Best New Albums of 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ironclaw, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Looking forward to the new album by Japanese Breakfast, really like the new single;

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm very much enjoying the new Blackmore's Night album, Nature's Light. Bang up to speed! :righton:

NJ Englishman and Skylab like this.
  3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Where last year was a super year for me with new releases two and a half+ months into this year is a little slow on the new release count with only 5 album releases.

WHMusical likes this.
  4. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Great single, can’t stop listening to it. Michelle Zauner’s voice is tantalizing.

Giant Hogweed likes this.
  5. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

I concur mwheelerk, last year had oodles of great stuff right out of the chute--normally, Jan and Feb are pretty thin, but not in 2020, and then, the deluge, SO MANY great records in 2020, almost all of them done and dusted before the Worldwide Pandemic hit and turned everything upside down. This year, seems pretty slow, a few nice treats trickling out--and this thread is very helpful in that respect, but overall, a much different start to 2021, than 2020, obviously, things art not the same as it was before, but maybe sum daze...

6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

No doubt COVID I am guessing playing a part in that, may be that many artists are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and are waiting to sync up releases with the ability to play live shows

7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

It really is a great album, she's just getting better and better, love this record. Just got a perfect score yesterday at Jane Weaver's ' Flock' Is a Virtuosic Tour de Force | PopMatters ... closing paragraph really sums it up well ...

[​IMG]

The new William Doyle Great Spans of Muddy Time is sounding really good too, only listened a couple times so far, but the Jane Weaver and Virginia Wing duo has really been doing good things for my music enjoyment the last few weeks.

8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Goldfrapp immediately came to mind with that - good call. Great stuff

Neonbeam likes this.
  9. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

This is really an incredible album that I got on heavy rotation.

Indie meets Krautrock ... worth checking out if you dig this kind of music!

Davey likes this.
  10. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Caught her on Fallon the other night.

11. alexwallofsound

alexwallofsound Well-Known Member

Daniel Lanois - Heavy Sun (Eone Music, 2021)

12. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Forum Resident

I've just bought it too and am most of the way through. I've enjoyed it so far, but it's a little odd that two recycled songs have been included. OK, I believe 'Wish You Were Here' is a remake over 20 years after the original (I haven't heard it yet), but 'Darker Shade of Black' was on the last album! It is a great song, though.

Still, I'm very happy to get a new Blackmore's Night album after a 6 year wait. As I have mentioned on another thread, I used Shadow of the Moon and Under a Violet Moon to seduce my wife... :D

carlwm likes this.
  13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Ha ha! That's fab! :D

They dropped off my radar a little bit. The last album I bought before this one was Autumn Sky, so Darker Shade of Night was new to me :). I must pick up the two I've missed out on.

Extraordinary to think they'll have been going for 25 years, next year. I still can't get used to Ritchie smiling in publicity shots. :D

NJ Englishman likes this.
  14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I've been noticing this too. I have Fridays off, so I'm in the habit of perusing All Music Guide and Metacritic for new releases and the weekly haul has been less plentiful so far this year. Maybe things will pick up as the year goes along, but I imagine that the pandemic is a factor as well. With unit sales down and touring off limits, the whole industry must be struggling.

My top picks of the year so far: Shame (Drunk Tank Pink), The Notwist (Vertigo Days), and Jane Weaver (Flock). Keep 'em coming!

Erick Haight and WHMusical like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Missed out on the signed preorder. Didn't see this generating so much demand but... it's great that people are finally getting it!

16. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I would also mention Steady Holiday - Take The Corners Gently, by Steady Holiday
    Though the new album hasn't got to me like the first two, it's perhaps a bit more upbeat and straightforward than the first two which are really fantastic and quite ethereal;

From the last album;

MadMelMon and Robert C like this.
  17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

William Doyle (East India Youth) - Great Spans of Muddy Time

[​IMG]

Recorded on a portastudio, quite a bit of Berlin-era Bowie here.

18. Davey

Yea, really nice album, mentioned it above yesterday, but deserves a bunch of mentions. Should also say that it's a very nice sounding album too, at least the CD version, comes out as DR10, nice and relaxed, very much recommended. And a lot of the instrumental parts do harken back to those amazing and groundbreaking wordless sections of Bowie's Low and Heroes. And maybe it's just because they have a new record out next week after a long time gone that I'm really looking forward to (Green to Gold), but there's a little of The Antlers sound here too at times. Out in the UK today, but vinyl looks to be delayed in the US...

William Doyle - Great Spans of Muddy Time - Review - Loud And Quiet

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  19. Davey

The full Lost Horizons In Quiet Moments album is out now, I think it was released the end of February. Some of you may know already, but they released the first half at the end of last year as an 8-song digital download, and now it gets the full 16-song physical release, and it's pretty great. Lost Horizons is Simon Raymonde and Richie Thomas, formerly of Cocteau Twins and Dif Juz, and the record features different guest vocalists and musicians on most of the songs, so it is quite a varied musical mix, but surprisingly cohesive as a whole, very enjoyable. Bella Union has the full album up on youtube, but below is a sampler, this the fourth track, "Linger" featuring Gemma Dunleavy ....

Also, don't miss a listen to the new one from The Anchoress, The Art of Losing, not for everyone, sophisticated pop music, but she's working at a pretty high level now, and like the Lost Horizons record, many collaborators contributing to a pretty great outcome. The "Unravel" song below from the middle part of the album was the first single (I think) released at the end of last year. Probably gonna show up in at least a few end of the year lists, this year is getting off to a pretty nice start...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn5zutKq6bI

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  20. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut

Just listened to a band called the Anchoress , loving it already . Great reviews too. Thank god for the uncut and mojo still around

LilacTeardrop and Davey like this.
  21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

So far I have:
    Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark
    Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club
    Cloud Nothings - The Shadow I Remember
    Black Country, New Road - For The First Time
    The Weather Station - Ignorance
    Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview On Phenomenal Nature
    Pom Poko - Cheater
    Chris Brokaw - Puritan

22. Davey

It's mentioned in the post right above yours too, really good album :)

Erick Haight likes this.
  23. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Yeah it's been pretty quiet for new releases this year. So far I've enjoyed

Nick Cave and Warren Eliss - Carnage
    Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview Of Phenomenal Nature
    Wild Pink - A Billion Little Lights
    Weather Station - Ignorance

My copy of Chemtrails Over The Country Club came through the post today so will I check it out over the weekend.

mschrist and LilacTeardrop like this.
  24. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

If anyone is looking for anything chaotic/energetic and heavy, the new album by Thirdface is pretty excellent.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  25. Django

Django Forum Resident

New Vinyl Williams side project, the emerald Isle are releasing an album next month.
    Sounds more or less the same as previous VW music but with different voices. I would have guessed the other singer was Ariel Pink....but it's not.
    Spacey psych pop.

The Emerald Isle, by The Emerald Isle

Actuarybrad likes this.