Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘Help!’ Album? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

1. I've Just Seen a Face
    2. Ticket to Ride
    3. Help!
    4. Yesterday
    5. You've Got to hide your Love Away
    6. You're Gonna Lose that Girl
    7. Tell Me What you See
    8. The Night Before
    9. It's Only Love
    10. Another Girl
    11. Act Naturally
    12. I Need You
    13. You Like Me Too Much
    14. Dizzy Miss Lizzy

Paulwalrus likes this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, for me.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I love every song including the instrumental music, BUT Help! is the best song!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

5. HE1NZ

HE1NZ Forum Resident

The Night Before easily. It has that special 60s sound that takes you back. Harmonies and double tracked vocals are just excellent. Also it sequenced after Help! is just perfect.

6. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

“Ticket To Ride”....I just love everything about it, especially those drums.

It was also the first Beatles song that I remember loving, when I was a small child.

7. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

“Ticket to Ride” just nudges out Hide Your Love Away to get my vote.

8. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I've Just Seen a Face. One of the better early deep cuts.

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  9. Samantha Wolf

Samantha Wolf I bite when angry...

Hide Your Love Away...not many of my favorites on that one

Trixmay 988 likes this.
  10. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

Easily the weakest pre-Soul album and besides Yellow Submarine and Let It Be, my least favourite Beatles album. Nevertheless, it rules.

1. Help!: Astonishingly good. One of the best Beatles songs. Superb lyrics, melody, everything. This along with the next three stand-out as being way too good for the rest of the album imo. 10/10.

2. Ticket To Ride: Absolutely magnificent. Pop/rock gold. Addictive and Ringo’s unique drum pattern still sounds fresh today. 10/10.

3. Yesterday: It’s an all-time classic. Nothing to add. 10/10.

4. I’ve Just Seen a Face: A song that fits and works much better as the intro to the original U.S. release of Rubber Soul. Being chucked on the lacklustre second side of this album doesn’t do it justice. It’s a brilliant folk rock song that sounds like it would’ve been a highlight on Beatles For Sale. Rapid fire lyrics and stand-out guitar playing. 10/10.

5. You’re Going To Lose That Girl: Really damn impressive and one of the poppiest songs on the album. Brilliant lyrics and I love the scene in the movie that goes along to it. I don’t really find the instrumentation all that interesting, though. 9/10.

6. The Night Before: Folk rock goodness. Great melody. 9/10.

7. It’s Only Love: Both this and YGTHYLA sound like predecessors to the more touching Lennon songs of Rubber Soul (except nowhere near as good). It’s pretty good with again great lyrics but perhaps too short. 8.5/10.

8. You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away: A bit short but decent lyrics and decent melody. 8/10.

9. Another Girl: Decent pop/rock. Used to be one of my favourites on the album but now it’s only decent to my ears. 8/10.

10. Tell Me What You See: The “Tell me what you see” bit with the little instrumental interlude afterwards makes the song, but other than that it comes off as filler and pretty weak for I believe a McCartney and Lennon co-written song (not just in credit). 7/10.

11. You Like Me Too Much: George’s contributions to this album are very poor and are easily his worst two songs (besides Only a Northern Song) which is a shame given how absolutely fantastic his previous (Don’t Bother Me) and his next (Think For Yourself and If I Needed Someone) are. Come on, George... at least it’s catchy. 6.5/10.

12. I Need You: Dull and clunky is how I’d describe this song. At least it’s catchy. 6/10.

13. Act Naturally: I’m not one to use the word filler because ‘filler’ is in the ear of the beholder, but this and Dizzy Miss Lizzy probably were filler tracks given that they’re the only covers on the album... and imo are the two very worst (besides Honey Don’t). Good playing though. 5/10.

14. Dizzy Miss Lizzy: The hardest rocking song on the album by far but it sounds out of place and wrecks the ending. Whose idea was it to put this after one of the greatest ballads ever written as the album conclusion? It sounds out of place in that it sounds like a With the Beatles/Beatles For Sale song, not Help! None of the rest of the album has this generic rock ‘n’ roll sound on it. The rest is folk or pop rock. 4/10.

Hermes likes this.
  11. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

Title track for me.

JcS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.