Best New Albums of 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockOnSon, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Ok, this is going to be a controversial one. But, this is a gorgeous, sweeping soundtrack for an anime (OST by Kevin Penkin). Abyss 1 was the sixteenth highest rated album for 2017 on RateYourMusic, which either discredits that website or credits the music maker depending on your view (I'm obviously of the latter viewpoint):

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Beamish13 and Bevok like this.
  2. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

BD2665, Stu02, Ironclaw and 5 others like this.
  3. Tiago

Tiago Member

Hopefully Tame Impala's will be good

4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm enjoying this new release from Parisian indie rockers En Attendant Ana, very catchy but expansive.

Lance LaSalle, BD2665, mcwlod and 5 others like this.
  5. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

6. FingerPickin'Triumph

7. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

[​IMG]Second full length release from this wonderful British rock band. I'm hoping to see them somewhere in North America this year.

8. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Les Amazones d'Afrique - Amazones Power, electronic and pretty revolutionary

zphage and Ironclaw like this.
  10. noddin0ff

noddin0ff Petty Opinionator Third Class

Jeff Parker -- Suite for Max Brown

I've gave this several listens over the weekend. Seems like my jazz purchases lately have a bias toward the International Anthem label and Bandcamp. I find it hard to sum up the sound though it did make me wonder where jazz ends and other styles start -- or maybe visa-versa, when do you start calling it jazz. There's elements of clearly electronic - little blurps and clicks and loops. A lot that has the atmosphere of ambient music. some bits of fusion, some threats of elevator, some pop. And also recognizable jazz. If I hadn't looked up that Parker was primarily a jazz guitarist, I'm not sure I even would have realized that guitar was the 'lead' instrument.

Basically, it pleasantly meanders and blends across many various boundaries, maintaining a steady engagement and a warm inviting listening experience. The album has a feel and, to me, that's what sells it. Really nicely done. Personally, I kind of like both traditional jazz, as well as drone and loopy stuff. So, this album floats my boat. I find it a great balance of sounds. There are tracks that are more traditional, some that aren't and the rest somewhere in between. I imagine if you have a higher need for melody, it could get annoying. Reaching through my limited brain for something similar, I think of some of the Bill Frissel albums I have where the mood seems to take emphasis over advancing the melody.

Last, Suite for Max Brown refers to his mother, pictured on the album cover. Probably has a lot to do with the overall tenderness of the tones.
    [​IMG]
    full album streaming @
    Suite for Max Brown, by Jeff Parker

11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

SWEET.
    I may do the same.

12. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

13. FingerPickin'Triumph

Well said @noddin0ff ... totally felt similarly - and you are right that if you didn't know Jeff Parker was a guitar player (pretty legendary as a member of Tortoise) ... that might not be the first thing that grabs you about his new record - he is definitely willing to experiment with different instruments, and go beyond the boundaries of jazz.. very much in line with some other International Anthem releases.. I also loved his first solo record New Breed as well.

noddin0ff likes this.
  14. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

This is great.

JL6161 and Tristero like this.
  15. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

The Wood Brothers Kingdom In My Mind

16. liquidsolidstasis

liquidsolidstasis Well-Known Member

This single that precedes the album More Of Just The Same by Infected Mushroom, which is thought to be releasing next month.

As usual, their sound has evolved into something new. This particular album sees them collaborating with more artists than usual -- today it was announced on their Facebook page that on February 3rd a second single will drop, Freedom Bill. That is a collaboration track with Freedom Fighters and Mr. Bill. In addition, there is some talk about a collaboration with Astrix on this album.

I am really looking forward to hearing the full album!

17. BrainOfJHA

BrainOfJHA Pearl Jam high five!

The Neon Skyline by Andy Shauf. Just released last week. Had never heard of him but this album is great.

18. drift

drift Forum Resident

I've heard a few very good reissues/archival releases this year (Lightnin' Slim, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Ben E. King - not impressed with the Dave Clark Five), but for me, the clear stand out for new albums four weeks into 2020 is Chip Taylor's In Sympathy of a Heartbreak. It's weary and stark. Makes Blood On The Tracks sound like one of the Beach Boys' jauntier efforts.

19. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Been listening to the new Thunderstars Number Stations album, very nice, kinda hits that sweet spot between Dean Wareham's last days in Galaxie 500 and the first days in Luna, a bit of David Kilgour vibe too ...

20. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Singer/songwriter of Foxwarren fame. See:
    Foxwarren [2018], by Foxwarren

BrainOfJHA and Dayfold like this.
  21. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

Nothing, so far, since both the Kree Harrison and Empty Hearts albums have been pushed back.
    The Huey Lewis is out in two weeks, while the Alicia Keys is out in March. Also sounds like the sophomore effort from The Aces could be out pretty soon, but, all in all, a VERY slow year so far.

22. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Have you heard any of Sam Grendel's work with Sam Wilkes? Is there anything else in that super reedy sax sound that I should be looking into? I love those Wilkes albums (including the weird new live/studio hybrid one).

noddin0ff likes this.
  23. Jasnz

Jasnz Well-Known Member

Picked this up on the weekend as well incredible album and well worth checking out, really nice packaging on this as well.
    First post here btw
    Hello Everyone:)

24. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I have this but have not had chance to listen yet. Just been waiting for the right time to give it proper attention. My copy came with a 7" single containing two songs not on the album plus a Neon Skyline book of matches!

His two previous solo albums, The Party and Bearer of Bad News are also exceptionally good, two of my favourite records of recent times. He's a terrific song writer, a particularly good lyricist. Great live act too, I'll be seeing him for the second time in March.

BrainOfJHA and Mugrug12 like this.
  25. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

To above poster & anyone else posting here for reason highlighted above, please join us over on thread, linked below:
    :tiphat:
    What New Releases Are You Looking Forward To In 2020?

JL6161 likes this.