Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

A good friend of mine (who occupies the same black lodge as me, although we are thousands of miles apart) recommended this album to me. Its from the Chicago based International Anthem label (Makaya McCraven / Jeff Parker) and its Ben LaMar Gay's "Downtown Castles can never block the sun".

[​IMG]

It doesn't really fit into any category if you ask me, its fairly wild with a lot of ideas. I love it.

This track reminds me of The The (Matt Johnson), but that's about it! The other tracks you can make your own mind up on! :)

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Passwords is excellent! :righton:

4. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

5. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Bill Orcutt & Chris Corsano - Brace Up!
    Incredible album... I feel like I physically can't stop listening to it today.

[​IMG]

GuidedByJonO))) and Ironclaw like this.
  6. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

My favorite bandcamp download only release from last year got a physical release this month on a small Swiss label

Russian shoegaze band Blankberge's Radiogaze

Cherrycherry and Jerry James like this.
  7. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

That sound’s incredible.

Also, this article about Melnyk is quite interesting: Lightning-fast pianist Lubomyr Melnyk: 'When I play I turn into an eagle flying'

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    mcwlod, JL6161 and Davey like this.
  8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I'm really enjoying the new album by Andrew McMahon In The Wilderness called "Upside Down Flowers".

This video of the opening track has a short honest moment of truth at the beginning, regarding hope for success of this new album (or not), which I found refreshing. Great honest lyrics about their already short-lived fame and success in this opening track called "Teenage Rockstars" ...

9. CDlover

CDlover Senior Member

The NECKS – Body
    Blaine L. REININGER – The Blue Sleep
    The EX – 27 Passports
    Tim HECKER – Konoyo
    Anna Von HAUSSWOLFF – Dead Magic
    Laurie ANDERSON & KRONOS QUARTET – Landfall
    Ryley WALKER – The Lillywhite Sessions
    Nils FRAHM – All Melody
    ORCHESTRA OF SPHERES – Mirror
    MOSTER! - States Of Mind

10. Luke Warm XXI

Luke Warm XXI Well-Known Member

White Denim - Performance

It's a long ways away from workout holiday and i haven't seen much love for their latest around here but i think it's a really great record.

[​IMG]

GuidedByJonO))), Frank and Matisse like this.
  11. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

John Grant and Tom Bailey for me.

12. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

13. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

New hard rock:

[​IMG]

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  14. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

johnnypaddock likes this.
  15. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Luke Warm XXI likes this.
  16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Just heard this thanks to Angry Metal Guy's things you may have missed in 2018 posts. Can't stop listening to it. A perfect blend of beauty and aggression.

Ironclaw and mschrist like this.
  17. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

18. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

It is an aggregated list.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  19. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Here's my top 10 new releases in 2018, in no particular order:

Visigoth “Conqueror’s Oath” - The musical equivalent of a D&D critical hit. Avoid this if you hate fun.
    Wayfarer “World’s Blood” - Other than a new Falls of Rauros album, this is pretty much exactly what I wanted from black metal in 2018.
    Kriegsmaschine “Apocalypticists” - The percussion on this album is mesmerizing. I can’t get enough of this one.
    Bongripper “Terminal” - This is Bongripper doing what Bongripper does best. Thoroughly solid.
    Thumbscrew “Ours” - Mary Halvorson is the star of the show here, though everyone involved really shines. In a world with no shortage of great guitar players, she really stands out.
    Spaceslug “Eye the Tide” - Heavy but not overbearing. I listened to a lot more doom metal in 2018, and this was likely the best of the lot.
    Stone Disciple “Lost Comm” - Raw, but awesome. Another solid doom album. Also yet another awesome band to come from the fertile Denver metal scene.
    Monobody “Raytracing” - Some fun prog that has exactly the right amount of wanking.
    Sylvaine “Atoms Aligned, Coming Undone” - It’s no surprise that Neige was involved in this, though he only played drums. Excellent black-gaze in the vein of Amesoeurs.
    Kikagaku Moyo “Masana Temples” - Psychedelic without sounding derivative. It has a loose feel to it, but still sounds tight. Quite the balancing act.

Ironclaw likes this.
  20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

For some reason keeping a close eye on this thread has made me feel much more detached and much less cranky about the Tower of Babel deluge of year-end lists.

So thanks everybody.

mschrist, noddin0ff and Luke Warm XXI like this.
  21. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

Rosanne Cash - She Remembers Everything

[​IMG]

22. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Hadn’t checked out Sylvaine’s album until now. Angelic feminine vocals and Neige’s relentless drum onslaught (can’t recommend Alcest enough). It’s a winning pick.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  23. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

This album takes me to a foreign highland valley around a campfire. If you don’t have any albums with Harp of David (aka begena), this might be a good addition to your collection. Sosena has a magical, hushed voice that facilitates lucid dreaming and meditation. This is actually a re-release of a Ethiopian only cassette release, if I’m not mistaken.

[​IMG]

Sosena Gebre Eyesus, by Sosena Gebre Eyesus

24. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

“Not since Itzhak Perlman performed klezmer in the 1990s has Yiddish music been played at such a high level. An epic discovery of Yiddish songs from the World War II and the Holocaust brought together Sergei Erdenko (Russia’s greatest Roma violinist, and longtime collaborator of Yehudi Menuhin) with an elite ensemble of virtuosi from the worlds of folk, Jewish, Roma, classical and jazz music. Going beyond klezmer, the album to be released by Six Degrees in 2018, re-defines the performance of Jewish music for the twenty-first century.

Yiddish Glory tells the remarkable story of folklorists in the Soviet Union who risked their lives collecting songs from Jewish Red Army soldiers, Jewish refugees, victims and survivors of Ukrainian ghettos. Following the war, the researchers were arrested by Stalin; their work was confiscated, and they died thinking the collection was lost to history. But the songs were later discovered in unmarked boxes stored in the basement of the Ukrainian National Library, and brought to life through painstaking research, for the first time in 75 years.”

[​IMG]

The Lost Songs Of World War II, by Yiddish Glory

NorthNY Mark and JL6161 like this.
  25. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

The Foxwarren album is really quite excellent from cap to converse. Listen to the beautiful chorus on the album opener:

lonelysea and Joe Spivey like this.