Best Prog Rock Singer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ridgeback, Oct 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Very nicely stated.

I believe Bruford's nickname for him was marblemouth. Starless alone is hall of fame material, for me one of the greatest vocal performances on record.

2. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I could not agree more on "Starless" being one of the greatest vocal performances. Even after almost forty years of hearing it pretty regularly, it never ceases to astound me.

3. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Honorable mention to Gabriele Marconcini

Raven Sad Colorbox (from The leaf and the wing, 2021)

4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

For what it’s worth, I’m not a genre or tag person myself, but I’m well aware of the artists that i like who repeatedly fall into prog rock’s widely cast genre net. Matching Mole are usually, if not always, grouped under ‘prog rock’, as I’m sure forum members are aware. This, despite Robert Wyatt’s personal wishes.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    dubious title likes this.
  5. doity

doity Forum Resident

Jon Anderson for sure. When I saw ABWH live in about 1990 or so, his voice was identical to the record(s). Greg Lake had a change with his vocals by the early 90’s, and neither Gabriel or Anderson were very good vocalists. I always thought of Wetton as a Greg Lake knock-off so I wouldn’t even include him, though I liked UK.

Justin Hayward? Though he would probably not refer to himself as a prog singer. Really, the list is pretty small when you think about it.

MGM likes this.
  6. doity

doity Forum Resident

I absolutely love The Strawbs, but I could never think of Dave Cousins as a great vocalist. Unique maybe, but that is about it.

7. Frank Lee Scarlett

Frank Lee Scarlett Forum Resident

I stand by my opinion that Wetton's singing is by far the weakest link on Red, and the one thing that actually kept me from enjoying the otherwise superb album for a good while. "One of the greatest vocal performances on record" sounds like a Bizarro joke to me.

Svetonio likes this.
  8. PhR

PhR Forum Resident

Lot of my favorites already mentioned:
    Hammill, Richard Sinclair, Wetton, Stratos, Magma singers, Steve Walsh, Collins, Gabriel etc.
    Fish is great and another I like from that era is Geoff Mann (of Twelfth Night) who also had some Hammill influence I think.

Kim Mitchell of Max Webster is probably not your typical prog rock vocalist (or Max Webster a typical prog rock band) but I think he was perfect for their stuff with his low voice.

Of the new bands I like Peter Brewis of Field Music.

9. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

Gotta go with Roger Waters. If you saw him live on any of his last several tours, he sounds just like he did on the recordings. :nyah:

beavy and ARK like this.
  10. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

I think that Derek Shulman is a good singer but when it comes to Gentle Giant, my most cherished tunes are sung by either Phil Shulman or Kerry Minnear. I like their delivery most. That being said, they're not my favorite prog rock singers.

11. BirstallBlue

BirstallBlue Forum Resident

Jon Anderson
    Greg Lake
    Kevin Ayers
    Robert Wyatt
    Ian Anderson

Svetonio likes this.
  12. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

I've no idea who's best, but my favourites include many who've already been mentioned, such as:

Jon Wetton
    Greg Lake
    Chris Squire
    Richard Sinclair
    Jon Anderson
    Neal Morse.

A couple whom I don't think have come up are Eric Gillette of the Neal Morse Band and Roine Stolt of The Flower Kings. Eric has an amazing range and is great at soaring choruses, while Roine's idiosyncratic and characterful singing appeals to me. :)

reapers, NorthNY Mark and Svetonio like this.
  13. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Jon Anderson, by a country mile. Wetton is excellent but nowhere near IMHO

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

For me it has to be Genesis era Peter Gabriel. He used his voice more than just as a singer singing lyrics, he used it as performance art, full of drama, passion and emotion. His performances on recording and in concert help defined the genre. Gabriel's progressive work was high on artistry, occasionally appropriately quirky and always quintessential.

VinylCountdown likes this.
  15. Uh . . . interesting take there. To each his own, I guess.

16. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Robert Wyatt
    Gary Brooker if he qualifies

Marvin likes this.
  17. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

And Geddy Lee for his uniqueness and high vocal range when in his prime. I mean, love or hate his voice, nobody else sounded like that and it makes Rush stand out (along with the excellent musicianship of course).

beavy and ARK like this.
  18. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I love Geddy! But it's hard to listen to him strain in his later years so I stick to the old records.

19. Drumaniac - R

Drumaniac - R Forum Resident

Trevor did a great job on Tempus Fuget

drds89 likes this.
  20. Drumaniac - R

Does pretty well on this tune:

drds89, carlwm, NorthNY Mark and 2 others like this.
  21. Drumaniac - R

Many of the singers mentioned are top shelf but if allowed only one it is Jon Anderson for me.
    Saw him live many times with Yes and solo and he delivers the goods!

22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

one of my classic faves !

NorthNY Mark and Drumaniac - R like this.
  23. Kevin Gilbert - likely is my favorite:

sentinel90125 and PhR like this.
  24. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

"I stand by my opinion that Wetton's singing is by far the weakest link on Red, and the one thing that actually kept me from enjoying the otherwise superb album for a good while" sounds like a Bizarro joke to me.

Totally agree. Weather or not Robert likes it, that's where his music will be lumped, he's not an American jazz musician, a folk protest singer, or a standards torch singer.

We're not necessarily going by just technical merit here. Surprised to read opinions that Cousins is not a great singer, he's not a trained singer with a wide range and he only sings like Cousins, but he's no better or worse than many well liked rock vocalists. I like a singer who can go off the rails at times and Cousins does this style very well in addition to convincingly singing childlike folk songs and forlorn balladry.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  25. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Love for Greg-The ELP era

Mikewest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.