Best Picture Oscar Winners : The Good, The Bad and The Really?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

lol, sorry, :targettiphat: I was thinking its gonna look so aggressive if you don't know the reference, my bad!

strong disagree! but I love Altman so im biased, I think its the running for best of the decade

2. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The murder at the end was possibly - to that point in American cinema - the most important killing of a female on-screen to ever have occurred, with the possible exception of Psycho. At the time it was considered incredibly unexpected and disurbing. It was so disturbing that the film was blamed - 5 years later - for inspiring the John Lennon assassination.

It's in my top 3 Altman films, so I obviously support it being there.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    polchik likes this.
  3. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I remember going to see Bound For Glory and I was, literally, the only person in the theater.

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Well, I’ve probably seen a few movies I liked where I was alone in the theater. But I guess you mean that you agree it’s meh?

5. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I remember that I liked it at the time, but Carradine was a bit low-energy for the role. Imagine if someone like Oscar Issac (Inside Llewyn Davis) had played him.
    The problem with biopics is if you ask the average person on the street who Woody Guthrie was, they wouldn't have a clue, so they're not going to pay to see it.

Monosterio likes this.
  6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

A friend and I went to see ' Scarface ' on Christmas Day and we were the only two people in the theatre. Kind of weird.

7. Monosterio

1971 was another strong one, marred only by Nicholas and Alexandra. The other four:

The French Connection
    A Clockwork Orange
    Fiddler on the Roof
    The Last Picture Show

Replace N&A with McCabe & Mrs. Miller and that would be another perfect year for me.

8. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

A friend and I went to a 500PM showing of Talking Heads “Stop Making Sense” and we were literally the only ones in the theatre. At least they showed it to us. 15 years earlier two other friends and I went to a showing of “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”. They refused to show it unless more people came. We literally begged other people passing by to come see the movie but no one did. So they didn’t show it and I still have never seen it.

9. Wildest cat from montana

I thought they were legally obligated to show a movie if it was said or stated that there would be a showing at any specified time.

10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Harold and Maude is a good one too + straw dogs, 2 lane blacktop, klute…..

Mechanical Man likes this.
  11. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

That’s incredible The Player wasn’t nominated. I’ve watched it twice in the last month on The Criterion Channel, and I think it’s a masterpiece. I love the meta nature of the film. Tim Robbins was perfectly cast. The Player is the master, Altman at the height of his craft.
    I love this exchange:

Larry Levy: I'll be there right after my AA meeting.

Griffin Mill: Oh Larry, I didn't realise you had a drinking problem.

Larry Levy: Well I don't really, but that's where all the deals are being made these days.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't love "Carrie", but it's a better movie than "Glory".

"Marathon Man" would be my pick for BP over "Glory" or "Carrie"...

13. Oatsdad

Yeah, it had a "you're a loser in your basement" vibe - which might be true! ;)

I like some Altman but in general, his style doesn't work for me.

The whole "179 lead characters!!!" thing in "Nashville" seemed like a bad idea...

the pope ondine likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

It's weirder that you chose to see "Scarface" on freakin' Christmas Day!!! :laugh:

15. Oatsdad

I dunno about that, but one good thing about digital projection systems is that there's zero reason for theaters not to run movies - even if they sell no tickets.

They don't have to deal with projectionists or worry about problems with the print, so they might as well...

16. Wildest cat from montana

Criminal.
    I thought he should have been nominated too for ' Bob Roberts ' ( and the movie as well). If memory serves he got a nomination from the Golden Globes for it but that didn' t carry over to the Academy Awards.
    Great film.

17. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

True, but he never won for best picture, directing, writing or acting.

18. HaileyMcComet

They started in 1929 for movies released in 1927-1928, in time for The Circus, City Lights, Modern Times, The Great Dictator, Monsieur Verdoux and Limelight. All very memorable.

19. HaileyMcComet

He said publicly that movie people patting themselves on the back with their own awards was a stupid idea.

20. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Do you guys think Spotlight deserved the Academy Award for Best Picture?
    The nominees were:
    The Big Short
    Bridge of Spies
    Brooklyn
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    The Martian
    The Revenant
    Room
    Spotlight

21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Most are decent movies (except the awful Bridge of Spies), so I guess...?

22. Monosterio

I do, but not by much. I wasn’t hugely impressed by any 2015 film, and just this year alone there are a handful of pictures I would pick over anything on that list.

Oatsdad likes this.
  23. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I haven't watch that one. Why do you think it's awful? And what's your favorite from the list?

24. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I found it very boring, and it seemed like folks were trying too hard.

Hard to pick a favorite from that list, and I havent seen Room or Brooklyn. So I guess Spotlight, even though it's a bit by the numbers.

25. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I watch Spotlight a couple of weeks ago. It's a good film. But a Best Picture winner? Come on.. Just because the topic is heavy, doesn't make it the best film of the year. That's what I hate about the Academy. They did tge same thing with Argo. But Argo is definitely a great film IMHO.
    I don't think I like 2019 films as much as you do. I still prefer 2015 hehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.