Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I'll Be Back

pmc7070 likes this.
  2. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Beach Boys cover of Tell Me Why is one of the best Beatle covers........sounds custom-made for them (one wouldn't think until hearing it).

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Great album, which possesses one of my Top Five Ever Fabs' songs

If I Fell

4. Be Bop Deluxe

Be Bop Deluxe Forum Resident

You had to be sitting in an actual theater in 1964 to understand just why you'll never forget hearing that first chord of "A Hard Day's Night"...

We used to practice that "running away from hordes of crazed women" routine when we were kids all the time - running, turning around, running, pretending to stumble... I was particularly talented at it as I practiced relentlessly... Needless to say it was a particularly wasted talent as the opportunities to actually "run away from hordes of crazed women" happened about as often as my meeting a leprechaun riding a unicorn...

Paulette likes this.
  5. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Since there's no way to say one song is objectively "better" than another, I interpret "best" and "favorite" as being the same in this type of thread.

6. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I voted Can't Buy Me Love.

But it was not an easy choice. Close behind are:
    And I Love Her
    I Should Have Known Better
    Things We Said Today
    If I Fell
    I’ll Cry Instead

The next tier [still really good]:
    Any Time at All
    You Can’t Do That
    Tell Me Why
    A Hard Day's Night
    When I Get Home

I think the title track has suffered from overexposure.

7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I've been enjoying the remixed "Can't Buy Me Love" from 1+ lately. There's new life in it for me.

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Interesting that I barely took If I Fell over Things We Said Today, and they are so close for 2nd that if I switched they would be tied.

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I definitely interpret the two differently in many cases. Perhaps it comes from being a musician. I'm never going to call a I IV V rock and roll tune someone's best work even if it is the most fun song to listen to.

Be Bop Deluxe and Alex D. like this.
  10. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

You Can't Do That
    Gives me chills. It's so dark and twisted (like our Johnny). Kinda like Run for Your Life. The latter, I like more.
    I thought, Wanna Be Your Man was on this (don't own it ). Was it just in the film?

11. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Exactly. If someone said "Can't Buy Me Love" was their favorite song on this album, that's totally understandable. If they tried to say it was the best song on this album, I'd make a case for a different song. People debate what's "best" all the time.

Be Bop Deluxe and Rfreeman like this.
  12. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

It's a guitarist's album for sure. Check out the video below or google 'the opening chord to a hard day's night'.

13. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

14. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Yeah. The point, for me, is that the Beatles were hugely innovative very early on. This music is superbly crafted. Ian MacDonald's book is particularly good in discussing this aspect of their work.

15. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I voted for I Should Have Known Better last night. That was last night's favourite. Today's is You Can't Do That. It's too good an album to pick one 'best', 90% of the album is 'best'. A really strong album.

Somerset Scholar, Bern and bldg blok like this.
  16. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Certainly better than Abbey Road, much more consistent.

17. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

And I Love Her

Jimbino likes this.
  18. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Agreed.

Saw Pat Metheny, in a real small club 30 (!) years ago, and he played "And I Love Her" as a solo acoustic encore.
    I wept, it was beautiful.

19. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Dilly Dilly! :wave:

20. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

My favourite has gotta be the title track. Just iconic -- from that giant opening chord (that people have taken decades for fully figure out), to, well, everything. The little lead break with guitar back with keyboard is a very cool highpoint and the bongos filtering in was also a very cool touch...Near perfect early Beatles track, that one.

21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I had to re-listen to the entire album again before I could vote.

Bern likes this.
  22. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I’ll Be Back

bldg blok likes this.
  23. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Lots of strong songs on here, but I’ll have to go with “A Hard Day’s Night”, the title track—great vocal, great energy, excellent solo, very compact and pretty much is perfect as a pop rock song. Sets a great tone for the rest of the record too.

Actually, the only song on here I would consider week on here is “Tell Me Why”.

24. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Easily “Things We Said Today”.

25. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

That, or, you know, have a different opinion. George’s playing is average at its best here.

What a ridiculous, frustrating, tired old comment. If you could point out exactly where I said or implied that that wasn’t the case, go for it. You can’t. How stupid, honestly. I get that you’re upset that I don’t appreciate your album as much as you do, but if you could refrain from the childish remarks that’d be really great. It’s you that’s getting upset over the differing of opinion, not me.

But why would you do that? Just skip the tracks then so the rest of us can enjoy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.