Best Pink Floyd live album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Feathers, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Listening to Pulse on the last Vinyl Reissue can't be beat.

Just an incredible pressing

2. edfom

edfom Forum Resident

If you go to the Pulse wikipedia page it tells you what dates the songs on the album come from. High Hopes really sticks out as apparently it's made from five (!!) different shows.

I'm trying to remember where I read a discussion about '74 being altered. I think it may have been yeeshkul where they were comparing what was released to the boots of that performance.

3. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

I know on DSoT there was acoustic guitar added to Comfortably Numb that was recorded in the studio. I don’t know what else was altered.
    I remember reading Gilmour wasn’t happy about that and made an effort to not include any studio overdubs on Pulse, but instead Frankenstein songs together from purely the live recordings.

4. pinktree1

pinktree1 Forum Resident

A better version of this concert:

[​IMG] versio

Syscrusher likes this.
  5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I grew up with a number of Floyd bootlegs, including Pompeii, The Man And The Journey and, my favourite, Transcendental Medication. I found out later that this was actually an assemblage of the 2 BBC performances I mentioned above (1970-07-16 from "Devi/ation" with full AHM and 1971-09-30 from "Reverber/ation" with full Echoes and Fat Old Sun). It was all in there and it was glorious, even if not in the best sound quality.

When The Early Years came out, it was the first time that I got to purchase this recordings officially, in spite of growing with them. I was ecstatic. For you, who are unifamiliar with the recordings, I reckon it will be like finding a treasure trove. Start with those two, you won't be disappointed.

6. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Wembley 74 & Pulse

7. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I just pulled out my out my old CD of Pompeii and rediscovered my new favourite version of Careful With That Axe Eugene.

I got these two sets. They are fantastic of course! A little pricey for only 3 CD's worth, they should've thrown in the complete Montreux show.
    I'm especially pleased to have a beautifully recorded Embryo with babies and whales section and the extended Fat Old Sun.
    Zabriskie Point was a revelation as well, far better than both More and Obscured By Clouds in my opinion.
    Now what's next? The Dark Side Immersion set looks pretty cool. I wish they would put the complete shows on though.

jay.dee and NunoBento like this.
  8. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Had to vote for Delicate and show it some love. Yes, Wembley 74 (across three different sets) is incredible, PULSE a better performance than Delicate, and Is There Anybody? has the most ‘complete’ version of Floyd doing The Wall. Delicate however was my gateway into all things Floyd after watching the Venice one night on TV after stumbling in from the pub. Wore out two cassette copies of the album to the point that the tapes stretched and snapped before buying the CD.

Those formative listens were a revelation, such strange, beautiful music. I’d no idea who Roger was or even that he was absent. I was just absorbing a mother lode of music directly into my ears.

There are Floyd live albums/sets I listen to more these days, but Delicate was that vital first step.

duggan, Syscrusher and NunoBento like this.
  9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I went with Pulse, because I never cared for the Pompeii concert. I had a bootleg tape of the concert before it became more widely available. I think it was a dub of the VHS tape. It just never did anything for me. Pulse is way better than Delicate Sound of Thunder.

10. duggan

duggan Senior Member

It's not perfect but what is so bad about it?

11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I am not a fan of how the extra players or the synth patches come across, certainly not in the original mix. Never played the LP more than a handful of times in thirty years

Thought maybe the remix would improve things but based on how compressed "Run Like Hell" is on the Highlights release (and general harsh sound on many tracks of that LP), I'm not optimistic about it anymore... if there were a film screening near me I may check it out just to see it on a big screen and surround system, but I don't think I'd ever play it at home even as a brilliant sounding standalone 2xCD

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    duggan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.