Best New Albums of 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockOnSon, Jan 1, 2020.

1. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

Darkness Brings The Wonders Home is comfortably my favourite album of the year so far - I can't get enough of it.

ds58, Thorpy, Whooptee and 5 others like this.
  2. Flaevius

Flaevius Left of the dial

Album: Grimes - Miss Anthropocene

That cold beat sounds straight from an album such as Massive Attack's Mezzanine.

Bevok, noname74, Pastafarian and 3 others like this.
  3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    Lee Ranaldo/Raul Refree - Names Of The North End Women
    A collaboration, it's very electronic, with just a bit of spoken word mixed in with the singing, but it's very accessible, very musical and it has some of the best songs and vocals Ranaldo has ever done. Album closer "At The Forks" is stunning, one of the best things he's ever done. A very cohesive, addictive album. Oh yeah, almost no guitars, which works to it's benefit, as it's all quite lovely.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Listening t the new Califone album Echo Mine today, along with the new Caribou Suddenly, both sounding very nice, but I'm a big fan of both so not unexpected. Ordered the LPs of both but not in my hands yet (Caribou not official until next week), so all digital for now.

The Califone record is especially interesting, maybe a bit more avant-garde than expected, but they've always been able to create a very unique sound, Rutili's weathered vocals winding a series of abstract images around a backdrop of fractured junkyard folk-blues, with electro-organic textures by Brian Deck adding space and ambience, and Ben Masserella's rhythmic sense tying it all together with subtle percussion elements that can go almost unnoticed at times, music with a real heart and soul. This one is gonna get a lot of listens... Essential New Music: Califone's "Echo Mine" - Magnet Magazine

The third song "Night Gallery/Projector" below, bluesy and melancholy and mysterious ...

5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    Posted this in the thread devoted to the album, but figured it should be here too.

This is actually one of their best albums. The songs, as always, are strong, but there's an extra something there this time, the synths and strings add oomph rather than make the songs weak. It's also an extremely positive album, with Caws getting all philosophical (not in a dry way) about finding your place and dealing with the world as it's presented to us. There's an amazing spoken word rant on "Something I Should Do" that manages to weave together seventeenth century tulips, Haight Ashbury and the lack of empathy in the world. But their best is saved for next to last, because on "Mathilda" Caws takes on bullying and hatred of others by relating his growing up as a not very strong, pretty, untypical guy, all wrapped up in a constantly shifting time signature, breaking the song up into smaller parts. It's quite audacious and it works beautifully, with Caws winsome vocals getting you on his side immediately. There's always been real smarts behind the songs, which is one of the things that keeps you coming back and never tiring of them.
    Doesn't mean this album is some treacly treatise on whatever, the album rocks in their now familiar power poppy way, it's just that they've stretched things here and decided to go deep. The band is ,as usual, really on point, navigating the twists and turns of Caws state of mind perfectly, and Doug Gillard is his usual fantastic secret weapon self.
    Not many bands put out one of their best album 24 years in, but Nada Surf seems to have managed, all while making it look as if they were just crashing out of the gate . Fantastic, even inspiring, album.

6. RockOnSon

RockOnSon Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Any pop/ electronic/ hip-hop suggestions?

Need something melodic maybe with a mix of mechanical instruments with electronic with vocals cool thanks!

7. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Try Georgia’s new album “Seeking Thrills” :)

8. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident

Dave Brons' instrumental album "Not All Those Who Wander are Lost" - A Tolkien/Lord of the Rings inspired journey. I don't know nothing quite like it. And a plus: It is very well produced all around, nothing brickwalled here to be found. This will be hard to top for me as far as favourite album of 2020 goes.

heathen likes this.
  9. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Yes, it's a great album and I keep returning to it almost every day.
    I love the unpredictability of her arrangements.

Mugrug12 and Freedom Rider like this.
  10. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I am still trying to catch up from 2019 releases.
    I will state that I am really looking forward to the new Pearl Jam album coming out in March. Now I have to look through almost a dozen pages of recommendations.

11. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Terry Allen and the Panhandle Mystery Band's - Just Like Moby Dick, fantastic recording as well.

Dennis Metz, RandyB1961 and Whooptee like this.
  12. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

This album is so good! Definitely a step forward from "Love in the 4th Dimension", which was itself good (Mercury Prize nominee, even). Production is clean, and they sound more confident. "Your Light", in particular, sounds like a real radio single (adult album alternative radio, but radio nonetheless). "A Hundred Ways To Fall" is also really strong, too. I did find myself recommending this album to my wife as sounding like a British version of Haim, but they're more distinct than that--less pop, sparer, not as bright-sounding (especially given the singer's lower--and noticeably English--voice). This is a case where the seasoned version of the band is even better than the ramshackle upstart.

Bevok and LivingForever like this.
  13. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

My first couple listens had me thinking it was just another solid record from a consistently good band, but the more I listen the more I agree with you. It’s something special. It’s got a wistful feeling to it that they didn’t really have before. And a big, wide open heart.

mcwlod, Crazysteve and ralphb like this.
  14. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I've been consumed by work the past couple of weeks (chasing multiple short deadlines) and A.A.L.'s "2017-2019" has been my focus music. A.A.L. (Against All Logic) is Nicolas Jaar, and this particular record (alongside its predecessor, "2012-2017", but this one even moreso) is electronica that's punchy enough to appeal to rock-and-roll listeners like myself. The best track (and it's by far the best track), is "If You Can't Do It Good, Do It Hard", with Lydia Lunch on vocals:

A.A.L., "If You Can't Do It Good, Do It Hard" (discretion advised--language)

15. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

[​IMG]

What a wonderful album. This has been in constant rotation. If you like GSH or Makaya McCraven, this album worthy of your time.

16. Whooptee

Whooptee Well-Known Member

Clavvs - No Savior (Extended) was originally released last year, but has now been re-released with four additional songs. It's a nice slice of ElectroPop with great hooks and some really nice vocals.

I've enjoyed the original release and the new songs move it up a bit in my estimation.

LivingForever likes this.
  17. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

I would have been far less keen on them if I thought they were a British version of Haim. I saw them live in England 2 years ago, and they are a proper rock outfit in concert---not very fashionable in the 21st century but very nice to see and hear.

mschrist and LivingForever like this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Loom" by Katie Gatley?

19. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendations. This and the Trash Kit album from last year make an nice duo--I listened to them both, one after the other (Trash Kit first), yesterday afternoon, and they were both delightful. I think I like the Trash Kit a little better (something about that seven-minute instrumental in the middle turned me around), but if your preferences lean more punk then you might like the Shopping better. This might be an "if you like one, get 'em both" scenario.

Mintsauce likes this.
  20. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

Thanks for this, really digging it! I'm a sucker for that 2nd wave emo sound.

Ironclaw likes this.
  21. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

I've always respected The Men, but never have done the deep dive. Might do that someday. This album is that dreamy newfangled classic rock.

Mercy, by The Men

[​IMG]

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  22. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Bill Fay album is one of the best so far of this here year. The best of the crop perhaps even.

23. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Beautiful! Reaches deep.

Ironclaw likes this.
  24. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

yes to this! that new Califone is so good... It is really great to have a new record from them...

Davey likes this.
  25. haywood

haywood Forum Resident

To be a fly on the wall when you put on Immaculada...