Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘Revolver’? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Don’t blame you at all. Recently it has stood out to me more than any other song on the album. It’s just a fantastic little rocker.

Love You To is a top 3 track for me as well. Underappreciated gem and one of the most innovative things they did.

What? It was a passing comment, not the topic of the thread. There have been no other polls where you pick your favourite song on the album. What is with people and complaining about threads being repetitive lately when a few searches will show you that’s not true?

Hermes likes this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

3. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

If I could save only one Beatles song from extinction when aliens invade the Earth, it would be Tomorrow Never Knows...

4. jslcaballo

jslcaballo Oh the ritual when I lay down your crooked arm

5. manco

manco Forum Resident

My other top Revolver tracks after TNK:

Taxman, Eleanor Rigby, Love You To, For No One, I Want to Tell You, Got to Get You Into My Life

6. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

Here, There, and Everywhere. Arguably the greatest pop song even written.

Bevok likes this.
  7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Here, There and Everywhere - no contest.

oldsurferdude and pool_of_tears like this.
  8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I know which song will win, but I voted for Eleanor Rigby.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  9. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

#1 - Tomorrow Never Knows
    #2 - Taxman
    #3 - I'm Only Sleeping

I actually prefer Yellow Submarine to Eleanor Rigby
    (and prefer the string arrangement on As Tears Go By)

YardByrd likes this.
  10. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I was just about to post something very similar; it is an extremely tough choice, every song on the album is great in it's own way, and it is arguably my favourite album of all time, if I had to pick just one, so choosing one song is very difficult. I could on any given day choose psych masterpieces like 'She Said She Said', 'I'm Only Sleeping' and of course the tour-de-force unique classic that is 'Tomorrow Never Knows', or Paul's beautiful ballads 'Here, There and Everywhere' and 'Eleanor Rigby', but I too have to go with 'For No One', Paul's greatest lyric for me.

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  11. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't, but I do think Yellow Sub gets a bad press that it doesn't deserve.

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's a tie for for me between TNK and Eleanor Rigby

angelees, mr. steak and Paulwalrus like this.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

That's a great one. It almost sounds like it has a '70s production to it. Ahead of it's time.

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Revolver is their best album. Best song? TNK. Kinda surprised Taxman is so low on the poll.

15. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Revolver is the greatest album in pop/rock history imho. Tomorrow Never Knows is the work of a demented? and godlike genius and so original (when were drones last part of Western Music?) that it got my vote over 13 other highly worthy tracks, including the drug anthem "Yellow Submarine".

16. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Tomorrow Never Knows does absolutely nothing for me, but Got To Get You Into My Life and, And Your Bird Can Sing are two of the Beatles very best!

Bevok likes this.
  17. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

“She Said She Said”

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I voted She Said She Said. Everyone thinks it's such a big deal about Peter Fonda saying "I know what it's like to be dead", but Lennon just used that line as the jumping off point for one of the best songs ever written about a couple losing their ability to communicate with one another. Beautiful. Just about perfect.

ianuaditis, MarkTWIC and jparis51 like this.
  19. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I vote Dr. Robert because it’s my favorite Beatles song.

plentyofjamjars67 likes this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Both TNK and AYBCS sit firmly in my all-time top ten list of favorite Beatle songs/recordings; they are my first and second favorites from the album, respectively.

21. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

And Your Bird Can Sing, which is also my favorite Beatles song by far (Let It Be is #2)

DK Pete likes this.
  22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That's a key question...and for the answer I refer to Ian MacDonald who, regardless what one may think of his book, Revolution In The Head, pointed out something crucial: beyond writing great songs, The Beatles wrote GREAT RECORDS. Two such stand-out examples, IMO, both happen to be John Lennon songs: Tomorrow never Knows and Strawberry Fields.

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"Eleanor Rigby" for its revolutionary- for- its- time Baroque strings with no guitars or drums, and poetic lyrics that stand up alongside the character sketches of E.A. Robinson.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

ACBYS is my #6.
    ...oh, what the hec...:
    1-I Want To Hold Your Hand-The positivity and exuberance which is representative of "everything Beatles" is contained in this record.
    2-Penny Lane
    3-Strawberry Fields
    4-Hey Jude
    5-TNK
    6-AYBCS
    7-Nowhere man
    8-Paperback Writer
    9-It Won't Be Long
    10-All My Loving

...for my money, the last two are THE official Beatle singles that never were.

25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I agree 100% that it's all killer-no filler. "Yellow Submarine" (a #1 hit, by the way) gets a lot of hate here, but in 1966, it was even pretty innovative with its noisy nautical sound effects. Other artists had been doing novelty songs for decades, but no one expected this type of thing from the Beatles.

VQR, tages, Uncle Miles and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.