Best mastered U2 CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Togo, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was Thread Starter

Hello all,

Anyone have any opinions on the best sounding/mastered U2 CD's out there?

I have all the standard UK releases but have never been that impressed...most of it sounds very muddy to me.

The Best of (with B sides CD) released a couple of years back is probably the best of my bunch.

I have read a few bits and pieces in this forum about MoFi/MFSL releases, but anything you guys can add would be great.

Thanks and best wishes all!

Togo

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

IMO as far as U2 Mo-Fi releases go, stay away from "Unforgettable Fire" although it may sound better than the alternatives at this point and grab the "War" CD if you can. I can't afford the "Joshua Tree" release right now but I have been told it's very good.

I agree with your comment about the original releases...they are terrible for the most part. I've been hoping someone would do them all justice someday soon. Especially my favorite, "October".

3. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Well, I have the MoFi 'Joshua Tree' and 'The Unforgettable Fire' as well as the original Island releases on CD, and the MoFi's are both superior to those standard releases, with 'The Joshua Tree' being the better of the two. I don't have it nor have I heard it, but I have heard really good things about the MoFi release of 'War' as well.

4. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

I've got the MoFi "War" and it's quite nice. "Joshua Tree" is on my list, but for the price it's going for now, I could get several albums I don't already have!

Ryan

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have "The Joshua Tree" on MoFi also. I loved the record when it came out and played it many times. The sound is deep and layered, and very dramatic and exciting. When I started listening to CDs in 1995 or so I bought this album on CD - just the normal el cheapo Australian release. It was rubbish. Since I really liked the record I kept my eyes open for a better version and found a MFSL at normal prices one day and snagged it.

There was simply no comparison between the two discs I had - one sounded like music, one sounded like a cheap AM radio. While the MFSL is not quite as good as the LP, it's pretty close and reproduces a lot of the drama of the vinyl, and that's what I was looking for.

I never really thought about the MFSL being valuable - it's just a disc I have. I was shocked to see the eBay prices on this disc. A sealed one went for $133 the other day, and the used ones seem to reach $75. Seems a lot doesn't it? Well, if you love this disc it's worth it. I could not part with mine.

Regards,
    Metralla

6. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I haven't heard any of the other MoFi U2 CD's, but I do have "The Joshua Tree" and it definitely blows away the stock Island CD. I'm surprised to find out this title is going for as much money as it is on eBay. I bought this two years ago for about $40.

7. GoldenBoy

Wow. I'm glad I snagged my MoFi U2's when they were still in print for US$30 each, which, at the time at least, was the going rate for MoFi gold releases.

8. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

I picked up each U2 mofi disc as they came out. I have to agree with the rest of the guys here: "War" and "Joshua Tree" are dramatically better than the original versions. However, I remember getting the "Unforgettable Fire", my favorite, and being really dissappointed. For such other worldly music the sound quality is incredibly dirty. It sounds at times like it was recorded on a portable device of some kind. How could this be? I was so confident that mofi would take me to sonic nirvana with their version. How could a perfectionist like Brian Eno blow it this badly in the studio?

9. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

It is interesting that we are all agreed on the key issue here...that the standard Island CD's are not worthy of the aluminium they are released on.

Why does this have to be the case so often? I feel as if I haven't really HEARD these albums..and yet they still mean so much to me!

Maybe this is a job for Steve and the "Breath of Life" ....I can dream anyhow...

Best wishes and keep the faith!

Togo

10. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

It's a pity about the standard Island reissues. That label does not have a very good record of getting its catalog out on CD in a timely way, or in decent sound. The Traffic remasters from the UK of a couple of years ago were pretty poor - hence they were re-remastered for the US market. Seems that most remasters they've done out of the UK are pretty average.

The Nick Drake remasters were borderline acceptable, IMO - better than previous versions, but still sounding a bit compressed.

Then there are the Cat Stevens and Bob Marley remasters. The Cat Stevens ones I've heard are excellent, but perhaps this is because they were done in the US (?). I haven't heard any of the Marleys, but I've heard they're not bad.

I did pick up the UK remaster of John Martyn's "Solid Air" - again, it's an improvement, but not startling. Island also seems to be very selective in what it has remastered - and they have such a great back catalog.

11. GoldenBoy

The Marley remasters sound OK to me. I wouldn't call them GREAT, but they are good. Then, I don't have any other releases to compare them to so....

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I have all the Cat Stevens remasters and like them. Some people find fault w/ them but all in all I think they are very nice especially at $8 each. I have some of the Traffic remasters and Mofi's but have never a/b'd them. Neither version got me overly excited but the bonus tracks on the remasters were worth the $8 per disk in my book.

In general, remasters have taken a hell of a beaten on this board. The one thing that is seldom stressed are the bonus tracks. I place a high value on bonus tracks b/c after a few hundred plays a release becomes extremely familiar and different mixes, versions, etc. are a nice change. The Band remasters are an example of bonus tracks that really ring my bell. The sonics are another matter.

The Music Never Stops,
    Jeffrey

13. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I agree with you about the value of bonus tracks - The Traffic remasters from the UK are a good example. They include bonus tracks not found on the US remasters, and from that perspective are almost essential for the Traffic fan. I still listen to the US versions of Barleycorn and Last Exit if I want nicer sound.

I was singling out Island in the UK for a patchy remastering record. I suspect the Marley and Cat Stevens remasters are an enterprise that involves the US as much as the UK - and certainly the Cat Stevens ones are very good.

I feel OK about criticising the sound of new remasters - after all, there are plenty of good ones out there to compare with. It is a great pity when a label goes to the trouble and expense of reissuing catalog, and end up with a product that is way short of its potential.

14. Jeffrey

Hi Paul,

I agree w/ ya that many of the remasters have questionable sonics. I also agree that it is a great pity that so many labels lack the drive to produce the best product possible.

The problems is I keep on buying the disks b/c I gotta have the bonus tracks.

Just Jonesin',
    Jeffrey

15. GoldenBoy

There's nothing I hate more than spending a small fortune on these remasters and finding them lacking in sonic quality. Fortunately for me, or perhaps unfortunately, the Marley remasters are the only versions of these albums that I have, besides some of the tracks that are in the box set so I don't know what I'm missing. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. :) I find the Marley remasters to be quite acceptable, and I do appreciate the bonus tracks.

16. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I'd like to know why the U2 catalog hasn't been remastered yet - you'd think it would be a goer. Is it that the band isn't interested, or that Island doesn't have the interest or resources to do it? I've no idea.

Looking forward to the next couple of Traffic remasters from the US in the next couple of weeks (Low Spark and Welcome to the Canteen, I believe). Hope they are well done.

Re the Cat Stevens remasters, I've heard a couple of them. I think Mona Bone Jakon sounds fantastic on the new CD. I'd like to know how Tillerman and Teaser compare on the new reissues to the Mofi versions (I have the Mofis but not the new ones).

17. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Good question -- perhaps too much stock out there and they don't want to have to accept all the returns? When they do finally remaster, I certainly hope they use the Joshua Tree LP cover art (as opposed to the crappy CD cover) and the European cover art for Boy.

If only MFSL didn't put that ridiculous border around the cover artwork, their Joshua Tree disc would be nearly perfect (although I'm sure Steve could still improve upon it).

Jay

18. Ben

Ben New Member

I own all three U2 MFSL Gold CD's......

Yes, The Joshua Tree is stunning - The Edge's guitar is still reverberating in my chest from the last playing....

They're all worth picking up - I would suggest getting the ones you want sooner rather than later as the price seems to be going up...

Best,

Ben

19. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Best U2 cds/Why Catalog has not been remastered yet

In regards to the question why U2 back catalog has not been remastered yet- I just got an email back from Andy Mc Kaie head of A&R for Universal.He said Universal proposed a remaster/reissue schedule to U2 but they turned it down until they have time in their schedule to personally be involved with the project.

20. Jeffrey

Hi Ben,

Even the Unforgiveable Fire?

Just Askin',
    Jeffrey

21. Jeffrey

Hi Paul,

I only have the Mofi Lp's of Teaser & Tillerman and have never a/b'd them w/ the remasters. What I have found is that after buying all the remasters, the first three releases are the ones I play & enjoy most. Whether that's b/c of the sonics or just the fact that I like that material more is hard to say. The thing is the remasters are so reasonably priced (@$9 ea) why not score the two and do the test yourself?

Jeffrey

22. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Anybody heard and/or compared the Japanese issues of the U2 catalog. It seems they issued some of their catalog in the late nineties (Boy, October, War).

Any thoughts?!!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.