Best hardware acquisition of 2017

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I'm neglecting to mention my Christmas present from my wife........The Analysis Plus Power Oval 10 Power Cord. Since I just got this and only has about 50 hours on it. Mark @ A+ says it needs around 300 hours......but last night I was starting hear some really nice musical additions, I know there will be benefit to this upgraded power cord....Just not at a point to give my full impressions yet.
    [​IMG]

DrZhivago, Echoes Myron and bradleyc like this.
  2. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I purchased two of these carts NOS on eBay for $36. They outperform my AT440MLa. I am listening to a record right now that I have never heard cleanly before today.

[​IMG]

3. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

I wound up replacing everything this year. First my B&K amp went out so I bought a Crown XLS 1502. Don't laugh, it works great, but may have too high a noise floor for very efficient speakers. Harvey's flooding took care of my B&W 683 S2's (and the dedicated listening room). The housse was so trashed we sold it to some outfit which will tear it down. For my new apartment bound life I picked up some LS50's. The new speakers revealed my Audioengine D2 was a bit weak, so I found a Grace M9xx on blink, new condition for a used price. All my analogue assets went to the curb, soggy and molding. I have a pair of 25 year old steel stands which survived the storm now loaded with lead shot recently purchased from some redneck gun shop, 25 pounds total. The new speaker wires are 14 ga solid copper and come from Home Depot.

timind, Echoes Myron and patient_ot like this.
  4. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

And you live a lot closer to COOPERSTOWN than me....I'm Jealous to the core!!

5. doublenaught

doublenaught Forum Resident

I finally went all tube this year with a pair of Quicksilver Mono 120's with KT150 tubes.

6. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Modwright Oppo 205 and Sony 75xbr900e.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

LOL! I guess if I was not a Georgia and Virginia fan, I could do more given the red reel in the avatar.

By the way, this is the Sony ADR-5000 from the Sonoma room.

hvbias likes this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Definitely the Sony HAP-Z1ES player.
    Sweet sounding Hi-Rez DAC and a punchy, dynamic analog section.
    I came for the sound quality but stayed because of the play list Ap convenience and found myself using the internet radio tuner more and more- best sounding tuner I have ever heard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Great machine! You should tune into Chris Frantz (Talking Heads drummer) show on WPKN as well. Most Fridays in the afternoon.

10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I bought two pieces this year- an iFi iPhono 2 and a MoFi Ultradeck with the Ultratracker cartridge.

That's actually wrong. I bought a 2016 Rega P3. Upgraded it. Didn't love it. Sold it.

My favorite by far is the Ultradeck. The iPhono2 is awesome as well, but I'm thinking of moving higher up the food chain. That'll take a while, as I think it's going to be a big jump to appreciably better the iPhono 2.

11. Andy Boyd

Andy Boyd Forum Resident

Adcom GTP-400 preamp, used, $60.

12. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Pro-ject Pre Box S2 DAC. Great DAC with MQA, especially the price.

LeeS and RND4mGuy like this.
  13. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Love it! The best-sounding room in our small place is an even-smaller sitting room that gets lots of traffic (for a sitting room). I picked up LS50s (wired version) that I can place properly on stands when the kids are asleep and move out of harm's way for casual use (as below) when they are not. Magnepan .7s were my other candidate, but it would have been much more difficult to get them on the piano. :) My other main purchase this year was the Outlaw RR2160, which I really like.

[​IMG]

winston1156, BDC, timind and 7 others like this.
  14. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I bought a couple of tonearm cables this year which were exceptional additions to the system as were the two hardware purchases I made.

The most expensive, at $120, was an AT3MONO/LP cartridge which was a serious bang for the buck.

[​IMG]

The only other piece of hardware I purchased, which definitely qualifies as the biggest bang for the buck this year, possibly ever, was a grade 3 silicon nitride ball from Boca Bearings to replace the steel ball in the bearing of my Gyrodec. That hardware cost all of $7 delivered! So I think I got off pretty easy this year.

[​IMG]

15. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Wow you should isolate those speakers from the Piano! I highly recommend the ATS Acoustic Foam Monitor Isolation Pads that I use on my desk. Look them up - not expensive but extremely effective.

16. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

For me, it was a combination of hardware that makes it a nice system, thus hard to select the best.

I added the following to my main music system this year:
    Two Parasound a23
    Two minidsp 2x4
    Seaton Submersive F2 (twin 15" woofers).
    47" inch TV

17. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Woo Audio Firefly.

My first headphone amp.

Really made my Nighthawk headphones sing.

[​IMG]

jerico, LeeS, BD2665 and 6 others like this.
  18. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

The Delos is so far ahead of anything that I've previously owned. It's hard to compare. It's definitely the cartrige I'll stick with.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

As noted, that's just to get them out of the way. Plus, the piano is filled with sand. Not really. ;)

20. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

Replaced my Eastern Electric M520 amp with a Nord Acoustics Hypex Ncore based amp. It's pretty amazing how good Class-D has gotten. Love the sound, the fact I can leave it on and it's always ready without warming up the tubes and how much cooler my listening room is here in Tucson.

[​IMG]

timind, Catcher10 and Bananas&blow like this.
  21. triple

triple Senior Member

This has to be one of the most impressive things I heard in 2017. About 40% of audiophiles have trouble grasping the concept of power cords, yet you get one as a present, from a lady no less. Amazing. Congratulations!

DrZhivago, psulioninks and Andy Boyd like this.
  22. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Marantz CD6006. Has really brought my cd collection to life. Also, in general the redbook on my SACDs sounds at least as good on the Marantz as the SACD layer on my universal (Sony bd-a x800). Sturdy piece of gear, looks great, and I like that if I want to listen on phones dont even have to turn on the receiver as it has its own amp, plus usb port.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and M.R.Collins like this.
  23. russk

russk Forum Resident

A Ray Samuels F117 Nighthawk Phono Preamp, a new Samsung 4k TV, and an Amazon Echo. Also a mid century modern stereo console to hold all my gear and a big chunk of my albums.

That Nighthawk is just amazing. Really surprised you don't hear more about them.

LeeS, bluemooze, avanti1960 and 2 others like this.
  24. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Been an unusual year for me as I actually bought several items...in reverse order of my "best".

#4 Van Alstine Ultravalve amp - Had been considering this item for some time. I was actually worried that it might go out of production, and I really wanted a tube amp for use now and then. AVA emailed a nice coupon which made me jump on it. Rated #4 only because it requires speakers that are decently efficient to work best.

#3 Vandersteen 1Ci speakers - Bought to use with the AVA amp above. A really nice entry speaker that sounds great once it is set-up right. About the perfect size for my room and mates well with my tube amp - it is happy with all kinds of music.

#2 Quicksilver Line Stage Preamp - A very simple line stage that is an incredible value for $1,000. The fact that it uses 12AT7 tubes rather than the much more expensive 12AX7 variety allows for affordable tube rolling. I love the simplicity, style and most importantly, the sound of this thing!

#1 VPI Super Prime Scout turntable - This is a unique product put together by Upscale Audio that I just purchased this month. It's basically a Scout motor and plinth (finished in white no less) with everything else upgraded with either Classic or Prime parts.

[​IMG]

A standard Scout is $2,200. For $600 more ($2,800 total) I got:

VTA Base = $1,200
    10.5" Arm = $1,000
    Prime/Classic Platter = $1,000
    Classic Feet = $400
    Clamp = $150
    Anti-Skate Device = $100
    Cool white color...Priceless!

That's $3,850 in upgrade savings for $600. Then add $265 saved in sales tax and free FedEx shipping that would have cost about $100 otherwise...and you've got $4,200 worth of benefits from this purchase! Best deal of the year by far and the table sounds like a million $. :righton:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  25. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I bought some good gear this year...

B&W 805 D3's for main system
    KEF LS50 for upstairs
    Rega Elicit R for upstairs
    2x Rega RP6 turntables w/Exact for both systems

cdgenarian, LeeS, Morbius and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.