Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Graham Parker - Cloud Symbols

Clocking in at 31 minutes this is a perfect little album. Good to excellent songs, Parker in relaxed swing mode and strong voice with trademark bite intact, top notch playing and arrangements including tastefull brass - what's not to adore?

Stone Turntable likes this.
  2. Leaman

Leaman Has a foggy notion

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, I’ve liked all of Interpol’s albums a lot. But I can confidently say if the S/T and El Pintor were not for you, you’ll probably like Marauder more than those two.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  3. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Yeah, the new Haken rips, adding it my AOTY contenders list. I’m LOVING the darker/heavier take on their brand of prog metal.

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I don't know about "Best" but Spiral Sky's Blues for a Dying Planet has some interesting moments, sometimes channeling Sabbath, that doom metal thing, mixed with solid, but eerie female vocals ala the Affinity album with Linda Hoyle (which in turn reminds me occasionally of Grace Slick). I suppose you have to be in a mood.

jazdoc and Beamish13 like this.
  5. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Indie/Pop 2018 - Vance Joy - "Nation Of Two"

Machiventa likes this.
  6. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Anyone recommend Anna St. Louis?

7. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Love that album. Makes me think of Bedouine's album from last year in terms of sound.

Available in 24bit at Qobuz / HDTracks.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  8. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

A song from it was posted earlier I think by bubblywaves? People talked about it. Thank you for posting them, never heard of em. The album is really good!
    Kero Kero Bonito- "time and place"

Took me second to appreciate it but I can't stop playing it so safe to say I think it is great. It's kind of like the flaming lips mixed w the 'hoof. Seasoned generously with art-damage.

Here's another track from the album. I'll need a Lobotomy to get these songs out of my head. Does anyone have a drill?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Moth and Tim Wilson like this.
  9. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Beak> : >>>

tightplatonic and Cherrycherry like this.
  10. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Jessie J - R.O.S.E. [released as four separate EPs, one for each letter--R (Realisations), O (Obsessions), S (Sex), E (Empowerment)]

11. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Holy mother of freckled goddesses.

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I see what you mean.

:love:

13. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

14. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

15. jorgy

jorgy Well-Known Member

NorthNY Mark and PhantomStranger like this.
  16. Moth

Moth fluttering by

C.H.E.W. is a small, female-fronted, hardcore punk band from Chicago I've been following since listening to their demo tape a couple years ago. After a few split EPs, they finally came out with their first full-length album in August, and everything I like about the band has intensified. Their sound is heavier, the singer is furious, and the music has a lot more thought put into it than the typical three chord trash. This is their Bandcamp page.
    [​IMG]

17. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Probably a moot point but here's a small psa about a record that is definitely in my top ten of the year, "the lamb" by LALA:
    Many of the vinyl pressings are distorted near the end of the second side. I got 2 that both had it and the label said they are repressing the title. It will take about a month so I would avoid this title on vinyl for the time being...

Spaceboy and Jerry James like this.
  18. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

19. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

20. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

21. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

22. Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson Forum Resident

Really enjoying TV Smith's "Land of the Overdose"

23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Here's a title I'm ordering today on vinyl...Heaters - Suspended Youth...psychedelic/Kraut style...really looking forward to it. Just released today (just can't come to using it "dropped", not a fan of that line, save it for the mainstream crap)

24. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Two new albums -- both with great music and kinda crappy uninspired album covers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Common Blah
    Weakened Friends
    [​IMG]

Release Date
    October 19, 2018

I enjoyed this quirky drums/bass/guitars/vocal indie rock album from start to finish. May be among my top 5 for the year so far. I thought the singer's vocal histrionics would get old - they usually do with me - but instead her voice just got more engaging as the album went on. Short one - under 1/2 hour.

Pitchfork says:
    ===
    Singer and guitarist Sonia Sturino, bassist Annie Hoffman, and drummer Cam Jones pick apart the causes and effects of bad relationships over familiar strains of alt-rock and grunge. In only three years, though, Weakened Friends have found their literal voice and emblem of musical interest: Sturino’s multifarious, melodramatic singing. Amid a trend of 1990s revivalism led by singing men, Sturino gives Weakened Friends the welcome feeling of letting loose that, in turn, makes Common Blah seem audacious despite abiding by alt-rock’s usual themes.

[...]

Weakened Friends opt for the punchy eccentricity and pop hooks of Veruca Salt. During “Aches,” depth charges of grunge distortion get a bounce in their step from Sturino’s wiry guitar bends. The blown-out volume of “Peel” is balanced and sweetened by Hoffman’s downplayed vocal harmonies. And Jones steers the pulsing “Younger” with a frenzy of pounded cymbals and insistent snares, switching his emphasis in the chorus to highlight the song’s hook. Even when J Mascis appears on “Hate Mail” for a long-winded guitar solo and to draw Weakened Friends closer to the era they’re honoring, he doesn’t steal the thunder. The song’s core melody is too catchy for second place.
    ===

The reviewer talks about Veruca Salt and I can hear that, but the one that kept going through my head as I was listening to the album was Letters to Cleo's Wholesale Meats and Fish, one of my favorites from 1995.

Cherrycherry likes this.