Best Pink Floyd live album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Feathers, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

No, saying something sucks and is nonsense is not really like saying the sun sets in the west.

Biscuit1970 and JohnCarter17 like this.
  2. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

On my tape of the radio broadcast, the DJ says the audience numbered 400 people.
    I’ve always been insanely jealous of those 400 people.

Big Pasi likes this.
  3. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

Now that I know the reference to Pompeii was to the recent release, I changed my vote. That concert blew me away so much on youtube I had to have the Blue Ray. It did not dissappoint. It dethroned Pulse.

4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The Title of this Thread is 'Best Pink Floyd Live Album', not the 'Best David Gilmour Live Album'. Yes, Gilmour's version of Pompeii is good for someone over 70 years of age, but is not relevant to this Poll, otherwise I would have added that Gilmour's Gdansk Concert would have been my 2nd Choice after the Live Part of 'Ummagumma' if this Poll included all PF Related Live Albums.

Oh, and the Original Live Pompeii, did not suck(although technically a Video until the Early Years Box Set where it got an Audio Release), as it contained the Band jamming to Most of their Best Songs(better than most of the crap on 'The Wall').

Detroit Music Fan and dkmonroe like this.
  5. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, I meant the original Pink Floyd Pompeii release. I count it as a live album with it's inclusion in TEY.

Although that does bring up the question--do any of the live releases from the solo band members compete with the live albums from the band? We've got two live Roger Waters albums--In the Flesh, and the Wall (with a third possibly on the way, along with the video), and three David Gilmour live albums--Remember That Night, Live at Gdansk and Live at Pompeii.

Not to mention, we'll hopefully be getting a Saucerful of Secrets live album soon, too. Wonder how that will compare...

duggan likes this.
  6. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Okay, I will cause trouble. My favorite is Meddle. Others can make substantial arguments for other albums, but I stand firm.

7. Johnny Feathers

How is Meddle a live album?

8. Front Row

Front Row Finding pleasure when annoying those with OCD.

Oops, missed that part of the thread.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

How much of Pompeii was redone in the studio?

10. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I mean it's just part of a box set, not an album per se.

11. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

That is what I originally thought. It's why I originally chose Pulse.

12. dkmonroe

The performances that look to be done "at night" are studio performances. Also some of the vocals for actual Pompeii performances such as "Echoes" were re-done at least partially in the studio.

"Echoes", "A Saucerful of Secrets" and "One Of These Days" were performed at Pompeii.

J_D__ likes this.
  13. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

All their live albums are great (even THE MAN AND THE JOURNEY), but PULSE is my favourite.

14. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Nice summary of their live material. Maybe you can help me. I'm really a fan of 1970/1971 live era Floyd, and earlier too. I recently dug out an old copy of live in Berlin June 5, 1971, Mauerspechte and I just love it even though the sound quality isn't the best. Pretty much every song is extended! I'd really like to find a show similar to this with the best sound possible. Is there anything you recommend seeking out? Should I be trying to get the two discs from TEY box set that you mentioned? (Sounds like an obvious yes.) I've download a bunch of other songs from that set off of iTunes, but I'd rather look for the individual CD's if they're available. Or do I have to get the whole box? Is there unofficial stuff of this kinda of quality out there?

15. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Here you have an informative overview of the unofficial material floating around, some of which got included in the Early Years box:

Essential Floyd – Collectors Music Reviews

Detroit Music Fan and Syscrusher like this.
  16. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Amazing read. Thank you! I'll be back in a bit...

jay.dee likes this.
  17. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

I did not know this. I am disappointed to learn this. I thought Pompeii was recorded live, through and through.

ARK, Oliver and dkmonroe like this.
  18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

All good, and all different

19. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I guess the next question is: are all of the other 'live' albums listed completely live, or do some of those also have studio overdubs etc? I'm guessing that The Man, The Journey would be truly live as it wasn't released at the time, and perhaps Live in 1974?

20. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

Wembley '74.
    You've Got To Be Crazy may be my favourite Floyd song. I love Dogs too, but there's a magic in that early version for me that is missing from Dogs.

21. dkmonroe

Yeah, I never knew it for years, I just assumed they filmed at night! I figure it just goes to show how difficult it was to do something like that with early 70's technology.

Oliver likes this.
  22. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Yeah that bothered me too a bit when I learned that way back. Regardless it still contains some of my favorite versions of those tracks so there's that. Hate to say it but the studio Echoes on Meddle always sounds so subdued compared to the much more powerful (IMHO of course) Pompeii version.

23. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

For the record I chose Pompeii, followed by the 1st Ummagumma disc and then The Man and the Journey. There's something about early live Floyd that is just so raw, exciting, weird, mysterious, etc...compared to later Floyd live. Dont get me wrong DSOTM-Final Cut is one of my favorite eras from any band but sometimes they just are a little too professional sounding as they are doing the arena rock thing. Not as much improv, less intimacy of venues is part of that.
    That said I would LOVE an official live album from the Animals tour.

24. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

ASoS from Ummagumma is a frankenstein of two performances of the song. It's been rumored that Wembley had some tinkering done to it when it was released in the Immersion sets. Pulse had some overdubs and/or patches from other performances to fix errors or to make the release sound better. I'm sure DSoT had some tinkering as well. The vast majority of live albums do.

croquetlawns likes this.
  25. Johnny Feathers

I thought DSoT was confirmed to have been sweetened and had new parts recorded. That’s the one album of theirs I’d always heard about then “fixing”. I figured Pulse would be, too.

I’m more surprised at the 1974 one, if so. It doesn’t sound like it, to me, but I don’t have any knowledge one way or the other.

croquetlawns likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.