Best Price For Star Wars Trilogy DVDs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MagicAlex, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

CompUSA is selling DVDs again? I thought they quit that. One cool thing, Media Play is open until a half hour after midnight tonight because of the Star Wars dvd. I'll be going there, to pick up the new Mad TV set for 25% off, after I get off work at midnight.

2. floyd

floyd Senior Member

They are stating on this site about a OAR and an MAR version comming in a black and silver and black and gold box they say stay away from the black and gold box does anyone know what the differences are what does OAR and MAR meaN?

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

OAR = Original Aspect Ratio (The Star Wars trilogy was filmed in 2.35:1 widescreen so this is the one to get, original image size)

MAR = Modified Aspect Ratio (This version is cropped down to 1.33:1 aspect ratio :shake: ) (AKA Pan & Scan :hurl: )

4. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

Nah, it going to be released on Tuesday. They always have the item in the ad the Sunday before. I saw the ads, and the sets were in there, and neither one had a price. They don't want people price shopping the ads on this one for some reason. I think they want to sell it as an impulse buy. Last week the second season of Lost In Space was released. Target had it for $29.99. I went to Costco and found it for $23.99. The last Star Wars movie was on sale at TRU for $5 the day it was released. (It didnt last long either - I got the last copy at about 1PM that day.) I am going to Costco tommorrow and I will see what they have it for.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Costco is probably the place to go. Good call.

6. James RD

James RD Senior Member

Not if you have a Fry's around. $36.99 Tuesday only.

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going to swing by there today at lunch.

8. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I wish I had a Fry's around. Everyone always talks about them (at least in online forums) and they seem great. Maybe I'll make it to one some day!

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My local Costco had them for $43.39, but the price wasn't marked on the box for some reason. That's 40 cents more than Best Buy, but being the big money hustla that I am, I just plopped down that extra 40 cents without batting an eye. You gotta fake it 'til ya make it, I always say.

Regards,

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

$46.97 out the door at my local Costco.

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Amazon delivered my box set to the door for $41 this afternoon. Great service!

Just enjoyed "A New Hope". The disc looks great.

12. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I just picked one up at CompUSA for $39.99.

13. RDK

RDK Active Member

Does anyone else think that slipcase box really blows?

14. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

It definately does. But at least the Movies are in individual Amaray Hard Cases. I just store the outer boxes anyway.

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

$43 at local Costco. $42.99 at Best Buy.

16. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Paid $41 at Amazon.com. Seems that prices are quite low...

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think I may have set a record.

$35.99 at Fry's. :bigeek:

It took me a while to even find them going in the store. I asked some clerks, they said they had big displays that were wiped out. There was maybe 30 left on the shelf.

18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Best price I found in Vancouver was $54.98CDN or about $42US to $43US.

I'll leave it sealed for a few days and see what happens to pricing. If it drops significantly I can return for an adjustment. I'm in the store weekly anyway.

19. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

anyone seen a price at Circuit City? (I'm too lazy to call).

20. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

No Fry's around here, unfortunately...that is a terrific price! :eek:

21. smoggyusa

smoggyusa New Member

$39.99 at K-mart, picked up my WS edition this morning :goodie:

22. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

36.99 in the Frys ad around here. I was in line at Best Buy with the Comp USA ad for 39.99 but the guy behind me had a Frys ad for 36.99 and the clerk let me have it for that price too. :D

23. tony2v

tony2v Forum Resident

WalMart has it for $34.98, but they were out of the Widescreen version. They are getting more tonight so I'm stopping in on my way to work in the morning.

24. reidc

reidc Senior Member

My local Wally-World here(North Reading MA) had it for $45! :sigh: I grabbed it anyway- as I didn't feel like running around.

Chris

25. Not trying to thread crap, or start something, I am just curious. After reading all the posts in this thread so far it seems the price is differing by about $8 on average, and a bunch of prices are differing by $3 or less. Sure there are a few highs and lows, but I am looking at averages. This small swing in price seems trivial to worry about when you consider all the other things that involve shopping around. Waiting in lines, dealing with parking lot traffic, drive times, searching for availability and best price...you know, all the stuff associated with going to the store. For less than $10 I would just go to the nearest store and get the thing, and never look back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.