Best Record Stores in London (2015)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by bkbk, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

I'm heading to London for work next week, and I'll have a few hours to wander the city in search of records. I'm mostly looking for African stuff that's tough to track down in the US: afrobeat, late-70s/early-80s boogie, etc.

Is Honest Jon's the best spot for funky "world" music? Or is there another shop that might have a better selection for this particular niche?

2. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

It's not my thing but Alan at Alan's Records does have a funk section. Send him an email to confirm :)

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

In addition to Honest Jon's...

This place should have what you are looking for, Cosmo's Records London, 324A Hackney Rd, London E2 7AX. Only used.

You can have a look at some of their stuff on their instagram account: https://instagram.com/Cosmosrecordslondon

Soul Jazz in Soho might be worth a look as well.

mantis4tons likes this.
  4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

For anyone in the London area this weekend the legendary annual Alan's Records half-price sale starts today. I'll be there!

Robert C likes this.
  5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

YES!

6. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

I found myself hanging around Oxford Street today so I dropped into the four record shops in the immediate vicinity: Phonica Records, Sounds Of The Universe, Reckless Records and Sister Ray.

Ended up leaving all four empty-handed, which was disappointing to say the least. Sure, none of it was bad (and Sounds Of The Universe had a great selection of afrobeat downstairs - sorry it's a bit late for you @mantis4tons but maybe if you wind up in London again!) but in all there was nothing I wouldn't expect to find in the new, small record shop in my hometown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.