Best New Albums of 2017 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The Molochs : America's Velvet Glory
    Almost a bit too twee for me but they've got enough of Lou Reed in them to keep me intrigued. New album came out last week.

"In fact what we have here is a damn fine set of stripped-back 1960s garage rock/R&B, with no-doubt Chelsea-booted feet occasionally dipped in the waters of Violent Femmes-esque country gothic and twee C86" - God Is In The TV Zine.

[​IMG]

Laibach, npc210 and psulioninks like this.
  2. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I thought it improbable that so early in the year I'd come across something that could be an album of the year. I kept being drawn back to this for listen after listen and I believe it will stand up for the duration of 2017. A blackened jazzy affair (jazzy within the context of the genre). To quote the band's description with a bit of editing from myself to eliminate some redundancies (resulting from the English translation from Icelandic I presume).

"At the album's emotional center is an existential crisis in a seemingly futile and careless world, the demented self-attempts to claw one's way towards meaning and the enlightenment of self. Succumb to the void or be the maker of your own purpose. Volaða Land starts with the uprising, a search for self-empowerment and purpose. The individual who is the creator and destroyer of his own being/existence rises forth as the record continues, with the realization that to find meaning and purpose is one's own responsibility. Will you rise to the occasion or will you fade disgracefully?"
    Good times! :laugh:

BaDaBen likes this.
  3. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

That drummer's got to get his barnet correct. I'm surprised the rest of them let him in the video! Good song, though.

4. KentishMan

KentishMan Forum Resident

Preordered. Thanks for the heads up.

LarsO likes this.
  5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Ah, just listening to RTJ3 for the first time. Wow! Definitely going to be spending more time with this one.

Gaslight likes this.
  6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Not bad....catchy! Will check out the album on Tidal.

Crazyhorse11 and Robert C like this.
  7. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Favorite of January thus far: "Alarm" by Deaf Radio. Deaf Radio is an alt rock band from Athens, Greece who remind me a lot of Queens of the Stone Age in all the best ways. This is their debut album. They're on Spotify and they're selling vinyl on their website for about $15.

8. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

20-year old Jontavious Willis, playing and singing acoustic blues with a distinct Georgia flavor. This is a remarkable self-produced debut recording. Willis has been mentored by no less than Taj Mahal...and one listen and you'll see why Taj was so enthusiastic about him.

Blue Metamorphosis »

Clarets, BluesOvertookMe and mpayan like this.
  9. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

RTJ 3 is CRAZY good, wow. I already like it more than 1 and 2, and I thoroughly enjoy those.

Also, saw them in Pittsburgh a few nights ago, hands down one of the best shows I've seen. If you have the chance to catch them on this tour don't sleep on it. These dudes are at the absolute peak of their game right now.

octaneTom, Robert C and Gaslight like this.
  10. tap

tap Forum Resident

Susto - & I'm Fine Today is pretty good.

Clonesteak likes this.
  11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Looking forward to streaming new albums from Austra and Drab Majesty tomorrow!

12. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

No records yet. Think I need to go climbing the Mount Everest or get run over by a truck for a change.

13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I liked the first two Austra released but what I've heard of the new one hasn't really grabbed me so I'll definitely give it a few streams before buying it.

Now this Drab Majesty is a different story...it's the first I've heard of them but I just checked them out on Youtube and really like it. Thanks for the heads up...will definitely be investigating their catalog.

popscene and Robert C like this.
  14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

So far it's these three:

The xx - I See You
    RTJ3
    Bonobo - Migration

Haven't really gotten into that new Flaming Lips yet.

15. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I like the new XX album & the new Chavez EP.

16. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Their 2015 LP, Careless, is worth listening to :)

noname74 likes this.
  17. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

I've been digging the debut post-punk/punk LP Nothing Feels Natural by Priests after only streaming it a couple of times. Anyone else into them? @ralphb, seems like something you might enjoy, what do you think?

Available currently on NPR First Listen.

18. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Thanks for the tip, I really like this. They remind me of bands like UT, Kleenex, Raincoats, Slits and Scrawl but with a very wide musical pallet. It almost sounds like they're veering out of control at points and then they pull it together before it all falls to bits. Really angry (which is necessary these days) and engaged with tons of energy. Good stuff.
    Also at NPR is the new Japandroids which is a real monster.

scotth likes this.
  19. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Priests reminds me of Exploded View and their album from last year. You guys should check it out if you haven't already.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Vince Gill and octaneTom like this.
  20. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Care to post a link for our comparison? I'm lazy in this thread.
    From what I heard of Exploded View, they are more a soundtrack to Tarantino's Kill Bill, while the Priests song posted above is surf-rockabilly-ish.

21. Cherrycherry

I like the opening lines to that song, and the album cover image is entertaining. Many snakes/serpents.
    But, then the song got vaguely familiar like a Yoshimi & The Robots album? Maybe.
    How is the rest of the album?

22. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

To be clear, that Priests song isn't wholly representative of the album there are punkier and post-punkier songs that are quite different. Check it out here if you want. I really dig the opener. I'd embed it if I could.

23. Cherrycherry

@scotth, I wasn't too clear, sorry. I meant by asking you if you would include a link to Exploded View, as that is the band you suggested that we should check out.
    Like this:

octaneTom likes this.
  24. Wild Ram Speedway

Wild Ram Speedway Forum Resident

Mike Oldfield – Return to Ommadawn
    [​IMG]

klockwerk and Baron Von Talbot like this.
  25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The xx for me. I am pleased with all of the coverage and accolades they are receiving from general (not just alternative) media. Maybe its Spoon's time as well - I'm sure the new album will be great, just wonder whether it will appeal to a broader audience. I've kind of given up on getting a great album from Flaming Lips, although I did preorder the signed vinyl on Pledgemusic. We shall see.

My guess for smash hit of 2017 - The new Arcade Fire album.

BD2665 and LivingForever like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.