typically featured only one member on lead vocal with session singers providing backing, except in the few cases where Mike and Mickey teamed up on harmony, or Davey and Mickey.
    I suppose the case is stronger in favour of considering the Monkees, if little else, a vocal group. In lieu of specific guidance from the OP as to what is considered to define a group in the classic sense, I did not include vocal groups that relied on session players for the majority of their recordings. In light of the strong basis for your argument in favour of the Monkees, I consider them to be among the very best groups of 1967.

alexpop and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  22. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

the who sell out is such a better piece of art than pepper

Crimson Witch likes this.
  23. KFC_NY

KFC_NY Forum Resident

Lol! A couple of years back I got some old Mickey Spillane's from a used book store. Very entertaining, but like he says. Not caviar! Soundtrack to the Sound of Music was almost immovable from the UK #1 album spot from 1965-66 unless you were called Beatles, Stones or Dylan. It even topped out a few times in 67. You can't Argue with the Monkees' sales in '67, and I like their hits, very well crafted Pop, but, again, salted peanuts and not Caviar.

carlwm and docwebb like this.
  24. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Crimson Witch and SG47 like this.
  25. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

1. The Beatles
    2. The Kinks
    3. The Who
    4. Pink Floyd

Crimson Witch likes this.