Best New Albums of 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockOnSon, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Good one

Svetonio likes this.
  2. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

I follow Jimmy Tamborello (Dntel, The Postal Service) on Bandcamp. He has his own regular electronic radio program, I heard somewhere. Anyways based on his purchase history, it seems he keeps his pulse on IDM/electronica/techno. This release from his collection caught my attention. It has a full and emotive sound for hypnotic electronica - almost reminds me of Dntel's own stuff but a bit less dynamic.

[JGT41] "Balancing", by Mallard

[​IMG]

Joe Spivey likes this.
  3. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Mgmt dropping a fire track

Joe Spivey and NorthNY Mark like this.
  4. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Decent track, but how is this a "best new album of 2019"?

5. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

I view the thread as catchall for all best new music produced, released, re-released in the calendar year. Sorry about taking some liberties with that if that's bothersome. Forum within a forum, so to speak.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Luke Warm XXI likes this.
  6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

If you struck the "best new" from that sentence, it might be closer to the truth.

7. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

We all have different tastes, mon frere. Sorry that ours don't align more.

8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

That was a statement about frequency, not quality.

Bill Diercks likes this.
  9. My best of 2019

10. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

I've been busy replacing compressed remasters and haven't listened to too much new music this year, but I would recommend Aldous Harding 'Designer' (not Robinson Crusoe with that one) and Tactics 'Early Shift At Charles de Gaulle' (I might be a bit more lonely with that).

11. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

That's a fair criticism. Apologies.

Danby Delight likes this.
  12. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

"Leonardo Marques makes a kind of music that creates bucolic and romantic scenarios whose sound goes among indie folk, sixties psychedelia, lo-fi and the brazilian Clube da Esquina." {2019 Vinyl release of somewhat obscure Oct. 2018 album out of Brazil}

Early Bird, by Leonardo Marques

[​IMG]

PointsNorth and acemachine26 like this.
  13. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

This is Mazzy impossibly upping the ante on presentation. Now I feel like I'm banging out my black and white list here on a vintage Smith Corona. So I won't be posting until I hire a production company.

Truthfully, nice work, and I look forward to future installments. I'm hoping you do 'favourite new spices' before Christmas to help zest up my potluck party dishes!

P.S.: "No comment". Good call :)

14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This was wonderful. I watched the entire 45 minutes and enjoyed it thoroughly. I paused it during the Purple Mountains segment and quickly searched for it in Apple Music ...and was stunned to find it is by the same musician as the Silver Jews. And that he died. Then I went back to the video and heard the same bio and news.
    Very nicely done recap of the year.

15. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I posted a list earlier in the thread and said then that I knew I was forgetting a few... and I have since remembered a couple:

FKA Twigs - Magdalene
    Blanck Mass - Animated Violence Mild

LivingForever likes this.
  16. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Just had played your Video while Editing a Soccer Video. The first Title has me interested and will check it out. Wanted to ask how the Vinyl Pressings were for 'Anima', the Album by 'The National'(forget the Title even though I bought the CD earlier in the year, and had forgot about it, or was not in a National mood at the time) and Beck's 'Hyperspace'. Also, which Color version of 'Hyperspace did you buy, as do not think you pulled it out unless I missed it working on a 2nd Computer at the same time?

Anyways, just curious on the Vinyl Pressings of each(and if any of those 3 Titles also were Mastered well).

I will look at your Reissue Video soon tonight.

Mazzy likes this.
  17. My Beck album is black.

18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I picked up the Red Vinyl at a Barnes and Noble since it had the DL Card and the CD packaging was cheap. Wonder, if there are any issues with the Red Vinyl, but I will do a Search on here.

Was hoping you would have covered how the Vinyl was for the Deerhunter and Joe Jackson Albums, if you bought them. Actually, also the Lux Prima(Karen O and Danger Mouse).

I am a Super Furry Animals Fan, but lost track when Rhys went Solo, and need to check out his Albums(same for Gaz Coombes with Supergrass)

Mazzy likes this.
  19. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Albums from 2019 that I enjoyed (in no particular order):

Alarmist - Sequestered (Math Rock)
    De Lorians - De Lorians (Progressive Rock)
    Jaimie Branch - Fly or Die II: Bird Dogs of Paradise (Avant-Garde Jazz)
    Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana (Gangster Rap)
    black midi - Schlagenheim (Noise Rock)
    Swans - Leaving Meaning. (Experimental Rock)
    JPEGMAFIA - All My Heroes Are Cornballs (Glitch Hop)
    Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter Four: Memphis (Avant-Garde Jazz)
    Hildur Guðnadóttir - Chernobyl soundtrack (Industrial)
    Fire! Orchestra - Arrival (Big Band Jazz)
    Ana Frango Elétrico - Little Electric Chicken Heart (MPB)
    The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery (Jazz Fusion)
    PoiL - Sus (Avant-Prog)

Vic333 and NorthNY Mark like this.
  20. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

If you enjoy the above quoted, you may also like:

*repeat repeat - Glazed
    (Produced by Patrick Carney of The Black Keys)
    Indie/Power-Pop
    "Glazed marks a period of major growth for *repeat repeat, who’ve spent the better part of the last few years touring, highlighted by a 2018 debut at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts festival that saw them lavishly praised by Rolling Stone, who hailed them as “Most Enthusiastic Rockers”.

In bringing the new album to life, *repeat repeat worked closely with producer Patrick Carney (drummer for The Black Keys and producer for such artists as Arctic Monkeys, Black Lips, and Tobias Jesso Jr.), immersing themselves in a more rigorous songwriting and recording process than they’d ever attempted before.
    "
    [​IMG]

Can't Shake This

carlwm likes this.
  21. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've got two new releases from 2019 on the way to me now.

Charlie Apicella & Iron City - Groove Machine (Jazz)
    Balsam Range - The Gospel Collection (Bluegrass/Gospel)

That I believe will be the end of my year of new releases for 2019 bringing my total 2019 new releases to 49 and it was a solid year of new music for me. Looking forward to the new music of 2020.

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Interesting comment as I was just thinking the opposite. There is a lot of music that has not piqued my interest in the thread but I'm thinking the artwork of many covers is really cool. Oh well, one eye versus another.

troggy likes this.
  23. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

24. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I think my favorite album of the year is going to be Grey Area by Little Simz (if not that then probably the FKA Twigs album which I posted about earlier). What a fantastic and near perfect hip-hop album. It’s short and to the point at less than 40 minutes. All the songs are great individually and also reinforce each other in the context of the album. The rapping and lyricism is technical and clever but also filled with personality. The production is visceral and hard-hitting but also playful and colorful. It’s definitely one of my favorite rap albums of the decade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.