Best New Albums of 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockOnSon, Jan 1, 2020.

1. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I need to revisit City Burials. Nothing jumped out at me initially, although it was a relatively enjoyable listen start to finish.

mcwlod and ghostnotes like this.
  2. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

Took this recent purchase with me over the weekend driving upstate with my youngest daughter for some day hiking. Its a great record. Very laid back for the most part. Nice "mountain listening." Definitely a favorite of the year for me.

Record Rotator and Chris C like this.
  3. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Seconded! Had an absolute blast listening to it today - after all these years CH's voice still never ceases to give me goosebumps.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Beyond The Pale" by Jarv Is is really good. Probably Cockers best since "We Love Life"? It sounds like a new contemporary version of his old band! His voice seems unchanged by age. Recommended!! :bdance:

5. Dan33185

Dan33185 Dylan/Cohen/Adams/T. Buckley/Holly

6. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I'll replace Dream Syndicate with Julianna Barwick's great Healing Is A Miracle at this point, but surprised there isn't more love for the Noveller (Sarah Lipstate) album, it's such a cinematic and emotional album, just ordered the vinyl, along with Julianna Barwick (which apparently doesn't release until the middle of August in the US). Really looking forward to the new Maarja Nuut & Ruum.

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. BrainOfJHA

BrainOfJHA Pearl Jam high five!

You may also like Pacific Range. They released a great album this year called High Upon The Mountain.

8. BrainOfJHA

BrainOfJHA Pearl Jam high five!

This is a project that the bandleader of Wooden Shjips started. Very Good.

ARK and chickendinna like this.
  9. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I've just ordered the LP after liking what I heard on Spotify. Thanks for recommending!

_David_ and hamicle like this.
  10. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Disco Elysium, by British Sea Power

[​IMG]

"British Sea Power's BAFTA winning Original Soundtrack to the multi-award-winning RPG Computer Game 'DISCO ELYSIUM'." Eclectronic orchestral.

11. _David_

_David_ Forum Resident

Glad you liked it. It's shaping up to be one of my favourite records of the year, and I read today that it's the first in a planned trilogy of releases from the same recording sessions, with another album and an EP to follow.

Starwanderer and Dayfold like this.
  12. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

_David_ and iwokeinrelief like this.
  13. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Kamaal Williams, Wu Hen

Just out and listening on spotify as I wait for the vinyl to arrive. Lovely production and and beautiful flow...

[​IMG]

14. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

Not sure what took me so long, but I finally got around to listening to "Fetch the Bolt Cutters" by Fiona Apple. I've heard only the opening track so far, but that's all it took to jolt me back awake, remembering how arresting and mind blowing music can be.

The dissonance in the passing tones while she holds out that sustained "you..." in the refrain gives me chills.

The lyrics in the second verse especially are stunning - the references to the wind, the elasticity of time, the recycling of matter, the PULSE. Against an impossibly vast and perplexing aloneness, she pivots back to declare that "while I'm in this body" she wants to connect with someone. This is extraordinary in its beauty and courage.

And her mad scatting at the end is terrifying and beautiful like I've only heard from Kristin Hersh (Throwing Muses).

I can't wait to hear track 2.

15. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

[​IMG]

I've gotten a lot of pleasure from Robert Cray's latest. I have not followed his work loyally, but I plan to double-back and explore what I've missed.

mcwlod and Exile On My Street like this.
  16. You will have a lot to enjoy! By my last count he has 24 albums. All are good. Some are outstanding!!

Guy E likes this.
  17. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

First Rose of Spring has grown on me a lot over the past couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

His voice is a marvel. Stealin' Home is one of the most sentimentally affecting reflections on "time" that I've ever heard. Blue Star is a stunning new Willie original. I don't know if Toby Keith wrote Don't Let The Old Man In for Willie, but "Ask yourself how old you'd be, if you didn't know the day you were born." is a perfect observation about embracing life as the decades pile-up.

Highly recommended to any and all fans of Willie Nelson.

18. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

So I have just 1/3 or so. I'm not sure why I didn't follow his career more closely. I always liked him. Maybe I didn't see his new albums on display in the NYC shops that I used to frequent.

SilkHammer likes this.
  19. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Habibi Funk 013: The King Of Sudanese Jazz, by Sharhabil Ahmed

"Referring to its sonic apperance, Sudanese Jazz hasn’t too much in common with the western idea of Jazz. Sharhabil’s sound feels more like a unique combination of surf, rock n roll, funk, Congolese music and East African harmonies a.o. So it kind of made sense to me, while visiting him in Sudan, to see the records he kept over the years: 2 of his own and 2 by Mulatu Astatke signed to him, further proving the influence of Ethiopian and other neighboring countries. In fact, Sharhabil was not just one of many Sudanese Jazz artist. He is the king of Jazz, literally, since in he won a competion over other artists for that title."

[​IMG]

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  20. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

In no particular order:
    Margo Price - That's How Rumors Get Started
    Bob Dylan - Rough And Rowdy Ways
    Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters
    Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
    Swamp Dogg - Sorry You Couldn't Make It
    Courtney Barnett - MTV Unplugged: Live In Melbourne
    Lucinda Williams - Good Souls Better Angels
    Archival/Reissue:
    Neil Young - Home Grown
    Blaze Foley - Clay Pigeons
    Hank Williams - Pictures From Life's Other Side

Record Rotator and JL6161 like this.
  21. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Taylor Swift's eighth album Folklore is a pop masterpiece. A deeply empathetic, richly evocative slice of ethereal maturity. Most of the album focuses on storytelling songs and character study. Musically, it blends folk, indie, and pop into a truly lovely, hushed mood. I highly recommend it even if you have not been a fan of Taylor in the past. If you have been a fan (like me) this is the best album of her career yet.

richarm, Thorpy, JoeOnWheels and 4 others like this.
  22. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

yep, t swiz rocketed into my top 5

Parachute Woman likes this.
  23. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

I've finally gotten around to the latest Jarvis Cocker project/album "Jarv is." Its good. Love Pulp but have never spent much time in his solo output but this is pretty good.

Beamish13 and Catbirdman like this.
  24. IckenhamAl

IckenhamAl Well-Known Member

It’s got to be Michael McDermott’s ‘What in the World’ for me.​
    As Bruce hasn’t written any new classics for some years now, this guy should have taken over his mantle, as he just keeps getting better.

Spinone likes this.
  25. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

Haven’t heard the album yet, but listened to the track “I Must Evolve” earlier today. It was tremendous fun, with the female chorus echoing his existential questions (E.g. “must I grow old?” “Must I change?” Etc.) with an obvious and hilarious “yes yes yes”.

One of my favorite albums of a few years back was Jarvis’ collaboration with Chilly Gonzalez called Room 29.