Best New Wave/Post-Punk Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scootluc, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

This Mortal Coil: It'll End In Tears, 1983.

A post punk album that also contains devastating covers of late Big Star and the best ever cover of a Tim Buckley song. A total one off.

nosliw and jimhb like this.
  2. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

Sorry i'm not sure.

3. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Post-Punk:
    White Lies - To Lose My Life (2009)
    :):):cool::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    This is excellent, IMO. I suppose, technically, it may be post-punk "revival" (based on release date).
    Strongly recommend, esp. for fans of Joy Division, though you needn't be a fan (I'm not & I enjoy).
    - I've just seen them frequently mentioned in the same sentence.

Echo & The Bunnymen - Siberia (2005)

Echo & The Bunnymen - Siberia (Full Album) (2005)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Curveboy likes this.
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Simple Minds 1979-82. Staggering.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  5. love for post-punk

love for post-punk Active Member

As an avid lover of post-punk and New Wave, I want to share with you one of the most underrated, unknown bands in this genre - The Sound.

These are my top 5 songs by The Sound:

1. Counting the days (Off the 1984 EP Shock of daylight)

I can only add 1 media file, so if you like this band, please check these songs out on youtube:

2. Fire (Off the their second LP From the Lions Mouth)

3. I can`t escape myself (Off their first LP Jeopardy)

4. Acceleration Group (Off their final album in 1987, Thunder Up)

5. Hot House (off their second LP From the Lions Mouth / FYI it`s called New Dark Age in that album)

This group has a special place in my heart, mostly because of the amazing lyrics and delivery by the singer and band leader, Adrian Borland. After all the joy this band has given me in dark times, the least I can do is to pass it on to people who might also appreciate it.

paradox55 and Michael Macrone like this.
  6. I have one of those cheap 5-6 CD sets of the first era of Simple Minds albums (in carboard cases) -- and they're all really a LOT of fun! I'm not sure I would have ever even guessed that the first 2-3 of albums were by the band, the sound is so different than what they evolved into. VERY underrated material, that's probably easily overlooked by people who only know the band's hits.

Echo and DTK like this.
  7. love for post-punk

love for post-punk Active Member

The Horror Club from Tokyo Japan are my favorite modern New Wave / Post-punk band. They are underground as F***

Cherrycherry and Jaco944 like this.
  8. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Nor to find yet at discogs as at even Japanese Amazon... The song you posted sounded great, like I was back in the early '80s :agree:

9. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

They have 3 songs on Spotify, good stuff, would love to hear more.
    Recent album here.
    SKELETON AT THE BANQUET, by The Horror Club

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Echo likes this.
  10. sami

sami Mono still rules

"New Wave" isn't a genre, it's a marketing term. What 'genre' includes acts as disparate as Elvis Costello, the English Beat, Rockpile, Flock of Seagulls, the Police, New Order, the Pretenders, etc.?

What's the common thread other than the fact they all recorded around the same time? Most idiotic music term ever.

DTK likes this.
  11. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

In the first half of the '80s we still called all those bands in Europe 'new wave'. However, I don't use this name anymore while this genre got different US and Eur. meanings (so awfull to use at the international SHTV). Most of your examples I will call now post-punk. Rockpile is more pubrock.

12. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

New Wave I associate with Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Graham Parker, Any Trouble, The Jam, Rezillos and that Toyah, Hazel O'Conner dystopian futuristic guff. Not generally my cup of char although there are a few good records. The other stuff (what I consider the good stuff), Joy Division, New Order, The Cure, Echo & The Bunnymen, Felt, The Feelies, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Wire, Gang Of Four, Cocteau Twins, etc, etc (I'd also include Television, Talking Heads, Pere Ubu) which would generally be regarded as Post Punk by some I guess, all got mashed up with the term "Indie" for me. Electronic and New Romantic bands I don't really think of in the same way but there was some overlap early on of course.

13. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

Thanks for pissing on our happy little new wave parade.

14. sami

sami Mono still rules

You're welcome.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's a useless term but it appears to have more currency in the US. Hard to relate to.

sami likes this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Whether people like the term or not, that is what it was called at the time.

17. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Oddly emotional post.

18. sami

sami Mono still rules

Oddly not so emotional reply.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  19. Spun

Spun Forum Resident

"New Wave"? nothing wrong with that (but I'm american). here's pretty good definition that explains why seemingly disparate bands get lumped under the genre: https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/New+Wave/

Pretenders - s/t is one of my all time faves. I think it's new wave.
    Tapes - Party. this one gets to be new wave too.
    Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance. maybe more post-punk, but definite new wave tendencies

there's a few... I could list a bunch more. Maybe my favorite era for music. keep 'em coming.

20. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Some of the tracks on The Modern Dance are re-recorded versions of their earlier singles and b sides from '75/'76, which makes them sorta pre-punk.

21. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Some of my favorites:

Pure Pop for Now People - Nick Lowe
    This Year’s Model - Elvis Costello
    Get Happy!! - Elvis Costello
    Marque Moon - Television
    Remain in Light - Talking Heads
    The Name of this Band is Talking Heads
    All Mod Cons
    - The Jam
    Talk Talk Talk - The Psychedelic Furs
    Let It Be - The Replacements
    Parallel Lines - Blondie
    Eat to the Beat - Blondie

22. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

ELVIS COSTELLO & The ATTRACTIONS
    Armed Forces

23. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Post-punk. The Clash - London Calling
    New Wave: The Clash - Combat Rock

24. sami

sami Mono still rules

It's characterized by agitated and busy guitar melodies alongside jerky rhythm guitars, an heavy reliance on synthesizers, "stop-and-go" composition structures, and a typical use of intricated percussive sections, sometimes with the help of drum machines.

Yes, this is exactly how I would describe the music of the Pretenders, Graham Parker, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, and the Psychedelic Furs.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  25. Spun

Spun Forum Resident

Yeh, exactly... I'm not the best person for this genre defining as I tend to play a bit loose with the terms which some might disagree with. Doesn't that definition describe XTC to a tee? and maybe the first few Costello LPs? Both great bands and some of my favourite LPs are by them. The "New Wave" for me wasn't a particular sound so much as a short time window from 77-78 when I got interested in all those great British bands that were happening at the time. For me it was all over by 79 when the bubblegum sheen wore off and the music started taking a darker turn. I love what Lowe, Edmunds and Parker were doing at the time with that country twang/ rockabilly sound. Maybe that's why the Cars blew up in the UK around that time with those nifty guitar fills. It's all really just rock music I guess.

I seem to remember hearing about that. Maybe it was from the "Datapanik" box? There was definitely a preamble to things blowing up in the last half of the 70's. Devo had been playing those songs for a couple of years before they went to record with Eno in 77. Then there's Television, Talking Heads, and Ramones in '76. It was a really exciting time for the diy music scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.