DCC Archive Best Quality Tull

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeffrey, Jan 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi,

Other than the DCC & Mofi, which r the best quality Tull releases on cd or vinyl? What Aqualung release would come in 2nd to DCC?

The Music Never Stops,
    Jeffrey

2. eBay Feed

eBay Feed Automated

Hi,

I've got all the regular USA cds of the Tull stuff. Some are really not bad (Heavy Horses) and some are horrible (Broadsword and the Beast, A Passion Play). When MFSL did A Passion Play, I sat there and listened all the way through twice... I WAS SOOOOO HAPPY!

In most every case my LPs sound better than the CDs, and I don't even have the first pressings on most.

My Island "Stand Up" sounds fantastic, except that it is scratched up. When I bought it used, I was only really interested in the pop up cover. If I ever see a near mint Island copy, I will pay pretty much whatever it takes to get it.

Overall, the acoustic guitar and flute sound much more lifelike on the vinyl.

Hope this helps,

Tony

3. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I agree with Tony. I am fortunate to have UK original pink label Island pressings of This Was and Stand Up, as well as the UK Chrysalis Aqualung. The first time I put on Stand Up my jaw dropped - absolutely amazing acoustics. I've never heard the MFSL CD. I do like the MFSL vinyl of Aqualung though - the "smile" EQ seems to fit on this one.

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

MFSL never did a CD of this one AFAIK. The DCC version is wonderful and sound like my memory of the Island/Chrysalis UK version of Aqualung minus the surface noise that seemed to be present in every copy I tried.
    Stand Up on Island was an amazing version - lots of hiss that doesn't appear on the new CD - did I hear Peter Mew mentioned....

5. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The best vinyl version of "Stand Up" I've heard is from the UK Millenium series done about 5 years ago. Just amazing sonics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.