Best Opening Act You Sat Through .......

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

If I could go back in time, I would have loved to have seen that tour.

Michael Bean and drobo like this.
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

One great opener that pops into mind is a pretty unknown Bon Jovi opening for The Scorpions. Rather a different style of music than the mighty Scorps but they acquitted themselves well and I really did think "these guys could go pretty far"-not imagining by any means the huge scale of their success. I've been lucky to see a lot of good opening bands, not that I can think of many of them offhand. I'm also not counting occasions where the opener was already well known.

My favorite opener was undoubtedly a totally unknown Marillion opening for Utopia (and NOT Marillion blowing it opening for Rush a few years later). Accept opening for Dio was also really good, though not the first time I had seen them.* I liked Catfish and the Bottlemen opening for Green Day at the Rose Bowl, and the band that opened for AC/DC's Black Ice tour. Big Twist and the Mellow Fellows did a really good set opening for The Beach Boys.

*That was actually a tour stop for Restless And Wild in a Mexican ballroom in suburban Chicago, with another really good opener Trouble. Trouble was good and fun but then the crowd started getting restless waiting. The security guard on stage snarled at the crowd to simmer down because "The show doesn't start until the lights go down!" "F you etc!!" He then grinned and asked "Do you want the lights out?!?" and the place went totally bananas. I thought the tiny Asian girl in front of me was going to blind me with her fist; it was the one show I've fought to get FARTHER from the stage!

3. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

Mrs Mills opening up fer Lieutenant Pigeon at the corn exchange Torquay
    Bloody sublime it was, mate

Dave Decadent, Omron and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Her happy Joanna style sure could get the ol' toes a tappin'.

5. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

Mark Knopfler, when he opened for Bob Dylan

Plexiclone likes this.
  6. Omron

Omron Forum Resident

Heavy Metal Kids Opening for Alice Cooper At Wembley Pool.

Dave Decadent likes this.
  7. Omron

Omron Forum Resident

Did Pink Floyd Have a Opening Act for the Animal’s concert at Wembley Pool in 1977?

8. Omron

Omron Forum Resident

How boring was that ?

Finch Platte likes this.
  9. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Yes, it was basically a equal double bill. I've had never seen that many guitars at once that the Eagles had available. NOthing else i've seen comes that close to being a perfect concert. The sound was top notch as well. Not all venues have that. I saw Supertramp in their prime but the Richmond Coliseum totally ruined the experience.

Thanks for that link!

Oatsdad likes this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

1st Set on Jan 1 so 3rd show?
    With "The" Machine Gun?

jhm likes this.
  11. All Down The Line

Yeah (sigh) Australia is a long way away!
    We never even got a Clapton/Winwood tour, how did you feel when they went into Voodoo Chile?

12. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I'll give y'all a couple:

Billy Squier opening for Foreigner on the 4 tour
    Joe Henry opening for Wilco on the Summerteeth tour

13. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

blehman likes this.
  14. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Yes! Most of the set list was new stuff, and I didn't know it. But Machine Gun stood out in a major way. Having him do that amazing solo just in front of
    you was unforgettable.

jhm and All Down The Line like this.
  15. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

Gotta be Dylan opening for Paul Simon, and Phil Lesh.

Also saw Rose Tattoo open for Aerosmith. It wasn't that they were so great, but it was on the replacement players tour of Aerosmith and Tyler was so wasted that night the audience stole the microphone from him. So they won by default.

16. joefont

joefont Senior Member

Fairport Convention (the Full House lineup w/Richard Thompson) opening for Jethro Tull at Fillmore West 1970. Been a Fairport fan ever since!

17. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

Would like to hear a record by those two, a la Summers and Fripp. But they seem like an odd combination personally, with Robin always so cheerful and Fripp not, especially at that time.

18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Primus opening for 24/7 Spyz in Boston 1990. We were talking to people in line and no one seemed to know who they were. Needless to say we were all blown away.

Sean Lennon opening for Sonic Youth, nothing against Sean...I was just surprised at how good he was. I almost forgot I was there to see Sonic Youth.

Angel Dust and Opeth opening for Nevermore at L'Amour. I remember Dirk the singer for Angel Dust being blown away by the reception for a relatively unknown band in the US.

Event opening for Fates Warning at L'Amour.

19. The Strawbs supporting Steeleye Span (playing acoustic set)
    Tarantism supporting Hawkwind
    Sepultura supporting Motorhead

20. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Where did ac/dc open for Reed?

21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Watching Neil Young & Crazy Horse open for DMB back around 2002 didn't suck.

Clive Carroll opening for John Renbourn & Jacquie McShee was also phenomenal.

22. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Rush opening for Nazareth in Saskatoon, 1975.

I had only heard In the Mood and Fly By Night on the radio. They played a good chunk of Caress of Steel, which hadn't been released yet.

23. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Brandi Carlile opening for Vienna Teng at the 'old' Neighborhood Theater in Charlotte. I was not in a good mood and had a cold, but went anyway, knowing I could get a seat and not be around other concert goers. This was about the time Brandi's debut was released and I had no idea who she was. She and the twins came out and early in the set, my chin was on the floor in awe of the music and her voice. (She also did some songs that would be on the second album, The Story). Since I had a cold, I didn't want to go near Brandi or the guys if they had a meet and greet. But, sure enough, I ran into one of twins in the men's room. Practiced what is now known as social distancing, but was able to express my love for the show. When I got the album, I discovered all members of the trio contributed songs. l loved that first album, though subsequent albums did not connect with me like that debut.

24. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

The High Llamas opened a Stereolab tour I saw in Philly in the 90's. Don't believe they have been back since. So good -- Pet Sounds vibe,

25. All Down The Line

No doubting that and do you recall your thoughts about the new sound of Jimi hooking up 4 pedals together?