Best of Opeth compilation...for beginners!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by smith6552, Jun 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smith6552

smith6552 trust the process, not the internet Thread Starter

Opeth is a hard band to infiltrate if you're unfamiliar with them so I created a fictitious cd to be an introduction to the band. I concentrated on what I feel are the most essential (not my personal favorite) songs in their catalog while keeping the time under 80 minutes. I also sequenced them so newbs wouldn't be blasted by demon growls right out of the gate.

1. Sorceress
    2. Moon Above, Sun Below
    3. Ghost of Perdition
    4. In My Time of Need
    5. Deliverance
    6. Face of Melinda
    7. Demon of the Fall
    8. Heir Apparent
    9. The Drapery Falls

2. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

I would fit To Bid You Farewell in there somehow!

3. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

That is an excellent track listing for newcomers to the band. I would swap out “Heir Apparent” for “Hex Omega” but besides that I think it’s great.

SilkHammer likes this.
  4. I must say this is an excellent sampler. I'd be inclined to add a song from "Heritage" as that is my 2nd favorite Opeth record, but I realize I am in the minority in that regard.

chalkpie and ceddy10165 like this.
  5. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Do any of those listed tracks feature 'growls'?. I hate 'growls' & only have their last album which is excellent. Just apprehensive about buying anything else!

6. smith6552

These are all great songs. There are so many I would like to add if only their songs weren't all nine minutes long.:). These were the hardest cuts for me:

Under The Weeping Moon
    The Moor
    Harvest
    Wreath
    Windowpaine
    Harlequin Forest
    The Baying of the Hounds
    The Lotus Eater
    The Devil's Orchard
    Eternal Rains
    Strange Brew
    Heart in Hand

SilkHammer likes this.
  7. smith6552

Growl free:
    Sorceress
    Moon Move, Sun Below
    In My Time of Need
    Face of Melinda

The others all have both growls and clean singing, except Heir Apparent which is all growls. If you like their latest album the closest to it is Sorceress. Damnation is their best (in the eyes of many). Pale Communion is the most prog and then there is Heritage, which many (including me) think is relatively weak, but YMMV.
    These albums are growl-free. The Drapery Falls is a good "intro to growls" song as there are relatively few and they don't come in til later. Once you get used to them you kind of miss them.

8. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I didn’t own one growl album before I heard Opeth. Once I heard them I bought the entire catalog and never looked back. They do it so musically They are the gateway and you have nothing to fear. Now I love Opeth for life and am exploring other bands and genres I never would have if it wasn’t for them.

9. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I agree, I’m typically not a growl vocal kinda guy. I can take it in small doses. But Opeth does it in such a musical way, almost like its another instrument. I love them.

10. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I don't like growling at all, it sounds like a kazoo on steroids.......Opeth music is excellent and Akerfeldt has a better voice on the past several albums.

11. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Forum Resident

Your experience is identical to mine! I had heard great things about them but didn’t explore them because I was aware of the death metal vocals. Then one day I thought ‘OK, let’s see what they are like’ and was blown away. That was 9 years ago.

The light, acoustic passages, intermittent clean vocals and nicely-overdriven-but-not-distorted-to-hell guitar tones give a nice balance to the music.

12. NJ Englishman

NJ Englishman Forum Resident

Opeth is one of those bands where you can throw a dice and always come up with a great compilation album or live set list. I’ve always felt it’s the case that no song is a particular classic / standout of their canon and yet every one is, if that makes any sense. Very few bands have that consistent quality; in the case of most bands the ‘best of’ is a pretty obvious list with a large degree of consensus.

My ‘best of’ Opeth compilation would be very different from yours, but yours is still great!

13. smith6552

Totally agree. If I made a list today it would be different than the one I posted previously. I would say my three favorite albums are Ghost Reveries, Pale Communion and Deliverance.

14. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

I was going to post the exact same sentiment!

I resisted the "growls" for the longest time, finally capitulated, and grew to appreciate them to the extent that I went back and binged on all the great Death and Black metal I ignored in the 90s because I was too closed-minded to learn to like the vocals.

Like high-end booze, extreme Metal genres can definitely be an "acquired taste", but the rewards are many!

primoridal_ooze and ceddy10165 like this.
  15. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Opeth is cool, you can snare people with the beauty and they open up. When my girlfriend and I got together she was very put off by the growls and the more death metal stuff. Until she heard Damnation and Heritage and Pale Communion. She's an absolute fan and loves it all. Will even go to shows.

16. chalkpie

chalkpie Forum Resident

One of the greatest bands of all time imo. Everything is great-to-amazing once you open your mind and heart to MA's art and vision.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  17. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I am a huge Opeth fan. It’s a shame we don’t have an active thread for this band.

18. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

If you have the newest, you can get Sorceress, Pale Communion, and Heritage without any concern.

From there, I highly recommend that you get the double set of Damnatation & Deliverance. I too was 'anti-growl' and then I heard this album and was blown away. I still don't *love* the growls, but I can appreciate them in the context of the musicality, and half the set is totally clean vocals.

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The Grand Conjurati0n (The Ghost Reveries)
    The Funeral Portrait (Blackwater Park)
    The Moor (Still Life)
    Master's Apprentices (Deliveremce)
    Demon Of The Fall (My Arms, Your Hearse)

four sticks likes this.
  20. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Very quick list, kind of an early years, latter years.

When
    The Moor
    The Leper Affinity
    Harvest
    Blackwater Park
    Deliverence
    Master's Apprentices
    Windowpane
    Death Whispered A Lullaby
    Ghost Of Perdition
    Reverie/Harlequin Forest

I Feel The Dark