Best headphones $75 or under?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by peskypesky, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I put my headphones on and off my head more than 30 times a day. Easy.

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I'd probably pony up for a set of the better AKG sets. They have metal bands and while not cheap, they sound good. Grado phones sound great but have plastic parts so they are not as durable as the AKG. They are generally less expensive for it though. No matter what you choose for headphones, you really should also invest in a headphone stand for your desk or a headphone hanger for your wall by your desk. No way should they be taken on and off so many times and laid down on a hard surface to risk getting crushed. Over all, the AKG metal wire design seems to be the most robust if you are going to be wrenching them on and off a lot. The cost may just have to become part of the territory there. If you work for someone else, ask for a raise or a bonus due to it, seriously.
    -Bill

peskypesky and Gramps Tom like this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

$30 through Amazon is about as low-risk as it gets. Maybe buy a pair and put them through the ringer for 30 days.

peskypesky likes this.
  4. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

another vote for the Koss porta pro's from me.

5. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I still hang onto my pair of RS-1’s for when I want that Grado sound with acoustic music, but that’s my end of the line with Grados.
    The cable build quality and the terrible ear pads just aren’t worth it with so many other options out there.

I’ll never buy another pair of headphones without a removable, replaceable cable. This whole soldering the cable to driver thing that Grado does is nuts.
    I just bought my first pair of Hifiman planar headphones (HE400i) and they mop the floor with my much more expensive RS-1 headphones, both in build quality and sound quality.

peskypesky likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks guys! gonna check some of these out as I am on the hunt for a pair as well...

peskypesky likes this.
  7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Yes, they swivel at the stress point. My previous set broke in that spot after 2 years. The ones I have now, 4 years and still going strong. And I am very rough with them. One thing though is there is a piece inside each ear piece that has come loose a couple of times when I bumped my head with them on. A small round silver piece. But you can just open them up and easily pop it back into place. Plus the cable is detachable. In fact just a couple of nights ago the supplied cable finally quit on me. 4 years. These are a no-brainer.

peskypesky likes this.
  8. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Interesting clone. I actually purchased my pair of AKG 240s new during a half-price sale. They are not quite as good as my Audio Technica AT-M50X, but they sound good enough to use as monitors when I am playing drums and need an open back headphone.

peskypesky likes this.
  9. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

10. peskypesky

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't know if something has changed since 2012 when I last bought a pair of Sony MDR-V6, but mine are still going strong and I'm not exactly gentle with them. I've taken them all over the place, transported them in a messenger bag or backback on all modes of transportation across several states and there is no sign of breakage. My aftermarket pads are starting to fray a little, but that's about it. I will say I always fold them up and place them in the included bag when taking them anywhere. I use them several times a week.

If OP is breaking them after 6 months one of the following must have happened:

1) User error/abuse

2) Quality went downhill

3) OP bought counterfeits (they're everywhere - don't trust 3rd party sellers on Amazon and eBay and other places)

2) Seems unlikely unless someone else can verify this.

12. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Steve Guttenberg loved these FWIW.

13. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

peskypesky wrote the following as part of a post:

I tried a pair of these since these seemed like the Sony Ear Clips (clipped to the ears) which I liked, but I could never seem to wear them correctly. They wouldn't fit firmly against my ears, so I couldn't get good sound out of them and they ended up not being comfortable.Some have mentioned putting them on a headband (basically making them like the PortaPros, especially since they have the same drivers) but I decided to stay with the PortaPros.

14. peskypesky

oh, yes, the KSC75's definitely need a headband. Should have mentioned that.

Allparts sells a headphone for about $2 and you can detach the cups and put the Koss ones on.

For about $20 total, you will get a sound that rivals headphones that cost several times more.

this is what you need:
    "Parts Express Mini Stereo Lightweight Headphones with 4 ft. Cord" from www.parts-express.com!

[​IMG]

StimpyWan likes this.
  15. peskypesky

I guess it's possible I bought MDR-V6 counterfeits, as I did buy them through Amazon. I remember being incredibly shocked when they broke so soon...as my previous pair of Sony Studio monitor headphones (MDR-7506) had lasted me for about 16 years of heavy use at work.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The way Amazon works is that they always display the lowest current price, even if that price is from a third party and not Amazon themselves. Amazon get their cut either way. Amazon does not police the products third party sellers sell.

Hundreds of “banned” goods still for sale on Amazon, report finds

17. Solitaire1

Based on what I've read here and the videos I've seen on YouTube about these headphones I've decided to order a pair from Amazon. I will see if they live up to the reviews and are better (both in terms of sound and comfort) than my Koss PortaPros.

Helom and peskypesky like this.
  18. iggyd

iggyd Forum Resident

I use the Superlux HD668B, which I think you also maybe use a version of? Under 40 bucks and ridiculously good sound for the money.
    I don't know if you can beat the sound and build quality for the $

peskypesky likes this.
  19. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm waiting on delivery from Drop for a pair of the Koss KPH30i. These inexpensive headphones are getting rave reviews. Here's a review from a guy who looks like a headphone lover. Potty mouth dude so beware:

Comet01 and peskypesky like this.
  20. peskypesky

The Samson headphones I'm using were probably made on the same assembly line as the Superlux.

iggyd and patient_ot like this.
  21. peskypesky

Thank you! I love his f-----g reviews. And I think I'll be ordering those f-----g headphones.

SirMarc and timind like this.
  22. timind

timind phorum rezident

Mine are enroute as I type. If I had it to do over, I'd pay the extra $8 to get them in two days with Amazon instead of waiting for Drop.

His review is hilarious if you don't mind the language.

SirMarc and peskypesky like this.
  23. Solitaire1

Time to recommend two pairs of low-cost headphones:

- JVC Flats (HA-S160)
    - JVC HA-S140 (I call them the Really Flats because the speakers are about half as thick as those on the Flats)

Both can be gotten for between $10 and $20 and I used them before getting my Koss PortaPros.

Here's a review of the JVC Flats:

rockclassics and DiabloG like this.
  24. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I bought two pairs of the Koss KPH30i via Drop for $20/pair at the beginning of the year. They're solid, durable headphones that sound great and are probably the last wired portable headphones I'll buy. Going forward, it'll probably be wireless, but these should last for a long time. Been primarily using them with an old LG V20 I use as a backup phone and music player. I treat then pretty rough and have had no problems, Because they're so light and rest on the ear instead of covering them, they're also much more comfortable than Sony MDR-V6's or Senn HD650's for casual listening on the go.

Functionally, the Koss's have been my replacement for the Senn PX-100's, which were discontinued and replaced with a terrible uncomfortable design, the HD series. Sennheiser sent me HD2.20's as a replacement for a pair of PX-100's that broke and they were so uncomfortable I gave them away. I loved the PX-100's for their sound and comfort and still have a pair of PX-100-IIi's, but I've been using the Koss's more since I got them. The Koss's are more durable feeling, overall.

peskypesky likes this.
  25. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I still have my Flats and they're pretty good for the price. I break them out occasionally for old time's sake. They used to be my go-to pair until I got my Noontec Zoro HDs (which were also fantastic for a sub-$100 headphone). My current go-tos are the NAD VISO HP50s for critical listening and the AKG earbuds that come with the Galaxy S9 for casual/portable listening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.