best record store in Los Angeles area?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by chacha, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

No idea, but I went native about 30 minutes after moving here from the Bay Area. It was easy enough.

2. jeffrosen

jeffrosen Forum Resident

Amoeba is worth a visit as is Rockaway and Freakbeat. My favorite gem of a record store is Atomic Records in Burbank. Amazing jazz titles at all price ranges. I think Amoeba asks the highest prices of all the record stores in proportion to the grade of the record, but they stock a HUGE amount of new unopened vinyl.

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

:laugh:

4. goldwax

If you're looking for commonplace stuff like '80s alternative rock and such, they can be very cheap and the condition is great.

5. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Yes, it is "hit or miss". A couple of months I was in there and bought 10LPs all in mint to near mint condition. Well worth the $30 bucks.

I should add that I've been going to that store since the mid-70s...although it lost some of its sentimentality once they moved.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I moved to LA in 1977, and I always heard the 405, the 118, and the 134 freeways referred to that way. But then everybody I know calls I-10 the Santa Monica Freeway. I think it's a 3-digit thing, because they also call the 210 freeway only by number.

Once in a blue moon, somebody will call the 405 the San Diego Freeway, but it's rare. And I think people have forgotten that the 118 is the Ronald Reagan Freeway. Yet people refer to the Hollywood Freeway either by that name or as the 101. (But then, it's Hollywood, where a lotta things go both ways.)

What's always a kick for me is how out-of-towners pronounce "Cahuenga," "Sepulveda," or "Tujunga." Kinda like walking around London and asking where the "Thaaaames River" is.

7. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Best of all, Record Surplus has two bathrooms (His and Hers).

8. goldwax

Tell me about it!

9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Amoeba has the largest selection.

Just make sure you don't plan to return anything (which is a not infrequent occurrence if you buy lots of vinyl, since the lighting's so bad there) -- even with a receipt, their return counter people can be real pricks.

An SHF buddy and I were just discussing return hassles with them the other day!

10. bowling-name

bowling-name Forum Resident

There used to be more stores to recommend (I miss Aaron's Records), that said, I go to Amoeba almost every week.

I don't think the staff in Hollywood know what they are doing compared to the SF/Berkeley staff - this can be a blessing (there are some mispriced or misfiled records that are real steals) or a curse (a number of younger staff members are really rough when handling vinyl).

If I were visiting I would hit up Amoeba first, and then Record Surplus if I had any money left. There are also some wonderful private collections coming on to the market, so checking out craigslist, estate sales, and flea markets can be rewarding as well if you have time...

11. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Wasn't aware of that place. I'll have to try it out next SoCal visit! :righton:

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The other day I FINALLY watched the movie, "Knocked Up" and loved the short scene that was filmed at "Record Surplus". I told my wife, who has never been with me to this store, that when they first show the store outside, that is EXACTLY what it sounds like, with that thing spinning around and squeaking. Folks, that was brilliant movie making, in just a few seconds, as Judd thought enough to include that "instant" thing, that you always remember when shopping at "Record Surplus", brilliant!

Chris C

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I took Spanish in school, so what surprised me was how Angelenos pronounced "La Cienega."

However, I also had no idea there wasn't a place spelled "La Hoya."

14. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

Ken Scott ?

Whaty was Ken Scott doing in the L.A. area ? Curious if it had something to do with Curvebenders book ?
    Also, I have talked to vinyl collectors and all seem to agree that the S.F.Amoeba is the best of the two . I imagine it depends on which day you catch the good stuff coming in ...
    Regards
    Jake

15. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more !

It is hit or miss .Everytime I have taken in vinyl to Amoeba I insist that I take the albums out of sleeves . These inexperienced guys don't understand how fragile vinyl is in respct to scuffing . They don't handle with care ...
    Regards
    Jake

16. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

Me too, at least compared to the Bay Area stores. It's still worth a trip, though -- they easily have the best selection in LA.

17. JasonK

JasonK Active Member

Ooh. Gotta disagree there. Atomic records in Burbank has a great selection, and their business model is to price most items well below market value to keep stock moving. If you see an item you want you'd better buy it that day because it won't be there the next day. I've bought so many great bargains from there it's ridiculous. My mono parlophone SPLHCB came from there($20), I bought the Nat King Cole 20 LP capitol set from them, ($25) and most "Normal" titles are $3.99. Combined with their internet business which is thriving they are definitely not on their last legs. They also have a .50 cent pile which occasionally is unbelievable! They had a stack of over 300 SEALED jazz LP's, (re-issues and vintage, foreign pressings etc.) that they didn't want to deal with pricing so they just blew them out. Word got out and it was chaos for a day or two. I came home with 20 great albums for 10 bucks. Such a deal!

I love Amoeba, but I also love Atomic. Don't miss it. :edthumbs:

18. fruer

fruer Forum Resident

Amoeba - For the casual music fan, this is the only record store in LA. Treat it as such. Many new issues sell out immediately, the alternative/indie/electronica is picked over HEAVILY. If you're looking for anything regarding the 3 genres I mentioned prior, you're going to overpay. If you're looking for something else, you're likely to walk away with a gem. Any used vinyl over $10 needs to be taken to a counter to open. Have them cut it open for you, but open it yourself. I think the reasons for which have been covered quite well.

Atomic - Great jazz selection. Everything else is hit and miss. Great 80s collection of 45s, however.. the 45s are priced at ebay prices. The LPs and 12"s are a little more competitive with several gems to be found if you're looking for 80s/Alternative/Indie stuff.

Freakbeat - Small store. Fantastic staff. Great prices. One of my favorites. They're the anti-Amoeba in every way possible. Be advised they carry almost no jazz, no classical, etc. They are very much for 50s/60s/70s/80s rock enthusiasts.

Record Surplus - Perfect if you're looking for rock from 70s/80s. Very competitively priced, based more on condition than on scarcity. People travel from all over the globe for their sales. There's a reason why.

Rockaway - If you want to pay Ebay prices.. This is the place to go. They will have one or two things everytime you visit.. but you're going to pay fair market value. There aren't any bargains to be found here.

Rhino (Claremont) - Fantastic if you're looking for 80s/90s/00s material. Some of the vinyl is beat up, and some is priced oddly (both good and bad). Definitely worth the visit if you're the area.

Fingerprints (Long Beach) - Same deal as Rhino.

Black Hole (Brea) - If you read the NME, this is the place for you. However, expect to pay 1 1/2 to 2 times what you'd pay elsewhere in SoCal. However, if you're looking for a still sealed copy of Blur's Modern Life is Rubbish.. this is the place you'd be likely to find it.

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

There's a fantastic store near LAX that I've been going to for many years. They've greatly expanded their vinyl stock recently and the used CD selection is the largest I've seen here after Amoeba. I always find something and I go every week like clockwork.

20. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

What's it called? I'm going back home in December, and I am always looking for new places to check out.

21. musiclover56

musiclover56 New Member

the store near LAX is called Soundsations.
    well worth the visit.
    -mike

22. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Dammit...blabbermouth! :laugh: Tell Pete and Lee that Patrick and Mike sent you. Maybe we'll get a cut of the action. :D

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

My house....:righton:

24. goldwax

25. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

Amoeba is the best, Atomic Records does have great finds but they tend to get grabbed quick, so its real hit-and-miss. I also think their selection was far better a few years ago. Freakbeat is decent, the vinyl is usually in good condition too. I found Poo-Bah to have a consistently crappy selection, but real cheap. Most used LP's were a buck, but this was a few years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.