Best record store in Charlotte, North Carolina?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by hitmanhart408, Jan 18, 2020.

1. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey folks,

I'm hoping I get can get some recommendations on the best record stores in Charlotte preferably near downtown. I'll be there for work this week and will have 4-5 hours to kill before heading back to the airport.

Thanks!!

2. Howlin Fester

Howlin Fester Active Member

I just went to Manifest records two weeks ago while in town. I WISH I had 4-5 hours to spend there. Alas, I had to rush through in 30 minutes.

Bring an empty suitcase.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  3. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Isn’t Manifest just an FYE? The only time I was there they were in the process of changing over.

4. Howlin Fester

I don't know if Manifest was FYE or not. If it is, it is the largest one I have ever seen. It is in a strip mall on south Blvd. It is the same size or larger than Zia Records west in Vegas. That was the largest music store I've been in prior to Manifest.

It was sufficiently stocked enough to take my available money and wish I had more time.

5. Howlin Fester

I should clarify that I am from Raleigh NC. We have a bunch of smaller record stores in town but nothing that is the scope of Zia or Manifest.

In addition, I've only been to Char, Vegas, and Raleigh searching for records. And Orlando for used CDs. Only back into vinyl since 2018.

Another good one is Lunchbox records. I visited it a few years ago. It is also an excellent locally owned record store closer to Uptown Charlotte. (Char calls their downtown area "Uptown") You could easily spend time there then run down to Manifest. Both are relatively close to each other if you are not in peak drive time.

6. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic

about 3-4 years back had a chance to pop into couple of them (on a Black Friday) which if I recollect had decent collection including the RSD stuff - Lunchbox was one of them but I can't remember the name of the other.

7. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I went to Repo Records briefly because it was the closest store to where I was downtown. I walked in and the store had that old school vibe so I was looking forward to it. Unfortunately the very large rock selection was placed vertical so you had to twist your neck to look at the spine one by one. I quickly lost patience. They also had a lot of brand new records so not exactly the “old school” used vibe i initially hoped for. Prices seemed reasonable though.

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City!

I’ve only been to Lunchbox and it was excellent :cheers:

9. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

I was working in NC earlier this week, I made a point to visit Manifest Discs. Excellent store - it took me a while to find it because their sign was unlit and it was dark.
    I wish I could've spent a lttle more time there - It's a big place - I still managed to drop $100. . . ..
    In speaking with the guys on the counter they told me that they were no longer owned by FYE but were now owned by HMV!