Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘Revolver’? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

Both psychedelic Lennon songs that mention dying/otherwordly experience (making me feel like I've never been born...)

2. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Well, that could be the reason: People love melody - and Rubber Soul. Things don't have to be groundbreaking news to be good.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

That's about the extent of it.

No, but they often have to be groundbreaking to be the best.

4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Not even a contender to

"Tomorrow Never Knows"

Maybe my fave Fabs track ever.

John changed the rules with this incredibly revolutionary (for its time) soundscape.

FWIW, I think "Here, There and Everywhere" (which isn't polling very well) may be Paul's all-time greatest (Fabs or Wings or solo) love song.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  5. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Personal favourite is Here, There and Everywhere - just the beautiful, haunting melody.

But in retrospect TNK must have been an incredible head-mash of a song back then. Incredible. Still sounds fresh and challenging now.

6. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Revolver is an incredible album. It really does need a proper box set like "The Beatles" is just about to receive. There are a couple of tracks I don't listen to: "Eleanor Rigby" (it's just depressing) and "Yellow Submarine" (I've heard it enough), but they're just as much a part of the greatness of the album as anything else. "Yellow Submarine" is a huge part of the Beatles image with the general public to this day and of course there was a film.

As I've said elsewhere the reason it's taken so long to reach the same level of appreciation as some of the other albums is that a different version was released in the United States and it was only in the 1980s that the original UK version became standard there.

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

For whatever reason, I love the songs on this LP, but don't give it much listening time anymore. I do recall playing "I'm Only Sleeping" over and over again when I was a young whipper snapper, hence that was my vote.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  8. A Saucerful of Scarlets

I've heard this album the least of any of theirs besides Yellow Submarine. I'm sick of the first 3 songs but everything else I can still enjoy to an extent.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  9. BPMC

BPMC Forum Resident

"And Your Bird Can Sing" had always been my favorite... at least since the original Parlaphone album was reissued here in America. Prior to that, it was my favorite off of Yesterday and Today.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  10. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

I'm also surprised at the amount of votes for Bird. It's a fun song, but more votes than For No One?.

11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I also voted for "I'm Only Sleeping". Was very dismayed to find a great clean used copy of Revolver awhile ago, very affordable, but it's a US Parlophone that omitted "I'm Only Sleeping" for some crazy reason.

I also find the song to be one of Lennon's best psychedelic songs.

12. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

I love I'm Only SLeeping. One of my fave John songs.

13. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

Oof! I chose TNK, but Here, There and Everywhere, She Said She Said, and And Your Bird Can Sing are all contenders. -E

14. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

FOR NO ONE

DrJ and A Saucerful of Scarlets like this.
  15. "Tomorrow Never Knows"

Honorable Mentions:
    "And Your Bird Can Sing"
    "Here, There & Everywhere"
    "Love You To"

16. erocky

erocky Senior Member

Tomorrow Never Knows is my favorite song on Revolver. A masterpiece and cool contributions by the other Beatles.

17. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

Eleanor Rigby.

And it’s not even close, honestly.

It’s haunting and bleak, yet uplifting. The chorus is a literal sigh to the heavens. Ahhh, look at all the lonely people. This is a song that leaves an indelible mark on the listener, because it encapsulates the human condition not just in a story, but also in a sound.

I understand why so many are impressed by TNK, as it is quite the knockout experimental track, a glitchy-electronic pop piece in 1966, but it’s not much of a song, and for me the words don’t really make much of an impression. It’s more about those exceptional tape loops.

18. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Isn't it a drawn out "I"? "I look at all the lonely people."
    Tomorrow Never Knows transports me to another world. Eleanor Rigby leaves me here on Earth, feeling sorrowful. That's why I like TNK more.

angelees likes this.
  19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm Only Sleeping is my pick.

20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I'm no longer a young pup.

I'm less angry and restless than I used to be.

I respond to a hauntingly lovely melody

I favor simple, clear lyrics that convey universal human experiences in an extraordinary way.

I generally gravitate toward Paul's best work over John's, more so the older I get.

And there just aren't enough pop tunes with killer French horn solos.

Obviously, I chose "For No One."

I love all of Paul's songs on REVOLVER though. "Eleanor Rigby" a close second (probably "better" objectively, in terms of breaking new ground and influence for sure, but I just love "For No One"), "Good Day Sunshine" is a gem too in completely the opposite way, "Here There and Everywhere" lovely.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  21. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

I understand and agree with all the love/praise for TNK but I still choose Eleanor. The strings alone are just so wonderful. Add in that melody and Pauly's voice......jeez.
    What some others have to say about the piece.

What a Sophie's choice with this.

22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

It's truly great, but - and I'm gonna quickly find that guy hiding under a chair thing given the way I predict people will react here - to me the real masterpiece is the Giles Martin mash-up of TNK with "Within You, Without You" on LOVE.

FREAKING amazing, and the one instance on the recording where he actually IMHO did the Beatles one better.

There, I said it. Now, I'll be hiding...

:hide:

23. A Saucerful of Scarlets

Haha, I like this.
    Here's my version.

I'm still a young pup.

I'm restless but happy.

I respond to music that can interpret otherworldly or otherwise unique experiences.

I favor lyrics that convey these experiences.

I generally gravitate towards John's work.

And there just aren't enough pop tunes with yawning in them.

So despite my 'experiences' comment, I'm not picking Tomorrow Never Knows but instead I'm Only Sleeping?

DrJ likes this.
  24. A Saucerful of Scarlets

About Paul's voice, definitely. That is unless you're listening to the original stereo mix... way to ruin the song.

This is how I first heard the songs through the video game, so I understand your love even if I prefer the originals. He did a bloody excellent job on these. One of the few times it didn't feel forced.

DrJ likes this.
  25. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Nicely done, love your style. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.