Best MAFIA gangster TV Series?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Oct 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

And (don't know if I said it) even better on DVD, where there are no commercials!

goat65cars likes this.
  2. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

Thanks. Good Idea I Will Pick Up The DVD.
    Forgot To Mention The Great Guest Stars (Usually The Bad Guys) And The Narrative Of Walter Winchell On Every Episode Make It Even Better . And Even The Music By Nelson Riddle Make It Unforgettable.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    Gumboo and bmasters9 like this.
  3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

You bet-- lack of actual bonuses aside (just that one Lucy Show episode in homage), everything you mentioned makes it well worth the money!

goat65cars likes this.
  4. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

When anyone asks me what kinds of movies I prefer, I say I like movies about bad men. Tarantino films are usually a good example of that.

5. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

You always have the best lists! Loved all of them on this list. Gomorrah and Zero, Zero, Zero are next level.

Brenald79 likes this.
  6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thanks! I credit my interest in this genre to my high school peers in the 90s who were wannabe gangsters with Scarface and Donnie Brasco movie posters lol.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  7. mds

mds Forum Resident

Boardwalk Empire

alexpop likes this.
  8. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Bruce Racket likes this.
  9. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

It won't be a spoiler for people who gave seen "The Immortal", but I'm not sure how many viewers of the series to date would have seen that film as well. FWIW quality wise, the film only felt like an ordinary episode of the series.

AveryKG likes this.
  10. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I bought 'The Immortal' on Amazon Prime. Had to get a refund: no subtitles!

11. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

Oh someone stuffed up there... I watched it on Now Tv, not sure if they still have it.

12. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Principal photography ended in May for season 5 of Gomorrah (my vote for best mafia show ever). Sounds like season 5 may be the last season. The series has been a heck of a ride so far, I'm curious to see how they close it out.

13. glennzo

glennzo Forum Resident

Have you seen "The Immortal", which kind of bridges season 4/5?
    I found it to be a bit sub-par compared the rest of the series and probably not essential.

However...
    It reveals Ciro is still alive and has reunited with Genny.

Bruce Racket likes this.
  14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree the show was inconsistent after that when they had episodes that strayed from the main plot but I still find the whole series worthwhile. I own them all.

15. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Is Boardwalk Empire any good ?

16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Absolutely.

It was my favorite show for a long time. The first season starts slow but keep with it because once all the characters and stories are established it is excellent.

unclefred and trumpet sounds like this.
  17. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Magnificent.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  18. shark shaped fin

shark shaped fin Forum Resident

The Sopranos is the best but lots of what’s been mentioned is superb.

Gomorrah and Zero Zero Zero are excellent, the former especially really gets at the closed-off ugliness of the mob life. The sense that these are empty people fueled by a mix of adherence to tradition, greed, and petty grievances. Not to mention a code of loyalty and honor which is more an arcane suggestion than a rule anyone follows. ZZZ is really something else, and it also has this aspect of the avarice and greed driving everyone to their doom or point of no return, morally speaking. It’s a bit more cold-blooded than Gomorrah, which has a bit more of the personal vengeance aspect. ZZZ is strictly business.

I like Boardwalk Empire, but it’s a cut below greatness for me, intangibly speaking. I can’t quite put my finger on it. I think some aspects of the characterizations are wrong for me. But it’s catnip in other ways. The setting and the overall plot are top notch.

Peaky Blinders is entertaining but sometimes it’s just a little too ridiculous and over the top. There are only so many slow-motion lurching walks towards the camera I can handle in my life.

I’ve heard excellent things about Gangs of London.

Rob6899 likes this.
  19. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Forum Resident

I have been rewatching it again over the last month or so (getting close to the last show). The first 4 seasons were amazing, but as you said, it does start slowing down and has seemed a bit disjointed over the last couple of seasons. Still like it because the acting is great and just enough story line to keep me interested. I guess this happens when you kill off so many characters. I had the same issue with Walking Dead, but quit watching that one.

My vote is still for Sopranos.

Rob6899 and Michael like this.
  20. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

The Sopranos
    Boardwalk Empire

Rob6899 likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IMO, nothing can touch the Sopranos...

Rob6899 likes this.
  22. Michael

you were smart...TWD has been a drag for more than half the run so far...my opinion...my wife does not agree with me...she still loves the show! I watch it with her and bitch about it! ha ha ha...

uofmtiger likes this.
  23. Michael

you weren't!

24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I posted on the TWD Thread, that this 11th Season has had 2 real good episodes so far. Don’t Fear The Reapers, despite how they might be the most menacing group yet(which is saying a lot after the Cannibals at Terminus, and The Whisperers putting Heads of Rick’s Group on Pikes(including a few kids:eek:). 22 Episodes left.

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

the "bad" guys groups are getting old after 11 years...how many have we've been put through so far? I can't wait until it's over...; ) I will never again invest any time in these type of shows a gain...I know it's not the same but, I should have learned my lesson with LOST! man do I regret that one...

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.