Best New Albums of 2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by noddin0ff, Jan 10, 2023.

1. noddin0ff

noddin0ff Petty Opinionator Third Class Thread Starter

Here it is. Your Best New Albums of 2023 thread! Welcome to the New Year everyone. Post them if you've got them!

As as the name implies, this thread is intended to be album focused, and to be biased towards new albums that you feel rise above the norm. If you are new to the Best New Albums threads, please stay a while. All styles of music are welcome. Even more welcome are words that you write that tell us a bit about why the album caught your attention. Links are encouraged. Conversation is encouraged. "Like" the posts you like. Many of the followers of the thread follow the feedback of others to guide what we check out or acquire. Don't be shy. Do be polite.

The rhetorical Q&A:

Can I post about albums that haven't been released yet?
    -- Do you have some words to back up your enthusiasm?

Can I post EPs? Are they albums?
    -- Does it have more tracks than a single?

What about reissues of the music of my youth?
    -- Seriously?

Can I post a link for a single?
    -- Do you have something to say about an album?

What if a song is great but the album sucks or is at best mediocre?
    -- Seriously?

Previous year threads:
    Best New Albums of 2022 *
    Best New Albums of 2021
    Best New Albums of 2020
    Best New Albums of 2019
    Best New Albums of 2018

Also see this link for lists going back to the 17th century. Seriously.
    Your favorite music from 2022*

Last, if you have songs, singles, videos, that are cool. Or, perhaps, represent your "favorite" music. Look for a "Your Favorite Music of 2023" thread. If there is none, start one.

2. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Thanks for creating this. These yearly threads are THE best way to discover new music, and it’s always a pleasure to discuss it with like-minded souls. Hoping that ‘23 will be as strong as ‘22 was for new releases.

Murph, team2, Putrifiers II and 15 others like this.
  3. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Thank you for starting this for 2023 New albums. Re: the above, every year (at least the last several) there's also specific threads dedicated to what releases (albums) you're looking forward to in (insert year), so the "Best" new album of (insert year) stands as dedicated to what's been released, so as to have formed an opinion as what is "Best". Members utilize those, too, as they're also valuable insofar as placing pre-orders. Room for both, as that's different qualifiers. :righton:

I've participated on the 2023 one & I've seen you there, @Dave Gilmour's Cat. Unfortunately, it isn't as organized as the one @Exitmusic started in 2022. - There's lots of reissues included on 2023 & a number of members (myself included) are frustrated with that, to have to scroll though so much content of no, or little, interest to get to the goods of New albums. I've reached out to the Gorts using the Contact button & via PM, to just please insert the word "New" in thread title, to distinguish, but they're ignoring me. It'd be great if any of you do so as well, so maybe they'll see the reasoning & need to differentiate, especially since there was already a thread in place specifically for 2023 reissues.
    Releases You’re Looking Forward To in ‘23?
    2023: hopes for possible reissues on vinyl or cd
    :tiphat:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    team2, Svetonio, Fred1 and 3 others like this.
  4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

5. noddin0ff

And, as you know, this thread also usually starts out with some posts about what people are looking forward too. It's a nice way to mark time until we actually get rolling with real releases. I suggest the criteria of "Do you have some words to back up your enthusiasm?" as a useful guideline to separate posting lists of titles from the more exciting and engaging discussion that this thread often becomes. But, pffft. it's the internet. rules? I just want to get leads on great new music.

VinylCountdown and LilacTeardrop like this.
  6. noddin0ff

And we're off and running in 2023!

7. whohadd

whohadd Music, whatever media!

Awesome! Let's go! Hope we get some really good new music this year, not just remasters!

8. LilacTeardrop

The last several years, there's been loads of great new music posted on these! I'm thinking 2023's off to a good start. I have one pre-order placed & I feel optimistic! :D (about that, at least! :eek::laugh::winkgrin:)

9. zither

zither Forum Resident

So I need some enthusiastic words about this, as it won't be released until Friday. Ok, Gaz Coombes. One of the best UK songwriters to come from the britpop era. Supergrass were consistently brilliant in their hey day, but Gaz made the smooth transition into solo artist like a duck takes to water. With three solid solo releases behind him, this 4th album is sure to be equally good. Here's a video to give you a flavour of what's to come...

10. LilacTeardrop

Gaz Coombes - Turn The Car Around

[​IMG]

It's Friday so it's released, but I'm focusing on a different one I'd pre-ordered. Gaz's I'd listened to a different early-teaser cut than what you uploaded, liked it & posted about it on the 2023 "...releases looking forward to.." thread a few weeks ago.

Don't Say It's Over

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    MicSmith, Bob J, blind_melon1 and 8 others like this.
  11. LilacTeardrop

Margo Price - Strays
    Genre-fluid: Alt. Country/Americana/Indie Rock-Pop
    Guests: Mike Cambell (Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers, The Dirty Knobs) guitar on Light Me Up, Sharon Van Etten, & Lucius
    FFO: Lilly Hiatt, Aubrie Sellers, Jaime Wyatt, Sarah Shook & The Disarmers
    :):thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Change Of Heart

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
  12. Multiple Offenses

Multiple Offenses Innocent Bystander

I haven't looked too deeply into upcoming releases yet, but one I do know about will be out on 2/10: Raven from Kelela.

I really liked her first album, and it's been 5 years since that was released, so new material is definitely welcome. If you're not familiar with her music, I've seen her frequently associated with the Alternative R&B/Electro R&B labels. Here's a song from the upcoming release:

Svetonio and Kowalski like this.
  13. Swordsandchains

As i await my lp, cd, and shirt in the mail from Italy, i got my download to blast today.

[​IMG]

Greenalishi, M2225 and Bruce Racket like this.
  14. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

It’s still a couple weeks away but I am so excited for the new F*cked Up album. I’ve got two singles from it so far and they’re great.

15. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Billy Nomates – Cacti.

You can hear it here:
    CACTI, by Billy Nomates / Tor

Not quite as good as her self-titled debut. There’s a much broader range of sounds and song types, but some of the immediacy and vitality of that first record has been lost in these fuller arrangements. Plus, there’s more actual singing rather than the “Sprechgesang” (talk-sing hybrid) that I loved on the earlier LP. All that said, it seems to be a real grower…

Dedicated BN thread here: Billy Nomates.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    weirdoc likes this.
  16. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

The Gaz Coombes album is excellent. I see he is touring in April so may consider that if I can make it.
    The new Iggy Pop album is good fun.
    Belle and Sebastian album is solid too although I didn't like the single that they released a few days prior.
    A decent first couple of weeks to the year.

blind_melon1 and Neonbeam like this.
  17. Swordsandchains

New Anthem will be a banger for sure, April 21.

[​IMG]

18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

I heard that single on the radio and hated it – so glossy and “commercial”, like they were desperate to have a hit. Put me right off the album!

zither likes this.
  19. themoralkiosk

themoralkiosk Well-Known Member

CVC - Get Real came out last week and has been on repeat for me since. Welsh psych-rock, very 70s derivative but excellent nonetheless…

20. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

The new Kate Fenner Dead Reckoning is really good, released last week, think it's the first one I've really listened to from this new year, she's got such a great voice, this song below "Ghost Moon" is an early favorite ...

Fischman likes this.
  21. Dave Gilmour's Cat

I like the sound of this. Thanks. Looks as if there’s no CD version, sadly: Dead Reckoning, by Kate Fenner

22. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

23. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  24. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Just got through the Guided By Voices record La La Land which dropped today. Really good record...i know, all their records are good, but this one is standing out this morning.

25. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Katatonia / Sky Void Of Stars
    20 January 2023

[​IMG]

track listing:

01. Austerity
    02. Colossal Shade
    03. Opaline
    04. Birds
    05. Drab Moon
    06. Author
    07. Impermanence (feat. Joel Ekelöf)
    08. Sclera
    09. Atrium
    10. No Beacon To Illuminate Our Fall
    11. Absconder (bonus track)

eric777, FVDnz, Harry42 and 5 others like this.