Best Song on The Beatles' 'Please Please Me' Poll?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Please Please Me

2. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

There's a Place is my favorite.

linclink likes this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Multiple choices would've been nice. There are quite a lot of great songs on this album.
    Five picks from me: 'I Saw Her Standing There', 'Misery', 'Ask Me Why', 'There's A Place' and 'Twist And Shout'

linclink likes this.
  4. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Gotta go with the Ringo track: Boys

What can I say? He's my favorite Beatle lol. :winkgrin:

Hall Cat, Gramps Tom and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I voted Secret. Very close behind is There's A Place....

6. opieandy

opieandy MusicIsLife

Ask Me Why is one of the "underrated" songs (don't really believe in that term, but the song is under the radar). I first heard it on Birth of the Beatles, before I started binging on Beatles' albums. It really plays nicely in that movie. Very moving and poignant, associated Astrid and Stu's love, and ultimately, the death of Stu.

7. Contact Lost

Contact Lost Forum Resident

IMO, There's a place. I was immediately hooked when I heard it first time. Amazing track.

8. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

The title track

9. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Please Please Me

10. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I picked "Boys"...

Ringo's hardest rock while in the band & Goerge attacks his instrument like a man possessed...

Add John & Paul whooping it up in the background ala the early 5 Royales & Gene Vincents Blue Caps...

The whole band locked into a driving rhythm that could rival the Stones...

& you have a smokin piece of hard rock heaven

Hall Cat likes this.
  11. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Please Please Me

12. Jepogar

Jepogar Member

Please Please Me - and I've always enjoyed Do You Want to Know a Secret too.

13. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

1. There’s a Place: Quite introspective lyrics which is uncharacteristic for pre-‘65 Beatles (John). Retreating to the back of your mind in troubled times is pretty deep, even if it’s just a surface entrance into the subject matter, for such an early song. Besides that, the song itself is superb. “And it’s my miiiiiind, and there’s no tiiiiiime, when I’m alone.” Beautiful. 10/10.

2. Please Please Me: A huge step-up from the pedestrian (in comparison) pop/rock of Love Me Do. This song is gold. Love Ringo’s fills and love the harmonica. 10/10.

3. Twist and Shout: A classic early Beatles song. This is how you do a cover. 10/10.

4. I Saw Her Standing There: A hell of a way to start an album. This thing grooves so hard with fantastic guitar playing by Harrison and the solo ranks as one of their all time best, but that’s not even the best part, Paul’s bassline is unbeatable. 10/10.

5. Boys: Some good old motown rock ‘n’ roll. Ringo’s voice fits the song perfectly and the whole thing just rocks. 10/10.

6. Baby It’s You: John’s vocals are great and I love the melody. 10/10.

7. Anna (Go To Him): John again does a wonderful job with the song and delivers the lyrics really well. I like the mood of this song, which the background vocals lend to well. 9.5/10.

8. Misery: Short but sweet. Very sweet. Not really anything special by itself, just really enjoyable. 9.5/10.

9. Ask Me Why: “I can’t conceive, of anymore, misery.” Please Please Me is quite a melancholic album. Lots of tracks about heartbreak and relationship issues which is unusual for a rock band to start with I would’ve thought but I love it. Very different to With the Beatles which is mostly rock ‘n’ roll. Probably why this album appeals to me the most of all the early ones. 9/10.

10. Do You Want To Know a Secret: I love George’s vocal on it. Not really his performance, just the sound of his voice. I’ve always thought this song doesn’t sound overly Beatley - well, it does, but even still it’s quite different sounding. Good atmosphere. The production does a good job of making it sound like you’re watching a performance of it in a small dirty cavern. 9/10.

11. Love Me Do: It’s good and I know I’d kill to have something half this good as my first single but it’s always only sounded like a prelude to what’s to come. Like I said, it’s a bit pedestrian in comparison to later singles, but it’s good, catchy stuff. 9/10.

12. A Taste of Honey: What’s so inferior about this song to everything pre-number 7? Nothing, really. If someone jumbled any of 7-14 around in any order I wouldn’t blame them. The album’s very consistent and I love all of it. This is the weakest, but barely. 8.5/10.

13. Chains: George’s first vocal. It’s a good, catchy, pop/rock song but that’s about it. 7/10.

14. P.S. I Love You: It sounds very dated. Much more than the rest on the album. Nevertheless, it’s an alright song, but pretty weak for the band. 6.5/10.

Hermes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.