Best music DVD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bytor, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

My choice would be Neil Young's "Silver and Gold".

He shows that has a genuine grasp of the new audio and video technology, with this all acoustic offering. I dont have a fancy theater sound system and everything just seems to jump out at you.

"Year of the Horse" should get an honorable mention, only because that Jarmusch's visual efx get tiresome and trivialize the music.

Another artist with Young's vision of the new media is Peter Frampton and U2. They both seem to "get it" and have produced some mindblowing productions.

2. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

3. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

wvk3,

I agree...especially Chuck Berry's performance.

4. Great DVDs

Offhand, I would say that the recenly issued "Just Judy" DVD, which in fact had previously been issued as part of the box set of The Judy Garland Show in 1999is tops in my book. It has been remastered from the originaly 2" video masters, and both the sound and video on these tapes dating from 1963/1964 is absolutely remarkable. I might add, Ms. Gumm is pretty good too.

Altogether different, as I am currently in Paris, I recently viewed a new DVD issued (Region 2) of La Belle Hélène by Offenbach taped just last year at the Théâtre du Châtelet. Extraordinary production, extremely well recorded. And performed by Felicity Lott in the role of Hélène.

Insofar as movies, I would strongly recommend a film called "The Yards". Excellent film, with the music coming out of your five speakers with a nice spread.

That's all, folks.

LAWRENCE SCHULMAN

5. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I saw a couple of songs from this on PBS or CBC about 6 months ago, and they were good enough to cause me to go out and buy all of Krall's albums. However, I thought it was just a TV special - I didn't know Live in Paris was on DVD until I saw your post. Went out and picked it up (Costco has it for $12.99 - great buy); I agree it is a phenomenal DVD. Some real musical sparks fly and the camera angles catch some great interplay. Krall is also sexy as hell, especially in 16:9 anamorphic widescreen. :)

Go out and buy this DVD.

6. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Dear CM,

I'm sure the DVD you recommend is great, but I'm a little confused. Wasn't it you who posted just yesterday on the ICE Newsletter website alerting folks about the SH Forum?

Something about "Like any public forum, you have approach it with some skepticism", etc.?

So, I'm doing what you stated, being skeptical. ;)

Of course, in that same thread (over on ICE), Grant stated about this forum:

"It is the type of group mentality of people that tend to worship a single ideology or person."

Yet he has posted here over 1217 times.

:confused:

7. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

John-

Be careful with the context of my message at ICE - I said this board is very helpful in getting info re: remasters, but that you have to be careful with threads with unfavorable reviews to determine who has heard the new versions vs. who is speculating, just "like any public forum"....

I love this board and the ICE board and the Motown board and a ton of newsgroups...I am a music lover and music junkie. I can't get enough of rock and soul and the blues, and discussion of them. :)

CM Wolff

P.S. I won't defend Grant's post beyond saying to watch the context - he was referring to things about this board that have been discussed herein at some length....he was not denigrating this board in the least, and, as you point out, the number of his posts here and at ICE probably indicate he loves to contribute to all kinds of music discussions.

8. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

I recommend both the sessions at west 54th street DVDs. These have various artists from the now defunct show. Excellent full frame picture and a really great PCM track aside from the 5.1 mix. This is a good way to see and hear a really eclectic mix of music. I also recommend the Brain Setzer live in Japan DVD, which again has an excellent PCM track. Further I recommend the all-star tribute to Brain Wilson, it has some excellent performances and good sound. Finally I recommend the 2 DVD set of the concert for New York City. This has music not found on the cd set, has a good sounding PCM track, and of course helps a worthy cause. And, I would finish by putting in my ditto, DITTO, for the Dinah Krall DVD. She is much much better live then on her albums, and this gives you a taste of that. Your mileage of course may vary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.