Best New Albums of 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockOnSon, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

I'd say some folks can't name an album they liked from last year (lazy), some one or two, some ten or twenty, some fifty or more. As some one in the later camp, I can say I heard songs by probably about a thousand artists last year (aka putting in work).

2. zen

zen Senior Member

Looking forward to the latest Deep Purple album. Bring it on, Bob!

3. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

You 200 were your favorites?

4. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

And you posted about seemingly every single one of them, turning the thread utterly useless as a result. Still preferable to the year before, where you also decided to castigate people who liked albums by older musicians (I believe the McCartney record was the one you were railing against) because that meant they weren't "putting in work."

If you think this is work, you either don't understand music or you don't understand work.

5. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Some people dig the crates. I dig through the couple thousand new releases a year and sort out say a top 50 or 75. That's the type of fan that I am. I can't fault someone for only wanting the top 10 or 20 best, but there's great music of great quality and interest beyond the mainstream indie bands. Sorry for any distress my efforts may cause -- my intention is just to share my passion for recorded music and, specifically, well-crafted albums. Very best wishes to all.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  6. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

That’s all fine, but this is supposed to be the Best albums of 2020, not albums from 2020 that you happen to enjoy. I’m not saying to not post anything, but maybe be a little more selective in what you post in this thread.

7. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Ooh, that's a nice one

8. GyroT

GyroT Forum Resident

Why look forward, when you can look back, discover some great music, and not waste hard earned cash. New year's resolution is to be constantly behind the curve, let time sort the wheat from the chaff and have the last laugh, because last year was just way too bad. Bitter? Nah, it has been fun, but after years of making excuses, it is time to face the music and admit that these days are characterised by diminishing returns. Lots of great music still being made? No! Lots of good music, sure, average product is generally acceptable, and obviously, I am generalising, and will hopefully find something to invest in next December when the end of year lists help in identifying the cream of the crop. Trouble these days is the amount of product being produced without adequate quality control. How some of these guys and gals think they have anything relevant to add to the canon is beyond me, so I would say too many are in love with the sound of their own auto tuned voices, treated synths and irritating glitches, and as for the lyrics.... Have fun

9. noddin0ff

noddin0ff Petty Opinionator Third Class

Probably not best to debate the contributions of a single member. I think one could find things to criticize about most posters here. Personally I'm not a fan of the "judging by the just released single, the album will be good", the "album I hope will drop this year from this band", and the "I'll just post a link and not bother to type words" posts, for example. I also could do with out the prog posts, and the death metal posts. What we could really use is more posts that emphasize the music that I personally like. That would, obviously, be best.

Regarding the current thread of criticism, I appreciate that there's actual write-ups and thoughts in the post, rather than just a link to a vid. They're not spam. The write-ups are pretty accurate and it's easy to figure out whether the albums are your cup of tea or not. I think it's fair to be selective but not necessarily to have to pit genres against each other. I'll be honest, for about every 10 that I could easy dismiss as "meh" there's one that is intriguing enough and outside my main line that I'm glad I checked it out. Compare this to sub-genres of prog and metal posts, I can say that my 'like' rate is way higher than those. Sure, most wouldn't make my top 10..or 20, but that is a matter of taste. I would appreciate calling out those that are truly exceptional as opposed to just noteworthy, especially in the genres that don't get the lights of the popular media shined on them. But, often the exceptional ones get commented on by others (as with most notable posts) so I let that be a guide. Bottom line: I enjoy reading posts with an element of passion in them, even when it's not my passion.

Looking forward to great new music to start out the new decade!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  10. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

So far, I’m looking forward to the new releases from:

Poppy
    Little Big Town
    Kesha
    Isobel Campbell
    Carly Pearce
    The Third Mind

I’ve got them saved to my wishlist as cds; which died this year.

Edit: add the new John Moreland, care of @Rockford & Roll

Personally, I don’t care how this thread goes. I like reading through it to find new music releases. People listing their “looking forwards” is a good way for it to start. I tend to not post much in this thread, mainly because of the obligatory “bitching” that goes on and has already started.... about defining “best”..... about the shallowness of “anything new”..... whatever.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  11. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

@GyroT , the sheer novelty of you judgmentalism blunts its cold, hard edge. And such wisdom in just your 93rd post!

Regarding this excerpt from that hot mess of fine advice given to those of us naively enthusiastic about the new musical year, I'd like to know who exactly should be exercising "adequate quality control" over my available selection of art when personal taste has proved a fine default setting for the entirety of my 35 years?

12. GyroT

GyroT Forum Resident

The people directly involved is the answer to that. By all means get together with your friends, pluck a string, hit, miss a note, pummel a drum, sing your heart out, but give up blowing your own trumpet. Self promotion is to be found in abundance, although I suppose it stands to reason that in a crowded market place you need to shout to make yourself heard. In any case, I never used the word naive, you did and please do not get personal. There are far more important things in life to get upset about than the realisation that someone may not share your enthusiasm for the imminent batch of new releases. I am quite sure I will find something new to buy and enjoy this year, and there is the irony, as I will continue to support the industry by reaching for my wallet once I am convinced that the lp/cd/ is for me. Good luck with your art, and as you like stats, I suppose this makes for my 94th post, which seems somewhat excessive to me, but I am sure you will let me know.

13. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

When you do come across something that meets your standards, by all means give everyone a heads up in this thread.

ARK and carlwm like this.
  14. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Hmm, I think I've heard half of this album now and still nothing sounds that exciting... :(

15. LivingForever

I enjoy having this thread not *just* be the "best" albums - I like people flagging upcoming records that seem interesting, and telling us which new albums they're checking out and enjoying.

Surely if it had to only be the "best" albums of the year , then we'd have to wait until December before we could decide what makes it and what doesn't...

mschrist, drift, Bevok and 2 others like this.
  16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

klockwerk likes this.
  17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

heathen likes this.
  18. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

It will be Anvil's Legal At Last!

[​IMG]

Rogn Valdr likes this.
  19. LivingForever

Well, it’s the first “new release Friday” of 2020, and three really good albums came out today, all of which I could see making the top list after a few listens, depending on what else we get this year.

First up, as already mentioned in this thread - Field Music with their new album “Making a New Future” - a concept album inspired by the impact of World War 1, and containing songs reminiscent of Talking Heads and XTC.

If you already know Field Music, you probably know what to expect, and it’s just as good as I’d hoped. And if not, check out the video above!

zither, grbl, vamborules and 4 others like this.
  20. haywood

haywood Forum Resident

This sounded pretty nice first stream through, riyl Tess Parks, Angel Olsen, Julia Jacklin.

21. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Once a useful learning tool for new music this thread has deteriorated to something I no longer recognize.

23. LivingForever

Put people whose posts you don’t find useful on ignore- it really helps. (Hopefully you weren’t talking about me with my one album that I genuinely think is really good :D )

Crazysteve likes this.
  24. LivingForever

Alright, well I’ll just proceed as usual and post another album which came out yesterday that I am really enjoying.

The Big Moon : Walking Like We Do

All-female four piece indie-rock band, with great tunes, nice vocal harmonies, and a touch of synthy goodness. And somehow they don’t sound exactly like Haim :D

Check this out if you’re interested:

25. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

If you could suggest some great picks for us -- we're here wallowing out to our deteriorated tunes. :<)

{Gizz Live in Paris Album cov
    [​IMG] }

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    liquidsolidstasis likes this.