Best New Albums of 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockOnSon, Jan 1, 2020.

1. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Pat Metheny - From This Place

Brilliant - this is amazingly good.

Kristeva, varyat and Mugrug12 like this.
  2. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Turns out Agnes Obel has released a new album - Myopia - and it's absolutely divine. Really got into her after hearing Philharmonics, great to see her continuing to make new music.

3. Ozzy Osbourne Ordinary Man

Slice and mcwlod like this.
  4. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Really enjoying the new Califone too. Nice and angular sounding.

FredHubbard and Davey like this.
  5. cripps

cripps Well-Known Member

Vladislav Delay - Rakka "an extreme ecology of electronic sound inspired by time spent above the arctic circle, surrounded by tundra and the raw force of nature (...). It’s a killer evolution of sound, like his foundational Chain Reaction productions chopped, screwed and fed through sheets of white noise and black metal."

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

7. bellyshere

bellyshere Forum Resident

The Kundalini Genie's new one 11:11 for lovers of psych rock stuff is going to be banging good if the pre relese track is anything to go by.

heathen and Whooptee like this.
  8. Bill Diercks

Bill Diercks Forum Resident

This one just isn't grabbing me. I really like some of their previous albums, but this one and the one prior were let downs for me.

9. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Yea, not sure how well it fits with fan expectations, it's been a long time since the last Califone album and this one is a bit more experimental and instrumental overall than some of their past albums, being also the original score to a dance performance, but I really like it. And I think anyone that has closely followed and liked Tim Rutili's recordings in the last few years won't be too surprised, there's a lot to like here (learn to live without, kill the algorithms :)). Just as there was on the last Tim Rutili & Craig Ross album, and his own Arthur King Presents Tim Rutili- (arroyo) Abstractions. There was also the Insect Courage EP from 2016 under the Califone banner that was pretty cool too. The song he contributed to the Bruce Langhorne tribute is pretty great too, in the clearing when the deer comes and the kid tries to keep as still as possible...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  10. Bill Diercks

Bill Diercks Forum Resident

Pike Cavalero-Three Chords And The Truth.

11. Sprocket Henry

Thanks for this, I'll check out the Langhorne tribute.

With the new Califone, for one thing I love the swirling leslie organ textures, especially across the title track. It immediately (surprisingly) brought to mind Steve Winwood's work on Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock.

12. firmino

firmino Forum Resident

Real Estate - The Main Thing. First listen on Tidal today. Been a fan of the band some years now. First singles sounds promising, but sounds compressed as expected. Waiting for feedback on the vinyl release, mastering info etc. At least I recall the previous vinyl versions being rather good.

mschrist likes this.
  13. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

the new Califone took me by surprise , thought they were finished. the last 4 albums are bluddy brilliant.

14. FredHubbard

also try Rachel Aggs other band Sacred Paws, awesome punky afro guitar goodness.

Mintsauce and mschrist like this.
  15. FredHubbard

debut by guitarist from well underrated English band Exit Calm (check them out!) who imploded a few years back . lots of guest singers , Mark Lanegan on few and Mark Gardener from Ride.

[​IMG]

demetri_j and youngchoulin like this.
  16. Freedom Rider

:thumbsup:Seconded! Really like his songwriting - very melodic, and the lyrics are excellent. The Party put him in my radar, and this record is a more than worthy followup.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    firmino and Dayfold like this.
  17. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

Just FYI but Winwood didn't contribute organ to either of the two Talk Talk albums you mentioned - just The Colour of Spring. Organ on the last two Talk Talk albums was played by producer Tim Friese-Greene or by Mark Hollis himself.

JDM, ARK, Sprocket Henry and 3 others like this.
  18. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

scompton and JL6161 like this.
  19. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Good knowledge, always impressed by how much music history people know around here. And this new Califone record is pretty amazing, nice to see others feeling it too...

20. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Sauce, by Titans of Industry (funk-rock, full-length, physical CD available, released February 29, 2020, Portland, Oregon)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Sauce

21. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

This gets my vote as well. These guys never seem to miss.

Ironclaw, ralphb and Crazysteve like this.
  22. noddin0ff

noddin0ff Petty Opinionator Third Class

I really wanted to like this more. I considered it an essential purchase as well. While "I'm New Here" isn't an amazing album, most of it is charming and several tracks I consider essential. I also have liked Makaya's stuff. But, this just isn't a case of 'two great tastes that taste great together'. I think its a problem of the exceptional intimacy that Gil brings to the poetry and vocals mixed in the ambient atmospherics of Makaya's sounds. One pulls you close, the other opens out and away. There's just no real peanut butter cup mixing in between. My opinion of course.

23. Freedom Rider

The new Soccer Mommy - Color Theory - is very good. Brief first impression: richer, more mature and personal than Clean. Don't get me wrong, Clean was excellent as well, but this new one feels like it has more depth to it.

Pastafarian, Bevok, haywood and 5 others like this.
  24. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Soccer Mommy - Color Theory
    [​IMG]

25. Sprocket Henry

Ah, thanks for the clarification! Silly me. Still, the organs on those two albums are exquisite.