Best joke in the Rutles movie?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by KevinP, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Exotiki and nosticker like this.
  2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The Che Stadium bit always gets me.

longdist01 and Exotiki like this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The black blues guy who talks about how they stole his stuff, and his wife that yells at him.

goodiesguy, longdist01 and musicfan37 like this.
  4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Was it "Get Up And Go" that Neil played for George, who began singing "Instant Karma's gonna get you" because he knew they'd get sued? Anyway, the songs are uncannily good.

longdist01 and Exotiki like this.
  5. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

It’s was get up and go: George didn’t even think it was plagiarism: he just said it was close. Neil left it and then ATV threw the book at him

Solaris likes this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

i'm surprised no-one brought this up during that whole "Blurred Lines"-"Got To Give It Up" case.
    I've ofter wondered if that was the reason why "The Simpsons" got rid of Alf Clausen, considering he made quite a few 'musical parodies' that was as close as Neil's!

7. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

"Sue the wife."

8. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Nasty, in a widely quoted interview, had apparently claimed that the Rutles were bigger than God. The story spread like wildfire in America. Many fans burnt their albums, many more burnt their fingers attempting to burn their albums. Album sales skyrocketed, People were buying them just to burn them."

9. keefer1970

"It was the beginning of a golden age for lawyers."

10. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Ron Decline: "You ask me where the money is? I don't know... I've never been good with math..."

11. keefer1970

I forget the exact lines now but I always laugh at the bit when Idle is in the German "Rathskeller" club, explaining what the venue's name means ("not a 'seller' of rats, as in someone who sells rats for a living, but a cellar full of rats")... then the lights go out and he sez "Oh dear... there's a rat up my leg."

12. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I thought the story was he played the soundtrack songs to John, and it was he who commented of the songs, he should be careful about Get Up and Go, which is why it did not end on the original LP (it was included on the later CD). Aren't these songs parodies? Isn't there a rule about songs are allowed to parody original works, similar to like ones Weird Al does?

longdist01 and musicfan37 like this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Weird Al just adds new lyrics to tunes written by others....

14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

For some reason I was not aware of this when it came out (I think I was drunk that year). I want to get The Rutles DVDs but am confused as to what to get. I have found All You Need is Cash, Rutles 2 Can't Buy Me Lunch and Anthology. to be complete should I get all three or does Anthology include any of the movies?

Thanks

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Do you mean The Rutles Archeology? That's a music only cd definitely worth having with brand new brilliant Beatles parodies by Neil Innes.

[​IMG]

Regarding the movie itself, get the All You Need Is Cash DVD or Blu-ray. Rutles 2 Can't Buy Me Lunch is Eric Idle's sorry rehash of the original film which offers very little new that was already touched on brilliantly in the original production.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

longdist01 and pablo fanques like this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Been there.

17. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

No they got rid of Alf Clausen for the same reason they screwed their voice staff: they were being cheap. I'm sure Clausen was given instructions on what to write parodies of. It's not like he was some rogue composer writing whatever music he wanted to.

18. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

She'll thump me. Classic.

19. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I remember watching this with my parents, and while I thought it was hilarious, I remember them just staring dumb struck at me and wondering how anyone would think it was funny. It definitely was targeting a very specific audience, that's for sure, Monty Python and Saturday Night Live fans who also loved the Beatles. A big demographic for sure, but not a prime time network TV one.

20. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The whole original film from start to finish is one of the funniest things ever to me. Almost any line you want to choose is brilliant -- as can be seen in all the postings here. (If you're familiar with the various references being poked at.)

longdist01 likes this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

[​IMG]

22. Raylinds

Thanks

No by Anthology I mean the BD that who posted the cover to (the one with the wheelchair) Is that a mockumentary or something?

23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

That is the Blu-ray that includes both the original film and the weak rehash. You might still want to seek out the regular DVD as the picture is in the correct aspect ratio while the Blu-ray crops the picture for fake HD widescreen.

24. Raylinds

Thanks very much!

longdist01 and FredV like this.
  25. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

I heard that John consulted Neil on which songs are too close to the originals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.