Best hardware acquisition of 2017

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I get it, I like to smoke too :cool:

2. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

That Thorens/Pioneer sx combo is a thing of beauty. Congratulations! I love the simplicity of it as well.

HiFi Guy and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Thanks man.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. Bill

Bill Senior Member

With my retirement to the Eastern shore, built a new house featuring a music room over the garage so bass is not a problem for my roommate of 40 years. Used the big move above ground to tune up my LP 12 turntable, treating myself to a Hana Shibata cartridge, replacing my Benz Glider after 19 years of flawless service. Sounds great! Happy new year, everybody!

5. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

Parasound Jc3+
    Made a huge difference in my system to the point that my wife also called it out randomly.

Close second is the Sumiko Pearwood Celebration 2 cartridge that I got from a member here via the classifieds.

But...there’s one last gift to myself coming, we’ll see if it makes it here before the year runs out
    (Fingers crossed)

LeeS, Kristofa, Catcher10 and 4 others like this.
  6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

(2) Ge- VR-1000 vintage phono cartridges. Best sounding cartridge I have ever owned.

PhxJohn and bluemooze like this.
  7. Anthem MRX720 AVR.

After 10 years of Denon AVRs (and one Onkyo) with Audyssey room correction, I decided to go with Anthem and ARC.

I never really got Audyssey to produce satisfactory results in my room, but with the Anthem, my multichannel rig has never sounded this good.

Kristofa and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

For a vacation home, I bought two Oppo 103’s on closeout for the price of one, plus a Denon 300 automatic turntable to play any impulse purchases on a TT that won’t destroy the grooves.

LeeS likes this.
  9. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Functional: Pioneer SX-880. One owner in beautiful condition.
    Still unsure: Kenwood KW-60 tube receiver 1966. I have not yet done anything with this. Planning on taking it to an expert when funds permit.

10. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Look up Washington DC WPFW 89.3 if you like Jazz.

avanti1960 and Bill Why Man like this.
  11. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

the only bit of kit i added in 2017 is a Orb DF1i vinyl press, its already paid itself off and i love it to bits.

12. JP

JP Forum Resident

13. Steeve

Steeve Forum Resident

I've got a pair of the passives as well, great speakers.
    It's hard getting the balance between the normal weekly family activities and a Part Time audio hobby. Generally its just me and my partner at home and she has no interest in hifi and little interest in music.
    I usually (for the last 5 years) get the hifi out once a month on a Friday night till Sunday lunchtime (when I know I've got a clear run). My set up space is in front of our dinning table and involves moving 10 chairs away to another room. On Sunday nights we have between 6 - 14 for dinner so hifi is part time around this and family sporadically coming to stay once or twice a month (Sat through to Tuesday).
    A couple of times this year I have had it out and set up for an hour then got a call that family are on the way to stay then had to put everything away. We do enjoy their visits and company so I have been patiently waiting for a workable solution without moving. As the grandchildren get older it is going to be nice to share the music with them but they are currently at that age that every object is to be strength tested by pushing, poking ,slamming and thrown either to see what happens next or just cause they feel like it. I had one near miss when the 3 year old found my Chord 2Qute under a shelf (I thought out of sight). His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree as he thought he found something new to slam his into the wall. I saw him just in time and rescued it.
    This is what has fueled the Ls50 wireless purchase. I can now enjoy it more often and put it away with no fuss (and still get reasonable quality sound). I will still look forward to setting up my main system but when I know I've got a good run.
    My partner has taken her daughter and grandchildren away ( from boxing day till 30th )so I have got the chance to have the house to myself for 5 days so am enjoy giving the hifi a chance to breathe.
    I find it interesting that you have a similar situation having to move speakers around as the time allows you a chance to listen. I'm sure that there are plenty of people doing the same shuffle on this forum.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    timind, RND4mGuy, JackG and 1 other person like this.
  14. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

I bought an SPL Auditor headphone amp and a pair of Sennheiser HD-800 headphones this year, and my speaker listening is practically nonexistent at this point, while my music listening is is way, way up. Never thought It could happen to me!

JNTEX likes this.
  15. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Nice find!

16. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Arc Audio XDi 600.4 car audio amplifier. Eighth amp I've installed in my car, and it finally ended my search. Amazing sound, ample power with minimal current draw, tiny footprint. Works beautifully with my Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit and two pairs of a/d/s component speakers.

Bhob and HiFi Guy like this.
  17. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

pics?

PhilBiker likes this.
  18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

sorry. Dont know how to post them!

19. Perhaps it’s a synergistic tie between my Schiit Valhalla 2 and Sennheiser HD600’s.

This transformed my headphone experience in 2017, especially with the addition of the JJ Golds.

Or perhaps it was the Duelund DCA 16ga speaker wires, which have added a whole new dimension to my living room listening experience!

Ah, decisions...

Happy Holidays to You All,

Bill

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Wow! Super sweet!

HiFi Guy and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

how could i forget the new silver and blue Lava Lamp as well as the Record Doctor V ! both items are indispensable!
    i clean all new records (as well as a steady stream of my collection). permanently eliminates static even in the dry cold winter.

Andy Boyd and russk like this.
  23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

nicely done. is this basically a prime now?

24. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Kristofa and displayname like this.
  25. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

I upgraded this:

Rega P3 - 24 TT/Exact cart/Fono MM/Mira 3 integrated/Rega Ear headphone amp/HD600/Dali Zensor 7 speakers

To this:

Rega P7 TT/Exact cart/Rega Aria phono/Rega Cursa 3 pre-amp/Feliks Audio Euforia headphone amp/HD800/Consonance Cyber 800 tube mono power amps/Rega RS5 speakers (although i still have my Dali's)

Quite a satisfying lot of upgrades. Now i just need a P9, RP8 or RP10, Apheta 2, Exon 3 monos (to bi-amp with) and Rega RS7 speakers or higher and possibly an Apollo R or an old Saturn CD player to replace my old Rotel RCD02.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.