Best Second Song On An Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chief, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served Thread Starter

I looked for a similar thread but couldn't find anything. This thread about what you think is the best second song on an album (or cd). Particularly, I mean that after you've already heard the first song, and thought it was great, then the second song is so good that you think "holy crap this album is going to be incredible".

Some examples:
    Jackson Browne: "Fountain Of Sorrow" from Late For The Sky. The title track just blew me away and then comes "Fountain Of Sorrow". I knew I was going to LOVE this album!
    The Beatles: "Something" from Abbey Road. "Come Together" was a killer, and then when "Something" hits, you know these guys aren't messing around.
    Fleetwood Mac: "Dreams" from Rumours. "Second Hand News" was a great Lindsey opener, but "Dreams" is where you know this group has hit its stride and has made an incredible record.
    McCartney: "Jet" from Band On The Run. After the epic title track, "Jet" hits you over the head again. It says that Paul isn't fooling around this time.
    Marvin Gaye: "Come Live With Me Angel" from I Want You. The title track breaks new ground for Marvin, but the second track is where the album really gets its groove.
    The Who: "Bargain" from Who's Next. "Baby O'Riley" was clearly the beginning of a new era of Who music. "Bargain" is where you know that the group is on a roll and the rest of the album is likely to be amazing.

I could go on and on. I think that a lot of this is due to sequencing choices. In the cases I mentioned above, the sequencing was inspired. It gave the albums the momentum.

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

"Another Nail In My Heart" from Squeeze's Argybargy.

The album already starts out strong with the pop classic "Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)", then the album ratchets up the tempo, and kicks things up a notch with an even better song. The third song, "Separate Beds" is a good cool down. Great sequencing!

3. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

A lot of hip-hop albums would fit in here, however a lot of times the first track is an intro, and the second song is the kick start. Examples include Beastie Boys' "Shake Your Rump" and Public Enemy's "Bring The Noise". Although Digable Planets' "Black Ego" would be perfect in this case.

Let's see:
    Graham Central Station-"Release Yourself" (from Release Yourself)
    Pink Floyd-"Dogs" (from Animals) (in this case, "Pigs On The Wing" could be considered the intro, but I'll throw it in)
    Melvins-"Oven" (from Ozma)
    Metallica-"Master Of Puppets" (from Master Of Puppets)
    Faith No More-"Epic" (from The Real Thing)
    Brownstone-"Grapevyne" (from From The Bottom Up)
    UTFO-"Ya Cold Wanna Be With Me" (from Lethal)

4. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

The Rolling Stones Exile On Main Street

starts off with Rocks Off and then kicks it up another gear with Rip This Joint

5. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin IV

Zeppelin used to start its post LZ IV concerts with Rock and Roll, but it is actually the second song on the album (following Black Dog). They didn't tour often, so it was great to hear Plant start with "Its been a long time...."

Cadillac seems to like it too. ;)

6. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

Some good ones listed here. I always liked the way "Summer's Cauldron" segued into "Grass" on XTC's Skylarking.

Edit: Ah... here's two I was trying to remember before: two Jorma picks: "Good Shepherd" from Volunteers, and "Water Song" from Burgers.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

This makes me want to start another thread on "Worst Second Songs." A weak song coming second can really throw your impression of an album off, even if the rest of the songs are good.

8. macready

macready New Member

The Beach Boys - "This Whole World" from SUNFLOWER
    Matthew Sweet - "I've Been Waiting" from GIRLFRIEND
    Journey - "Stone In Love" from ESCAPE
    Terry Reid - "Seed Of Memory" from SEED OF MEMORY
    Oasis - "Shakermaker" from DEFINITELY MAYBE

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

"Graceland"
    "The Ballad of El Goodo" on Big Star's #1 Record
    "You Still Believe In Me" on Pet Sounds
    "Dear Prudence" on the White Album
    "Paranoid Android" on OK Computer

10. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

No One to Depend On - Santana (III)

11. shakti

shakti Senior Member

A House Is Not a Motel following Alone Again Or on Love's Forever Changes
    Venus de Milo following See No Evil on Television's Marquee Moon

12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served Thread Starter

I was thinking the same thing. For instance, after "Carry On", I think CSNY's Deja Vu grinds to a halt with "Teach Your Children" (even though it was a big hit). I think there are probably a lot more really good albums with an average second song than an incredible second song.

There are also a lot of cases where the first 1,2,3 songs or so knock you out, and then thats all there is.

13. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Grand champion in this category: "The Ballad of El Goodo" from Big Star's #1 Record.

Actually, I'm not as enamoured of the lead track, "Feel," as many seem to be, much as I revere the album as a whole. But once Track 2 hits, it's off to the races.

14. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Dancing Queen- second track on Abba's Arrival.

15. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Aqualung>Cross-Eyed Mary
    Heavy Horses>Acres Wild
    Songs From The Wood.>Jack-In-The-Green
    Broadsword And The Beast>Clasp
    Crest Of A Knave>Farm On The Freeway

16. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Hrmmm... my vote for kickass second track on an album would go to "We Are The Champions" on Queen's "News Of The World". The one-two punch of "We Will Rock You" and Champs really kicked that album off in fine style.
    Another favourite second song would be "Candle In The Wind" from Elton's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road".
    Oh and not to forget another song I love, "Oh Yeah" is the second track on Roxy's excellent "Flesh & Blood" album. A brilliant track, on a stunning album.
    Dire Straits often produced great "second tracks" like "Romeo & Juliet" and "Money For Nothing".
    Fun thread. A little mind bending too - as I trawl through the old grey matter trying to remember which songs came where on what albums! <grin>

Steve

17. shakti

shakti Senior Member

Somebody to Love following She Has Funny Cars on Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow
    Machine Gun following Who Knows on Hendrix' Band of Gypsys

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Dear Prudence" - Beatles' White Album
    "Don't Worry Baby" - Beach Boys' Shut Down Volume 2

Unfortunately both albums have a couple of turkeys on them.

"Norwegian Wood" - Beatles' Rubber Soul
    "Eleanor Rigby" - Beatles' Revolver
    "These Days" - R.E.M. Lifes Rich Pageant
    "Innocent Man" - Billy Joel's Innocent Man
    "Stupid Girl" - Rolling Stones' Aftermath
    "My Obsession" - Rolling Stones' Between Buttons
    "No Expectations" - Rolling Stones' Beggar's Banquet

Hmm, the Rolling Stones may have been the kings of the 2nd song. :)

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

"Dear Prudence" from the White Album
    "When The Whip Comes Down" from Some Girls
    "Cry Baby" from Pearl
    "Feel Like Making Love" from Straight Shooter
    "Maybe Your Baby" from Talking Book
    "Bell Bottom Blues" from Layla

20. Bob_Rush

Bob_Rush Forum Resident

Freewill following Spirit of Radio on Rush's Permanent Waves
    Red Barchetta following Tom Sawyer on Moving Pictures

Bob

21. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

The Doors: The Soft Parade album opens with "Tell All the People" (which is a good enough song), but then it really gets good with the second song, "Touch Me."

The Doors: The Morrison Hotel album opens with "Roadhouse Blues", then the second song on the album is "Waiting For the Sun" which I like a whole lot better.

22. claypool

claypool New Member

I second "Paranoid Android" from Radiohead's OK Computer although the opener "Airbag" is one of the best first tracks

23. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

"Girl From The North Country" - from Bob Dylan's "The Free Wheelin' Bob Dylan."
    "All I've Got To Do" - from the "With the Beatles."
    "Shore Leave" - from Tom Waits' "Swrodfishtrombones"
    "No Expectations" - from the Stones, "Beggars Banquet"

24. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

My Best Friend's Girl - The Cars

Jet - Wings

Somebody Made For Me - Emitt Rhodes

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty

25. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"I Saw Her Standing There" from Meet the Beatles! ... perhaps this wasn't an "official" album, but for millions of Americans, it was official until the CD era.

"The Ledge" from Tusk ... after hearing this, you KNEW you weren't getting Rumours II.

"Sandman" from America (their debut album)

"Dirty Work" from Can't Buy a Thrill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.