Best MAFIA gangster TV Series?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Well, drink turned my grandmother's father into a raving lush in that era...and it turned her into both a rabid abolitionist and the most egregiously pious matriarch I ever met.

I carry a gene of alcoholism from both sides of my family that makes us susceptible to the same ravages that ended my own mother. My brother saw in time, and went cold turkey 20 years ago. I only drink on occasion, or mild refreshment.

Cheers yourself.

Buuuuut, hey - how 'bout that Bugsy...whatta role model, huh.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Brenald79 and bmasters9 like this.
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Still think you enjoying crime family tv and movies doesn’t mean you support that stuff. Walter White is my role model but I’m still against that stuff.

Szeppelin75, Bruce Racket and alexpop like this.
  3. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

The Sopranos
    then, Gomorrah, the great Italian series

Rob6899 and Rufus McDufus like this.
  4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

And just the fact that the point needs clarified is mind-boggling.

Jeez. God forbid someone catches you enjoying a war movie.

milankey and Brenald79 like this.
  5. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

Your mention of family tv implies a general classification standard of drama, generally I stop enjoying when the balance shifts to glamourisation of individuals involved with organised crime. Stories dramatised such as Donnie Brasco are immensly enjoyable, not least because it hits the realism factor spot on.

Brenald79 likes this.
  6. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

Already mentioned Gomorrah, series about the Camorrah, the mafia like organisation based in Naples.

Another Italian series worth a mention is Suburra, based on organised crime in Rome.
    Third and final season is about to screen on Netflix.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Underbelly from Australia is my new #1. It’s a true crime anthology series about real life Mafia figures but told like a Guy Ritchie crime comedy and narrated by a police officer. I much prefer crime series told from the police point of view with them as the protagonists.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  8. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

The Sopranos

Rob6899 likes this.
  9. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Third season of Suburra was entertaining enough, but ultimately disappointing. I think it was always flirting with the edge of credibility, but went over that edge this time round. Lost its way after the below spoiler, I thought.
    Samurai was killed

The Killer Piglet likes this.
  10. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

I'll add Romanzo Criminale (set in the 70s/80s) to the list here, worth a watch.

AveryKG likes this.
  11. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

Yes I would have to agree with that.
    Good show overall but behind Gomorrah.

AveryKG likes this.
  12. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Another good series from Italy is Mafia Only Kills in Summer, which I guess isn't a mafia gangster series per se but, while taking an overall comedic tone, manages to show the pervasiveness of la Cosa Nostra in everyday life in Palermo in the late 1970s.

It's told from the point of view of the youngest son of a family of four (civil servant father, supply teacher mother, capricious adolescent sister). There's also his uncle (who's kind of on the fringes of criminality) and his girlfriend. There are two seasons and while the situations tend to get a bit repetitive towards the end (family member gains some benefit which they would not have got otherwise were it not for some either direct or tangential mafia involvement which tests ultra-incorruptible father's unbending position and the fallout therefrom; family member has to resist getting involved in romantic tryst with third party and the fallout therefrom), it takes in real events in Sicily of the time to good effect. Recommended. It's on Channel 4's catch-up service in the UK, so unlike Netflix you have to put up with a load of adverts unfortunately.

13. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

14. Sopranos for the win, followed by Boardwalk Empire.

15. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

The Gangster Chronicles was pretty good, from what I remembered. Centered around Bugsy Seigel, Lucky Luciano, and others. i think i saw that before i even watched the Godfather series.

16. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Paule!! anybody who remembers, celebrates, and includes Wiseguy in a reply alongside The Sopranos has a lifetime of free beer at my house. easily one of my all time favorite shows. i'll be watching the whole series, again, sometime this year. the scene at the end of season one with Sharkey and Wahl in the bar is an all timer. especially with the original music. it does lose steam as the seasons progress but god damn i love that show!

P(orF) and paulewalnutz like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ok, who's the winner?

I say Sopranos.

18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That’s only because no one here has seen Underbelly. If you know how tough regular Aussie blokes are, just imagine their gangs.

Bruce Racket and Michael like this.
  19. Michael

how do I see this? sounds great! love Aussie blokes!

Brenald79 likes this.
  20. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

The Untouchables By Far.
    Watch 8 Hours Every Sunday On Heroes + Icons Cable Channel.

bmasters9 likes this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Bruce Racket, Doug_B and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

6 seasons. Season 1 is about the real life Melbourne gang war in the 90s. 37 murders.

24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm that way with SEINFELD.
    Not kidding.

25. Michael

thanks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.