Best peak period INXS album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NiceMrMustard, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

In oz just about every song on the swing was a hit single

2. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I saw them on the Listen Like Thieves tour. Excellent show. My brother met Michael Hutchence after the show at a bar and got his autograph for me. Got it hanging in my office.

black sheriff, MarkO, 2141 and 3 others like this.
  3. mark winstanley

So far this poll tells me folks aren't really that familiar with inxs .......

ausgraeme, OptimisticGoat and davers like this.
  4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I am familiar with most of their stuff but their peak comercially and maybe artitically was with Kick, every song is fantastic.

I do love The Swing and Thieves.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

that's fair. to some extent i think you needed to be in oz when the swing came out to fully appreciate it. it was enormous. it was like that was the only album released that year lol
    I think the only song that didn't get radio airplay was face the change.
    and in oz dekadance was a cassette that was huge and extremely different to the U.S. 12"
    Cassette: WEA XS 4 (Australia)[edit]
    1. "Original Sin" (Produced and mixed by Nile Rodgers)
    2. "I Send a Message" (Produced and mixed by Nick Launay)
    3. "Burn for You" (Produced and mixed by Nick Launay)
    4. "Dancing on the Jetty" (Remix by Andrew Farriss)
    5. "Melting in the Sun" (Produced and mixed by Nick Launay)
    6. "Love Is (What I Say)" (Remix by Mark Opitz)
    7. "Jackson" (featuring Jenny Morris)
    The only thing on there that wasn't off the swing was jackson (yes the old country song)
    and yes it sold well also

6. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Ive never heard that Dekadance EP. Would love lo listen to it.

7. 905

905 Senior Member

I'll give the vote to Welcome to Wherever You Are, but like all that are listed.

NiceMrMustard and John Adam like this.
  8. mark winstanley

it's only on cassette to the best of my knowledge. i never owned it, i was waiting for a cd, but it never happened. One of my mates had it, it was pretty good, i think the tracks were remixed. Maybe someone from oz that had it could give us more details @Mylene - you generally seem to know about all this stuff. What have you got for us?

9. Dom W

Dom W Forum Resident

The Swing was the peak for me - INXS at their idiosyncratic best. It had a unique mix of funk, new wave and pop. After The Swing, their music headed for the arenas. While the post- Swing albums yielded some thrilling singles, their music lost its quirkiness.

I agree with Walrus that Welcome to Wherever You Are has far too many echoes of Achtung Baby.

mark winstanley likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

[​IMG]

it isn't even on discogs ... i found one copy on ebay for $60 .....

Mylene and Szeppelin75 like this.
  11. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Wish I could vote for The Swing and Listen Like Thieves, but I think the latter 'just' edges it out...

12. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

Maybe it is just a nostalgic thing for me (WTWYA was one of my first cds) but I much prefer it to Achtung Baby...or pretty much every U2 album.

NJB

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD likes this.
  13. Dom W

Dom W Forum Resident

Dekadance was only released as a cassette in Australia.

It's a great alternate version of The Swing.

There were a few pressed on vinyl for promo purposes. However the best sounding versions of some of these remixes can be found on Australian 12 inch 45 rpm singles.

The first three tracks are also available on Australian 12 inch singles and sound fantastic - incredible bass and dynamics. The Dancing on the Jetty remix was available in Australia as a 7 inch single.

Melting in the Sun remix was also released on 12 inch with the remix of What You Need.

I found Jackson on a Best of Jenny Morris CD.

From what I remember, Love is What I Say is the only unique track, but I could be wrong.

14. mark winstanley

cheers mate

15. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Just checked myself , there's one on auction with a starting bid of $80 , I had a few copies of
    this but lost them all , last one was in the glovebox of a car I wrote off in the early 90s .

There's an Aussie promo on vinyl limited to 250 copies , there's 2 on discogs , cheapest is $230 Aussie .
    [​IMG]

Mylene likes this.
  16. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Not too familiar with their early material, but I always liked X more than Kick. Truth be told, the one I go back to is Live Baby Live.

17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

There were six variations of the cassette cover and the LP had pictures of all six on its sleeve. The serial number was XS-4. I've got a copy somewhere. I'll post some pics when I get home.

Edit: Motownmanic beat me to it.

Szeppelin75 and OptimisticGoat like this.
  18. motownmaniac

Dekadance cassette has just become my Salvo's , Vinnies and Op shop holy grail , there has to be a few out there .

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Most thrift shops won't even accept cassettes.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  20. motownmaniac

See quite a few over here , mainly in church shops and salvos . It's kind of a buyer beware deal , recently got
    Icehouse - Man of Colours for $1 .

Szeppelin75 and Mylene like this.
  21. davers

davers Forum Resident

I like Shabooh Shabaah the same way a lot here like Kick...great songs from beginning to end (one song excepted maybe). Kick is of course loaded with great singles, but they had gradually lost the new wave edge that hooked me back in '82/'83.

JeffMo likes this.
  22. moops

moops Senior Member

The Swing - It still sounds fresh and melodically it has more hooks than any one album has a right to.

They didn't get any better than the Swing for me, though Shabooh Shabaah is no slouch either.

SpudOz, pwhytey and OptimisticGoat like this.
  23. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I Kick but could easily Swing!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Szeppelin75 likes this.
  24. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

They are all great albums! However I think "Welcome To Wherever You Are" is the most interesting of the lot. IMO, this is where they peaked.
    Not Enough Time is sleek and sexy, and Heaven Sent is one of their best rockers. Beautiful Girl is a great song and ballad. Even the packaging for the CD and promo singles was interesting! :)

25. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I’ve heard all of these albums, and I vote for Kick. So many great songs.

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.