Best Song on Pink Floyd’s ‘More’ Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, May 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

What’s your favourite song on More? It’s going to be a landslide, but eh it’s more about the other picks anyway.

I love this album. Total pot album. My pick is Cirrus Minor, which just started a week ago. Before then it was always Cymbaline by far. My guess is Cymbaline, Green Is the Colour then The Nile Song. Funny song but there’s no way A Spanish Theme, the worst Pink Floyd song imo will get a vote. Surely.

2. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Cirrus Minor for me... been in love with it since I was in my early teens and heard it on my copy of Relics that we must have bought from Woolworth’s in my home town some time around 1978. It’s always had such a sense of mystery to me.

I never used to like more, until a friend who owns a record store convinced me to give a lovely old vinyl copy a try... and now it’s essential Floyd to these ears but on my own needledrop I’ve got rid of Spanish Piece... is up the with Seamus as the worst of Floyd IMO...

3. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Cymbaline just does it for me. Great moody piece on a great moody album

4. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums from my fave band,love the whole thing like a child but went with Ibiza bar cause of Daves sound on it.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My fav by PF. Went with Cymbaline.

6. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Cymbaline. I don’t really care for More as a whole (there are a few songs I like), but I love “Cymbaline.” It’s such a strange and eerie song, but is very pretty at the same time. It sounds like music from a dream.

7. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Amazing album, one of their absolute best! My vote goes to Green Is the Colour.

8. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Fave by PF? Wow! Don’t blame you, though.

andrewskyDE and Rfreeman like this.
  9. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Cymbaline although I love it even more live.

Kristofa and Kossoff is God like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I like the pastoral tunes and Gilmour vocals, I like the edgy tunes, I like the instrumentals and jams. I could do without Quicksilver.

11. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Cymbaline, with Green Is the Colour at a close second.

andrewskyDE, ronm and pablo fanques like this.
  12. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Do you know if there’s a live version on the Early Years boxset?

13. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Yes there at least 3 different live versions on there I believe. On the Man and the Journey show it’s listed as Nightmare.

14. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Couldn't choose a fave track although I love Quicksilver a lot. A top 5 Floyd album for me.

15. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Fantastic Pink Floyd album, where the Mk.2 version finally found their feet.

Difficult to choose a favourite, but despite its sometimes dodgy lyrics, I'm voting for Cymbaline

Hawkwind covered it early on:

inperson and nsmith1002 like this.
  16. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

I love the faster version of the main theme that turned up on the Early Years. If that had been on the LP (in place of a few of the throwaways) I would have voted for it - I think it would have changed perceptions of this album quite a bit.

As is it I went for Cirrus Minor, one of a great set of Waters tunes on side 1.

17. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Listened to this CD for the first time in a long, long while recently and came away very impressed. Green Is the Colour, Cirrus Minor and Cymbaline are wonderful compositions.

But I have to go with The Nile Song. It's just a wall of volume with insane guitars and a great, great mood. They really let loose on this one. Always the song I come back to; even in the many years that passed when I did not listen to the More album.

18. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Green Is the Colour

abzach likes this.
  19. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Cirrus Minor

20. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I went with Cirrus Minor, though I associate that more with Relics as that's where I heard it first (and probably the song that got me into Floyd initially). Cymbaline is probably the signature "More" song though and is great. "Green" too is wonderful. Nile Song is one of those oddities where PF try to do "heavy" and produce their own slightly quirky, perhaps a little forced, version of heavy (which I still like by the way).

21. Twittering Machine

Twittering Machine Forum Resident

I sort of cheated and went with Ibiza Bar. Yes Cymbaline is probably my favourite but it's so familiar to me. I loved that moment when first listening to More when I discovered Ibiza Bar was like a cooler warmer version of The Nile Song with intriguing and hard-to-discern lyrics and it's only just behind Cymbaline as far as I'm concerned. I've said before it's probably the Floyd album I've listened to most, love it when they don't try too hard. Only thing lacking is Seabirds and am hoping that the inferior version they do have sees the light of day sometime, inaudible/poor/bad/unclear (whatever the adjective was) vocal or not.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Cymbaline, for me. One of my favorite early Floyd songs. I also love Green Is the Colour, as well.

23. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Cirrus Minor
    It’s perfect; the lyrics, the placement of the bird calls and that killer, eerie solo by Wright at the end.
    Great for late at night headphone listening.

24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

green is the colour for me

25. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I went with Cymbaline.Love Richard Wrights keyboard playing.One of his best.Been listening to Pink Floyd since '76 but only heard this about five years ago.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.