Best New Albums of 2017 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Rocketdog, JL6161 and ToddH like this.
  2. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Sorry that was Bubbly Waves, but thanks for posting that, I'll check it out. I just wanted to clarify for whoever is interested that the whole album doesn't sound like that song.

3. jmj190

jmj190 Forum Resident

Liked what I've heard of them so far , could be one of my faves of 2017. Love In The 4th Dimension - The Big Moon, released April 7th

JL6161 and Gaslight like this.
  4. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Nice legs

c-eling and footlooseman like this.
  5. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Flaming Lips- Oczy Mlody
    Ryan Adams - Prisoner

Granted, they're the only two new albums I've been listening to- but they're both very solid!

Rick360/12 likes this.
  6. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

I Sang the Song (Life of the Voice with a Heart) - Mac Wiseman

[​IMG]

7. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

8. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

The new Foxygen album (Hang) is great* - surprised more around here aren't talking about it!

*and by great I mean incredibly pretentious in the best of ways. :p

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Sub 37, cevans121 and heliocentric like this.
  9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

A bit of Joni with a bit of country....

Pastafarian, BD2665 and Johnny Reb like this.
  10. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Amazon shows this came out August last year?

11. noname74

It appears that it came out in the US in 2016...but came out in Europe in 2017. It's a great album that will be new to most people that visit this thread.

12. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This will probably appeal to many posters here. The veteran British folk guitarist Michael Chapman's new album 50. "Memphis in Winter" is in my Release Radar playlist today and sounds very nice. Looking forward to checking out the rest of the album later on.

"He's best known as a master of the acoustic guitar, but on these sessions, the dominant instrument is the electric guitar of Steve Gunn, who also produced the sessions. Gunn assembled a band of like-minded musicians whose passions encompass indie rock, experimental rock, and the more abstract corner of Americana, and while Chapman's impassioned vocals ride over the top and his acoustic guitar is audible in the mix, the band doesn't bow to Chapman so much as encourage him to keep up with them" - All Music.

13. watty

watty Forum Resident

14. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

The production on this is so smart. So many covers albums sound completely inept. This is very loud stomp in the other direction.

15. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Just heard the new Ty Segall, and it's now my favorite, by far.

Incredible album imo.

16. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Yeah, second spin through the new Ty Segall here and I'm really enjoying it.

scotth likes this.
  17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Abu Sadiya by Yacine Boularès, Vincent Segal and Nasheet Waits

French-Tunisian sax player, French bass player and New York drummer, playing improvised music based on North African and sub-Saharan music. I've played it three times this week and I sure it will be near the top of my year end list.

[​IMG]

No videos are available but it is on Spotify, Qobuz and Apple Music Spotify »

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    deadjazz and octaneTom like this.
  18. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

The new album from Superdrone is on Spotify now, called Superdrone One, the closer "Made Out of Suns" below recalling Spacemen 3, though some of it has a Phil Spector sound with all that drum reverb, kind of like a slowed down Righteous Brothers in the song "Crazy" ... fun record if you love that spacey shoegaze like I do ...

Crazy »

19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

20. Dok

Dok Senior Member

131east23 likes this.
  21. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I love the new AFI album, self-titled but nicknamed The Blood Album.

Maybe outside the realm of many posters on this forum, but AFI is a great band that formed in 1991. They have been consistently releasing music since then, with lead singer Davey Havok being a real talent. They have explored hardcore punk, emo, screamo, goth punk, alternative... A trailblazing band in their particular musical playground.

I'd say that The Blood Album is an alternative rock album with some punk/scream flavor. Very melodic though. For those interested in vinyl, the album was released in four color variants corresponding to the blood types O, A, AB and B.

22. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

The new Tool album. Oh, wait,,,,,,,

23. noname74

I'm enjoying the new Sohn release...

24. projectcookie

projectcookie Forum Resident

Digging the new XX album. Feels like Jamie XX brought back some of that magic he brewed up for In Colour

25. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Here's mine, so far, in the order in which they were released...

Third Eye Blind - We Are Drugs
    - Technically only an EP, and also given a digital only release last year, but the physical version didn't come out until this year, and that's what counts in my book. One of the strongest releases the band have ever done.

Bash & Pop - Anything Could Happen
    -
    The first Bash & Pop album was always the best solo project Tommy Stinson did outside of the Replacement. This is the second. Great having him back making music like this.

Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart Of Life
    -
    Canadian anthemic punk rock duo expands their horizons with new sounds, while still maintaining what made them great to begin with. Amazing that just two guys make a noise this big and so glorious.

The Fags - I'm With Her
    - Return of the Detroit Power Pop trio led by John Speck (Hoarse, Skeemin No-goods, Hi-Fi Hand-grenades. Great melodies and songs, with the emphasis on POWER. Some interesting choice covers thrown in for good measure, too.

Also looking forward to the new Big Wreck, Ryan Adams and Spoon albums.

Haven't checked out the latest XX record yet. Loved their first, but was really disappointed with thier last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.