Best New Albums of 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockOnSon, Jan 1, 2020.

1. jimbo3688

jimbo3688 Forum Resident

Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

peskypesky and hutlock like this.
  2. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Absolutely, got a copy of it coming in the post as we speak.

peskypesky and hutlock like this.
  3. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

It's been mentioned before, but new GoGo Penguin s/t is absoultely mesmerizing and beautiful.
    Vinyl is perfect too, such a great sound, highly recommended!

Dignan2000, peskypesky, ds58 and 3 others like this.
  4. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

5. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

The new Courtney Marie Andrews album is beautiful.

6. haywood

haywood Forum Resident

I thought Honest Life was one of the best albums of 2016 but her follow ups, while good, haven’t had the same magic for me. I’ve only heard Old Flowers once so far but it sounds more like Honest Life, if not so immediately engaging.

Another great album in 2016 was Lori McKenna’s The Bird & The Rifle, and like CMA the follow up didn’t blow me away, but The Balladeer after a few listens seems like a great return to form.

7. Beyond-One

Beyond-One Well-Known Member

The debut album Silhouettes by Shadow Show is my current favorite of 2020 with its blend of psych/garage rock/girl group styles.

The album has both a rawness to provides some kick and a dreaminess that would seem almost contradictory. This is great sounding on vinyl. :righton:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2020
  8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Still my favorite of the year:

[​IMG]

A good case can be made for Run the Jewels' latest, it's definitely right up there and both will stand the test of time, but Apple's is the one I find myself returning to the most. It reveals more and more each time.

9. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Ditto! I'm going to double dip for both Fiona and RTJ4. Bought the digital versions and plan on buying the cds!

JL6161 and C6H12O6 like this.
  10. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I concur, and if that's not crazy enough for you, here's another item that shockingly just landed on my 2020 Top Five shortlist:

[​IMG]

"The Boy That Invented Rock & Roll"

With 29 years between albums, the Furs could have handed any halfway competent familiar-sounding set of murky tunes to the devoted fanbase and made a respectable bag of money off it. But no, they unapologetically swung for the fences and . . . somehow made a contemporary record that can still sit at the cool kids' table with the best work of their highwire days. YMMV.

11. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Mentioned the (relatively) new Michal Jacaszek Music for Film album in his one and lonely thread started for the KWIATY record a few years ago, but bears repeating here, this is a very nice album. It's a collection of music he's done for films and TV, beautiful set of songs, and surprisingly cohesive too. It's easily been my most listened to music over the last couple weeks. Really nice sound too, I was thinking of getting the vinyl, but really no need, DR12 on the digital and very well done, sounds great...

Jacaszek - KWIATY (2017 experimental/ambient/classical/electronica/jazz)

12. wallabeing

wallabeing Forum Resident

Blake Mills - Mutable Set continues to be great

13. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

This is really great. If I had to characterize it I'd say it sounds a bit like speed-reduced and remixed Basinski-esque disintegration tapes of a melancholic contemporary classical ensemble in the vein of Chopin. Definitely going to purchase this album.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    NorthNY Mark and Davey like this.
  14. djost

djost Hyperactive!

The Allman Betts Band - Down To The River
    [​IMG]

Exile On My Street likes this.
  15. gumsrave

gumsrave Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Bailterspace - Concret

Bailterspace are NZ music legends and this album might just be one of their best. What a treat.

While it's not as heavy, if you've been enjoying the new one from HUM, you might enjoy this too.

Neonbeam, hutlock, ralphb and 2 others like this.
  16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Fruit Bats - Found a Round Stone: Live in Portland

Zuma and Bob Lamonta like this.
  17. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

this soundtrack is tremendous, as are all of their soundtracks.

Ironclaw likes this.
  18. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

19. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I've really been enjoying the new HUM and Boris albums, so this will be right up the alley I'm living in right now.

Pop_Zeus and gumsrave like this.
  20. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

almost zero love on this site for a great British Band, British Sea Power; one of my favourite groups ever.

ARK and JL6161 like this.
  21. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Soft Palms is the brainchild of Julia Kugel (The Coathangers, White Woods) and husband/musician Scott Montoya

The album is a feast of rich sounds and simple, comforting melodies threading together scrappy dream pop and ethereal torch songs into a sultry, spacey, and sublime journey towards brighter horizons.

“My goal was to create something that sounded like a mental hug, a sonic embrace,” Kugel says. “Everything can feel so wild and out of control; we really wanted to create something you could sink into and use to calm those emotions.”

Baddy

Oh Then Then

Oh Then Then, by Soft Palms

Rain & Thunder

Rain & Thunder, by Soft Palms

22. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

On first listen, I'd say that it's pretty heavy. :laugh:

I always loved these guys. I don't remember such a strong FALL influence in the vocals. Sounds great.

23. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Looks like you can download their entire discography (24 albums:eek:) at Bandcamp for 70 bucks, which works out to roughly $3 per album.

24. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

The Fiona Apple disc and `The Lemonade Stand' from Tenille Townes are my
    two favourites so far in 2020. And, oh gosh, the Marcus King solo debut. D'uh,
    how could I forget Bob Dylan?!

25. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

The new Fontaines D.C. record is very good. Feels more cohesive than ‘Dogrel’, though ‘Dogrel’ maybe has more stand-out tracks.