Best Price For Star Wars Trilogy DVDs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MagicAlex, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Cleandan,

I see your point. Probably the interest in the price comparisons is to understand just how low below cost a retailer will go to earn your business. Although I have no firm number, I would imagine that most big retailers pay ~$45 per set. Pretty funny to see how big of a hit they will take just to have you walk in the store.

Luckily for me, the absolute closest retailer was indeed Fry's, who happened to have such a comparatively low price.

2. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

It's called MAP (Minimum Advertised Pricing). For some reason, thanks to Gov't regulation, it no longer exists in the music biz on CDs (creating major frustration for music retailers competing with big box retailers). It is still allowed to exist in other industries like DVDs, computers, etc. These stores can sell them for whatever they want, but they are not allowed to publish a price lower than a certain price point on any materials sent to consumers or on any literature that leaves the store.

3. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

True, but from where I work, I could have gone to 5 or 6 different places to buy the set, that are less than 6 blocks away. I ended up buying one of my employees lunch to pick my set up, so I probably paid more than most of you guys anyway :)

4. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Sometime finding the best price is more of a treasure hunt then anything. I ended up driving 40 miles one way to go to best buy yet I could have went to Walmart at 15 miles away and got it for a few $ more but did I care... no because on the way home I stopped into a little used store and found Ray Charles Country and Western Hits DCC disc for $6.98! Sometimes the hunt is part of the fun.

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

By the same token, someone who orders it via Amazon or another retailer that offers free shipping can get a heck of a good price AND avoid the wasted time, with the set arriving at your door within a few days of shipment. I agree--I also don't need to drive to a store that is a distance from me just to save a dollar or two. If the time and hassle aren't worth it, I'll pay a buck or two extra to get it from a local store.

I'm holding off on buying the set until the holidays when, hopefully, I'll have more spare money to spend on it. For that reason, I'm hoping that the low release-week prices on this set aren't just a temporary situation, and that I will be able to buy this at a decent price in the near future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.