Best Hardware acquisition of 2020

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tartifless, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I do remember one of your tables being a vintage Technics...am I Wrong? With the Eclipse and Bardo, you're certainly playing on a different level from most folk around here. I did have the pleasure of hearing a SOTA Eclipse once. To see it in person wasn't what I would say was the most stunning table but to hear it certainly was a knockout! There's a lot of engineering that went into the design. This one had the vac for the platter. Still one of the best tables I've heard. The. Bardo...would love to hear one. Certainly an outstanding company...Ive always admired their designs. You're blessed to have such quality gear.

avanti1960 likes this.
  2. Slippers-on

Lovely table!

JorgeGvb, Dan Steele and Sneaky Pete like this.
  3. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Purchased in 2020 Rega P3 w/ Hana EH & Groovetracer Reference Subplatter.
    Anthem Str Integrated Amplifier

both excellent

4. Mister Pig

Mister Pig I didn't Choose Farm Life It Chose Me

Yes I did, I had a Technics SP 10 MK II, also a Denon DP75 in a VPI plinth, and was trialing an older SOTA Star Sapphire to see what was possible. I decided to let all of the tables go to get a reference table in the SOTA Cosmos Eclipse. I then had the good fortune to come across the Well Tempered Reference as a local CL sale, and I was supposed to stop at two tables. I did enjoy my direct drives in the Technics and Denon, so trying a modern direct drive in the Brinkmann made a lot of sense. Its odd in that the Bardo does not have that quick strart up characterisitc that the previous tables did, its more like waiting on my belt drives to come up to speed.

Each table is unique in its own way, and I enjoy spinning records on each of them. I really should settle on two, but can't bring myself to do it. I sure could simplify things in the system if I did so. But I am blessed to own them, so I enjoy them...after all its my primary hobby.

Slippers-on likes this.
  5. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

1. ESS AMT1e monitors, VG+++ condition for $75.

6. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

2nd big purchase o' the year - Croft 25R preamp with phono stage. It's really sprinkled some magic.

7. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

Well I have now had some time with the Crofts and on first set up I was a little disappointed with the sound as it was a little veiled. After changing my interconnects from QED to Van Damme I had a small improvement. I am now thinking my speakers are not up to the task (DALI IKON 6 MK2) as I was lacking bass and focus. Changed my speaker cables from QED Silver to TALK copper cables and WOW!!! everything snapped into focus. I am now in awe of this kit, how can you get this quality of sound for this price? it really is superb and i think you would be hard pressed to beat these Amps for under 10 grand. My next upgrade will be my Turntable from Rega P2 to Rega P8 or 10 but don't think I will be changing the Crofts for a long time, I am nearly at my audio nirvana.

Ingres3225, mreeter and Shiver like this.
  8. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder..

Rega RP1 turntable with an AT VM95E cart in place of the standard Carbon.

I can't see me upgrading this turntable (famous last words) other than swapping out the stylus for something more exotic in the AT range.

alan967tiger, GyroT, plastico and 2 others like this.
  9. Ingres3225

Ingres3225 Forum Resident

That's great to hear as I'm off to audition the phono stage, pre amp and power amp in the 'R' range tomorrow- the dealer doesn't have my Klipsch Forte IIIs but I'll be taking in my current amp for a comparison and may end up home demoing as well- your initial impressions have got my juices flowing for tomorrow!

Netnomad likes this.
  10. Mister Pig

Mister Pig I didn't Choose Farm Life It Chose Me

Yes the one I bought was from cody_the_cat, I had previously bought an Esoteric E-03 phono stage from him a year or so earlier. Nice guy, I have met him since I was able to pick up in person and not have to worry about shipping. Actually, just before I decided on this table I was in the closing moments of buying a table in your neck of the woods, a Transrotor Fat Bob. Anyways, the Brinkmann is an interesting table as its nicely made, very unobtrusive on the music, and just lets the cartridge and arm do its thing. The bearing is a bit of a marvel, as I can turn it off, pull the record weight and album, put it back in its sleeve and return it to the rack, pick out another album and get it out of the sleeve...then have to touch the bottom of the platter to stop it so I can put the next record on. I believe I could do better for an arm for it, but getting blank arm boards is a bit tough, and its meant to be my daily driver so I don't really know I need a lot better than the Audiomods, but I do think the table is capable of supporting higher quality arm and cartridge than what I have on it. Owners seem to rave about the tube power supply upgrade, but I can't wrap my mind around how that is a significant improvement, especially at the $4K range.

Slippers-on and Davey like this.
  11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It is a sweet turntable. If you are sticking with this TT, then one upgrade to consider that makes a huge difference in stability and imaging is an aluminum subplatter (such as Groovetracer).

12. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

Good luck with the audition tomorrow. For what it's worth the phono stage in the pre amp is no slouch.

Ingres3225 likes this.
  13. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Adding the Digital Motor Drive to my PolyTable! :righton:

14. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

AudioNote UK I-Zero, who would think this little 8 Watt guy could easily drive my Ryan R630s. I can't get over the sound out of this thing. Really something special. Thanks AN!

[​IMG]

Ilusndweller, Art K, jonwoody and 4 others like this.
  15. jek57

jek57 Forum Resident

Replaced my Adcom Gfa 545 with a new McIntosh Mc152

JorgeGvb and Morbius like this.
  16. Bolster

Bolster If it ain't broke try harder..

Nice upgrade, I've done an interim mod with this. I know, I know, cheapskate..
    SRM TECH SUB-PLATTER DAMPING KIT FOR REGA TURNTABLES 620944826117 | eBay

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. louis_anthony

louis_anthony Vir Fidelis

I also added an Aria this year...it’s working out well and I’m so pleased with the results. Not because it is the greatest phono stage in the world, it’s just because I enjoy the overall sound produced by complementary Rega components...I think there is something to be said about synergy here (RP8 > Exact > Aria)

18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Yamaha A-S501 integrated amp. :)

19. HiFiTweeter

HiFiTweeter Well-Known Member

Bolster likes this.
  20. HiFiTweeter

B&W 804D3 in white. They had to be ordered from the other end of the continent so I guess I’m the only one from Norcal that has them in white.
    Anthem STR.

I bought them within a week of each other. I bought the Anthem because my McIntosh MA7900 is in the shop. I will probably sell the McIntosh once I get it back.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident Thread Starter

You bought the STR integrated amp ? Will you be able to give us your impression after a few months ?
    I am really interested with the pre-power amp duo as my endgame system.
    Also i'd like to know if you plan to use the room correction feature.

22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have the white 805. They are a beauty.

HiFiTweeter likes this.
  23. Slippers-on

If I was in your shoes....no way I give up one. Knowing me...Id have remorse if I did.
    Perhaps when you have time, you can bless us with a short to the point review of that Well Tempered Reference?

24. HiFiTweeter

Sure thing :D

I can say being 2 weeks in, that the power is delivered effortlessly, if such a thing can be said. A guy on youTube used it on his 803 D3 and he’s pretty happy. Personally, I would have used the separates on the 803.

The speakers are new too, so I can’t accurately say what’s responsible for what. However, the definition is great and you can hear every separate instrument. I listen to classical music. Each instrument section is where it should be and the dynamics are very strong. I also played the ‘Sheffield Drum Record’ and everything was precise while being subtle too. My audio guy said my preamp is on the warm side of solid state. It also has a rumble filter so it reduces the surface noise on vinyl. On a couple records it was very silent between the songs. Bass is good but could be better but I think things will improve as the components run in.

Ok, will report back later.

edit: ps: I haven’t set up the room correction. By all the raving reviews, I should do it at some point.

25. GurraG

GurraG Senior Member

My AT33Mono cartridge!
    So far I’ve only had it installed for a day, but I am very pleased with the purchase already!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.