Best New Albums of 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockOnSon, Jan 1, 2020.

1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    E - Complications. Had I known this came out in April it certainly would have made my top 25 list. Thalia Zedek and her (semi) new trio kick up so much guitar and vocal dust on this thing it's blinding. Rocking, creative and no emotional punches pulled. On a par with anything she's done before, this is pretty amazing.

GuidedByJonO))) and Beamish13 like this.
  2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

The Microphones - Microphones in 2020

[​IMG]

MontyUK, Stu02 and dloew like this.
  3. Terrapin Station

Greg Foat - Symphonie Pacifique

[​IMG]

4. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

For me, it is way too early to tell. I have only scratched the surface of an iceberg when it comes to 2020 releases.

5. Terrapin Station

I was behind on 2020 releases myself, because of a way that I had adjusted my "acquisitions" schematic. I readjusted it again later in the year because I realized the previous tweak was leaving me deficient in brand-new releases. I'm regularly tinkering with it to try to get the balance just right for me.

6. Terrapin Station

Yelle - L'ere du verseau

[​IMG]

7. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Just
    bought this on vinyl. Wow amazing album, also the difference between spotify and vinyl on this album is night & day. I know its true for many of course, but this one... eeeek

Togo and Davey like this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Released toward the end of 2020, missed out on it until today, Portland band WL and the ADHD album, a little bit similar in the atmospheric soundscapes to the Julianna Barwick album, one of my favorites of the year, though more of a post-rock type buildup on some of the songs, like in the closing instrumental "Voices", and more bubbling electronica at other times like in "Water's On My Side". Below the official video for the last two songs on the album, and also Water's On My Side ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZIbOI6gApE

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    It's Felix likes this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Released at the tail end of 2020, I do believe this is my favorite album of the year. It's also one of the best mixed albums I've heard in many, many a year.

Unruly Child from the album Our Glass House

Underwater

Terrapin Station likes this.
  10. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Man I loved their debut all those years ago. I'll have to check out the new one...they've made a bunch in between that didn't appeal to me.

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'd say this is a real good follow up to that first album...yeah, they have been hit or miss but I loved this one.

12. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Wow. I’ll buy anything Zedek has recorded

deege3000 and ralphb like this.
  13. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Just discovered this a couple of weeks ago! Yeah, he's VG++! Hope he continues doing well, while also continuing w/Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, too. Why not?
    Jason's the country end of The 400 Unit, Sadler's the rock end & if 'ya think he reminds you of Tom Petty (R.I.P.:angel:), check out Aaron Lee Tasjan, too. He's got new release in '21. On my thread:
    What New Releases Are You Looking Forward To In 2021
    Also, if you're not aware of them, while the vocals don't sound so much like Tom, The Shelters - the band Tom Petty (R.I.P.) mentored, after catching their show in CA, was so stoked about them, brought 'em back to his home & set them up in-studio to record their self-titled debut album in 2016; might like that, too. :):thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pZaga3Cjy8 - The Shelters, "Birdwatching"

jazdoc and SilkHammer like this.
  14. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

will check this out. thx

Davey likes this.
  15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    Just released, but I figure this thread is getting more traction that the 2021 version.
    Fabulous album, guitar rock that's tuneful, light and heavy and always on point for the song. Some ballads, rockers, some punk/pop, it's well worth your time. Thalia Zedek features on guitar and vocals on 2 cuts, which should attract fans of Come.

16. Terrapin Station

Adrianne Lenker - Songs and Instrumentals

[​IMG]

MonkeyTennis, LilacTeardrop and dloew like this.
  17. Yes I hope Sadler keeps doing his own thing and remains in the 400 Unit. I'll take double the output for sure! BTW, he's a great producer as well. Check out Hannah Wicklund and the Steppin Stones. He produced their last record and it is phenomenal! Also thanks for the heads up The Shelters as well as Aaron Lee Tasjan. I plan to check them both out ASAP!

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Danzig - Sings Elvis

[​IMG]

19. Terrapin Station

Sada Baby - Skuba Sada 2

[​IMG]

20. Terrapin Station

The Acacia Strain - Slow Decay

[​IMG]

21. LilacTeardrop

@SilkHammer I just did check out that Hannah Wicklund and The Steppin Stones self-titled 2018 release ~ Very powerful, cool stuff! Thanks for the recommendation! :righton:

SilkHammer likes this.
  22. You are most welcome! I have seen them live twice. Powerful stuff indeed!

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  23. Terrapin Station

Tusken Raiders (an aka for µ-Ziq / Mike Paradinas) - Bantha Trax Vol. 3

[​IMG]

24. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

The The's soundtrack for Muscle released through their web shop in December is now more widely available. Its mainly instrumental and is very impressive. Includes this Record Store Day single too.

25. LilacTeardrop

Jessie Wagner - Shoes Droppin
    *R&B, Soul-Pop, Funk, Gospel, Blues, w/mean slide guitar on a couple tracks, bringing Bonnie Raitt to mind. There's some balladry, too.
    [​IMG]
    *October 2020 "A multi talented artist who has toured the world with Lenny Kravitz, Chic, Kid Rock, Stevie Van Zandt and Duran Duran. Her powerful, articulate voice lends itself to EDM, RnB, Gospel, Soul, Hip Hop and Rock. Her debut album “Shoes Droppin” is out now on Wicked Cool Records."
    Killer debut!:righton:
    Jessie Wagner - Shoes Droppin (Wicked Cool Records)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvMbmpKT4H4 - Passin Me By
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNbFH6te-pA&list=PLeMEMRCsNh61HJ0VTlt6rfy6LkMZpJOTu&index=28 - End Of Time music video