Best Song on Jimi Hendrix’s Are You Experienced Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

In the poll the US tracklist (including singles) beats the original. Just Red House sneaks back on the album. One could easily see this coming. Funny thing is Red House seems to get back at the expense of Fire. It seems right, althoug my choice for the weakest link making room for Red House would be perhaps Love or Confusion.

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I do have a copy of the set, but I haven't heard it since it came out. Don't remember that version. I'll have to circle back to it.

Purple Jim likes this.
  3. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

The Wind Cries Mary

So laid back. Great fluid solo. Looking forward to the mono!

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. konajinx

konajinx Forum Resident

"Third Stone from the Sun" for me.

5. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

The title track. Pick one single track released up till then that sounds even remotely like this... Just pure genius.

DTK likes this.
  6. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

They have. I picked one up around 2010. There are two versions. US and UK. Both have all songs in difference sequence. Not sure if still in print.

7. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

What an album.

8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

My error, I've never had the UK version, and the OP said it was both versions combined... (?)
    Strange that it was listed. I love the song regardless, but...

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

As I said in an earlier post, "That track listing isn't just US + UK, by the way, it's the North American CD track listing with single B-side bonus tracks, too."

10. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

While, I think a couple of the songs, like "Third Stone" are technically superior to others on the album; I have to go with "Foxey Lady." That was one of those songs that was a life changer for me when I was young. Overall, this album is brilliant. I mean what a debut in 1967. Who else sounded even remotely like that? No one.

DTK likes this.
  11. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

A particularly difficult album to choose the best song from but today it is...

Manic Depression, no it's Third Stone, no Purple Haze, no Are You Experienced, no Love Or Confusion....

DTK and Vintage1976 like this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Wind Cries >
    Third Stone >
    Experienced

13. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

I love all of this album so much it's impossible to pick one song as the best or as my favorite. So today's random pick... Manic Depression.

DTK likes this.
  14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Possibly the best debut album ever.

All Down The Line, SG47 and DTK like this.
  15. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

Decided to put this Fantastic Album on right now as a result of this thread!

All Down The Line and DTK like this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The meteoric rise of Jimi the solo artist must be unparalleled. From a position of poverty and hustling he conquered the world and released two ground-breaking albums within little more than one year.

All Down The Line, EVOLVIST and SG47 like this.
  17. I'm SO glad this poll asked for my 'favorite' song from this album -- and not which one I thought was the 'best'.

Because as hard as 'favorite' was to pick -- it's an order of magnitude harder to argue for which one is the best of them all.

I went with "Manic Depression" -- but there are at least half-a-dozen other songs that I think are damn near as good.

Probably the VERY first album I ever probably listened to 100 times (back in high school my sophomore year, around 1984-85).

Dan Steele and SG47 like this.
  18. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

The Wind Cries Mary is indeed majestic, but Jimi took the riff from Elvis Presley's Jailhouse Rock, so I'm not sure I'd say it was written in under an hour.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  19. Vintage1976

Vintage1976 Way Out West

Looking back on this thread, I have such fond memories of zoning out to this album in my youth (late 80s, early 90s) on headphones.

As a side note, on a couple tracks, I find the BBC session cuts to be just as strong as the studio versions. "Love or Confusion" is one.

20. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Top 3 in order of preference...

1.The Third Stone From The Stone...roots of side 3 from EL, (my favorite Hendrix studio performance) was created here

2.The Wind Cries Mary...with its colorful lyric imagery the 60s premier psychedelic avatar crafted a bonafide masterpiece of mind expanding rhythm & blues balladry

3.Foxey Lady...a great single & it made everything else on A.M. Top 40 radio sound tame in comparison

21. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Today, it's Stone Free

22. dee

dee Senior Member

#1,2, 4-12, and #14...

23. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I'm baffled that May This Be Love got so few votes. Shocked, even. I don't know that it's my "favorite", but I'd say that it may be the most musically "sophisticated" track on the album -- a worthy precursor to Axis: Bold as Love.

All Down The Line likes this.
  24. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

But, then again, Remember may be in my top fifteen Hendrix tracks -- on certain days, anyway.

Perhaps there's something wrong with me... :shrug:

25. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Third Stone From The Sun,if that was the only song that Hendrix had ever recorded,he would still be regarded as one of the greatest guitar players off all time.

Kassonica likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.